add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Using Norton. Still getting random pop-ups.

MooshroomForest

55 months ago

I have Norton and I talked to them and removed all the potential viruses and malware on my computer, but still get pop-up ads all over the place. When I accidently click on them, it leads me to a notification saying to calling Comcast and fix something. I have done that, but it still continues. What should I do? Also, what is the best antivirus?

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 3 points

First off, SCREW NORTON. Sorry, but I had the same trouble you did. Get the trials of avast antiviris and anti-malaware and have a full scan on your computer. Do yourself a favor, and uninstall norton. Also, look up iobit scanner to get rid of unnecessary junk and to be able to boost your computer's performance a good bit.

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

I use Windows Defender / MS Security Essentials with Malwarebytes. Never had an issue.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Which internet browser are you using?

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Internet explorer with google as the search engine.

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

Switch to Google Chrome, or Firefox. Trust me your life will be better.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

As in, remove the stock IE and download one of those?

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

No you can keep IE on your computer but download another browser, and just use that.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I would go for Firefox. Chrome is fast and simple, but a resource hog. IE 11 was very well optimized to use as little CPU and RAM as possible and keep things to as little paged entries as needed. Chrome has no problem making sure each tab is its own process and makes sure to use enough RAM and CPU to actually make your machine slow down. Firefox was pretty good in that regard, if I remember correctly, although, I've been using IE11 - and now Edge, so it's been a little while. I do still use Chrome on my main rig only because it can handle all of what it needs without problems at all.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Internet Explorer is your first problem. Go with either Google Chrome or Firefox. Second, don't click the ads and sure as hell don't do what they tell you to do. Next, the best free anti virus software is Malware Bytes. In my opinion Trend Micro is the best payed anti virus next to Norton. Norton takes up a lot a lot a lot of RAM.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Hopefully it wasn't the old Microsoft Technical Support scammers you called. I remember there was a Norton scam too. Anyway screw norton. I'd install and run Malwarebytes in safe mode first.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, it probably was, but they didn't change anything and I called real Norton afterwards. They fake MS guys said my computer was being accessed by some guys in Nigeria.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd recommend a clean os install then. They've probably changed your system configuration as well. I wouldn't use Norton again. ESET NOD32 and Malwarebytes is all you need.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Here is a video of the scam. http://youtu.be/sA7Yk2wGFIQ

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

i don't understand why people hate on Norton. i use it and Malwarebytes and I've yet to have any problems, aside from having to temporarily deactivate it to install the new Star Citizen launcher. (i think that was my fault though) Norton should be fine.

if you have Comcast internet there's the problem. i cant stand Comcast because they're a bunch of uptight losers.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep, I have Comcast internet.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

and there is the problem :P my neighbors had comcast internet they let me use before they moved and even with Ad Block i still got comcast ads all the time. i can't stand them for several reasons and i refuse to have their internet now

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, I am under 18 and have to live with their choice.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

same here :P technically there's no internet access at my house sooo we have a verizon jetpack. guess how fun that isn't?

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I am also using Ethernet instead of wi-fi at my house since it is faster, but would that affect something?

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

First download this and uninstall Norton.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

Then Google ESET NOD32 and Malwarebytes free version. Run full scans from both new programs.

[comment deleted]
  • 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Bitdefender seems nice. Which one would you recommend?

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

yep bitdefender and Kaspersky are probably the best. This 2 sites are the best for AV comparatives.

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

http://www.av-comparatives.org/dynamic-tests/

check page 9

http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/avc_prot_2015a_en.pdf

page 6 and 7 (obviously you can check the whole doc)

http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/avc_fdt_201503_en.pdf

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I would highly disagree. The best is listed in my below comment.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I would highly disagree. The best is listed in my below comment

really.... please show some proof.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Proof is from experience. Kaspersky is complete crap. Stuff that Staples and such tries to sell. It's crap all it will do is cause problems.

[comment deleted]
  • 55 months ago
  • 1 point

'mozzarella firefox' was that a typo

[comment deleted]
  • 55 months ago
  • 2 points

possibly the best autocorrect ive seen

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

A lot of Antivirus scanners used to flag one another thinking each was malicious software. Most have been updated and improved to be able to tell the difference and stay out of each other's business. Norton just sucks.

[comment deleted]
  • 55 months ago
  • 2 points

Haven't had any issues. I use AVG+Malwarebites and they play nicely together for me.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Same here.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply on a 4 month old post on my dead account. lol, thanks for the help.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube