add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Why not just SSD?

Cliphy

51 months ago

So I am looking into building my first computer...mainly for gaming, but minor work stuff too. My question is- why go with HDD at all? If I can afford a 500 GB SSD, would that be enough? Or even a bit larger. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Comments

• 51 months ago
  • 3 points

Main reason: A lot of data doesn't need that speed. Music, images, "low def" video, text documents... You can put them on an SSD, but you're not using the SSD effectively that way. Considering the $/GB difference between SSDs and HDDs, it's like getting a 1600w 80+ Platinum PSU for a basic "using integrated graphics" build; that extra money spent could go to something more useful.

As for machines being SSD only, that's still going to be limited to those who can't have the quirks of an HDD (noise, vibration...) or need a specific form factor, like M.2, since their case doesn't support an HDD.

• 51 months ago
  • 2 points

Still pricy, but if you can swing it it's not a bad way to go. In a few years most basic machines will be ssd only.

• 51 months ago
  • 2 points

you can also get USB external Hard drives as well if you run out of space for storage.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

In my experience with 4 different USB external spinning hard drives, none have lasted nearly as long as their internal counterparts. I actually stripped one out of its casing and converted it into my second internal hdd, as can be seen in my build post. I don't get it, but it's like the USB connector for some of those cases just really suck or something. The other ones I used to have all just crapped out on me after 2-3 years besides one that still works but has a hard time being recognized unless the cord is in just the right way...

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

There's nothing wrong with doing that. I hand a SSD only build - the first one I got was a samsung 850 pro 120gb that has my OS and a couple programs and a couple games. Then I have a 250gb arc 100 that cost less than the 850 pro that I keep the rest of my games and programs. I don't have movie or music collections so I really have anything that wouldn't benefit from a SSD (a couple word documents and such but those basically take up no space). I don't have any huge large games, so 370gb is plenty for overprovisioning and my stuff- I still have nearly 160gb left.

If you don't know if 500gb would be enough, I would think it would be enough. At least until you have the money for more (when prices will be cheaper). I'm guessing you have a computer now. How much data do you use on it? How much data would you want for the new games you would be able to play with your upgraded computer (what games do you want to play)?

In general, I think 10% overprovisioning is considered the minimum you should have (so 50gb) and more may be recommended although I'm sure it depends on the SSD.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Price per gb, you'll still pay more for an SSD by at least a factor of two even if comparing 250gb HDDs to low end 250gb SSDs, where 250gb HDDs cost about x2.5 the price per gb of 1TB HDDs - it costs about $10-$15 more for a 1tb HDD compared to a 250gb HDD. If you compare 250gb/500gb SSDs to 1TB HDDs, you are paying about x8 as much per gb compared to a good SSD like the 850 evo.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

If everyone could afford it, everyone would probably go SSD only.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

As everyone has said it pretty much purely a price issue.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Only other reason I can think of that you might go with HDD instead of SSD is if you knew you were going to be doing a truly insane amount of little writes to the drive over the course of its lifespan. SSD MTBF is hugely better than it used to be, but it still doesn't quite meet HDD MTBF under such a circumstance (and even then, you'd want to have some kind of flash - RAM or SSD - to buffer whatever the hell you were doing that took so many little writes).

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

if you have the money, grab larger SSD's. It will only be faster, or the fastest :)

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

I use 2 500GB 850 Evo for all my data. I don't bother with HDD anymore

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

You can certainly make it work. I remember my first real computer only had something like a 60gb hdd. Buying my first 250gb external hard drive was so awesome....

Anyway, I'm only 23, so I've only been using computers for about 15 years. I know back then games and all files in general were much smaller, but even by today's standards, if you just practiced regular PC housekeeping and only keeping installed games you actively play, I don't think you need more than 500gb really. A lot of people double up with spinning drives for raid arrays or just cheap large storage solutions for the extra space with large media folders. I do use a spinning hard drive to hold all my movies, games, and music, but only because I have a small SSD and recycled the hdd from an old computer. If I were building now, I might consider not using an hdd at all. With all the cloud storage solutions out there too, it can certainly be done.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Excellent question and the answer is simple....do it. HDD have a releatively short usable life because they are mechanical and subject to failure. SSD's are a superior technology. If you have the bucks to buy one, you'd be foolish not to.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

If you can afford it go with just SSD. I have a 256GB one and will be buying a 1TB during this years Black Friday. If you can wait get it during Black Friday. I paid around 40 bucks for my 256GB Samsung 840evo. Tho along with the sale i got a copy of FC4 that i sold for 50. So that's how i paid 40 bucks for it. ATM you can get a 500GB Samsung 850 evo for $177. If prices are like they were during last years Black Friday you may be able to buy that for much less and maybe get a free game or something else.

It wont make a massive difference for gaming. For some games it will help with map loading like BF or MMO load faster while going through portals and such like that. But with normal programs i notice a big difference with having an SSD. Things just seem to snap so to speak when opening stuff up. Along with a 15sec windows bootup time.

Depending on what you do having a 500GB ssd should be more than enough. My 256GB ssd has windows and about 3 games i play the most, all of which are mmos and still have 154GB free. My 500GB HDD has about 180gigs worth of steam games and few other random game and tons of programs still have 135GB free. Maybe if you can afford it go for a 1tb so you have the space for later. 850 EVO on newegg now for 377.

Another great idea if you have a lot of movies or songs is to use a thumb drive. I have a 128GB usb 2.O thumb drive i got for like 40 bucks at walmart i keep all my songs and digital movies on. Helps save tons of space on my PC.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube