add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
sendekyo
  • 62 months ago

I built my first system back in 2005 and it's a dinosaur that still uses DDR1 with an AMD 939 socket. Every game I play throttles the CPU and RAM to ~90% while my GPU is typically 30% or less. These numbers probably aren't accurate as they were grabbed from Windows 7 gadgets.

I am finally in the process of building a new computer on a very limited budget thanks to Christmas and birthday gift cards. My original plan was to re-use one of the two graphics cards I have on hand (9800GT 512MB vs HD6570 2GB) while upgrading everything else around it. Currently I play Star Wars: The Old Republic, StarCraft II, and Heroes of the Storm which apparently uses the SC2 engine. I have two 1080p monitors and typically game in 1920x1080 fullscreen windowed mode with graphics turned down as low as possible.

I've tried searching for SWTOR and SC2 benchmarks, but nothing seems to be recent or relevant to my hardware. All that said, I wonder if anyone could give their opinions on which GPU I should favor, if my games may favor Nvidia or AMD, tips to increase gaming performance, and your thoughts regarding my new build. Yes, I plan to overclock.

Thanks for your time!

SWTOR Benchmarks Tom's Hardware - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/star-wars-gaming-tests-review,3087.html

SC2 Benchmarks TechSpot - http://www.techspot.com/review/305-starcraft2-performance/ GameGPU - http://gamegpu.ru/rts-/-strategii/starcraft-ii-heart-of-the-swarm-test-gpu.html

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor Purchased For $59.99
Motherboard MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard Purchased For $39.62
Memory *G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $61.99 @ Newegg
Storage *Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $57.00 @ Amazon
Video Card HIS Radeon HD 6570 2GB Video Card Purchased For $0.00
Case *NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $56.99 @ Micro Center
Power Supply *EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply $34.99 @ Amazon
Monitor Asus VN248H-P 23.8" Monitor Purchased For $0.00
Monitor Asus VN248H-P 23.8" Monitor Purchased For $0.00
Mouse Cooler Master CM Storm Spawn Wired Optical Mouse Purchased For $0.00
Other Western Digital RE2 WD4000YR 400GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 1.5Gb/s 3.5" Purchased For $0.00
Other SAMSUNG USB 2.0 (3.0 Compatible) External DVD Writer Model SE-208GB/RSBD $22.99
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $333.57
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-26 16:49 EST-0500

EDIT: I have a $200 gift card for Amazon. Everything else is out of pocket, which is limited. I'm currently gaming at 5-20 FPS, so anything above 30 FPS would be a godsend, especially if I can avoid buying a new GPU.

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

i use the pentium stock (too lazy to overclock) and i never really have a problem with anything other than the arma 3 engine (or maybe its just the smoke grenades lol) and i use max graphics and everything. If you wanted to go down the amd route id suggest the AMD Athlon X4 860K (like $20 more or so) the fm2+ is pretty new and its price to power ratio is right around the pentiums

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I already bought the Pentium G3258 bundled with the mobo for $99 and a mail-in rebate from Micro Center. One of my gift cards was for MC, so I figured I couldn't pass on that deal.

You have a Pentium and can run just about everything on max, but what are your other PC specs? Have you played any of the games I mentioned?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

thats a good deal as long as the mobo isnt **** lol, but i have about 100 games on steam, and maybe 15 or on origin. my 750ti runs everything i have maxed with the occasional dip to about 25 fps. but yeah heres a quick list of the stuff i play

arma 2/3 (dayz counts as 3 i guess), farcry3, civ 5, skyrim with the 4g ultra hd graphics from steam, war thunder, world of tanks, the witcher 2 (really cuts it close on max), planetside 2, next car game wreckfest, anything on the half life engine (1 and 2), battlefield 3 (usually around 60fps), typcial simulator games (farm/truck), just cause 2

and everything is max graphics i dont hold back on that poor cpu

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome!

The GTX 750 Ti is a much stronger GPU than either of mine, so I bet I won't get that kind of performance. Hopefully at low/medium 1080p.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube