add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Time for a new rig. ($4,000)

ZeroSerenity
  • 63 months ago

My current piece is six years old and is starting to have enough trouble to make me desire a replacement. After attempting to add RAM (it's at it's max somehow with only 8 gigs), change the video card, add three new hard drives and jump from Vista to 8 (in one go, it was $40 at the time), it is still giving me random niche trouble, like having too many USB devices attached causes the controllers to freak out. But the biggest one I have is not being able to use Hyper-V. I'm a software developer by trade and I want to have an easy method of virtualizing stuff back instead of buying VM ware.

Budget: $4,000USD (I've got a phenomenally well paying job and it is really this high)

Picker

I haven't scratch built a rig in six years (this rig is the one in question) and while I'm certain the compatibility is solid and the equipment choices are top notch, I want some other opinions. It's all together (save the video card at the end, which is absent from the database at the moment) but then it gives me a warning:

"The G.Skill Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2800 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Haswell Refresh CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum."

Is this telling me that if I go as is I will have to OC the CPU to get it all functioning or the RAM will just never hit its maximum speed or...?

Oh, I have a Newegg Preferred Account so the purchasing source is based on that alone.

Cheers.

Comments

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Very nice build but I'd swap in a better PSU (EVGA SuperNova, Seasonic or XFX).

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p11050befx

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220p21000xr

The RAM should be fine, just enable XMP profile in BIOS. Most of the higher speed RAM operates at 1.6 or 1.65V and the Intel XMP RAM list has several kits that are certified to work.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I wouldn't say there is anything majorly wrong with it, but for the same money you could get a EVGA or a SeaSonic, that have better build quality and reliability.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Got a seasonic you like?

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

That unit is a Seasonic. KM3 Platform.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1415919/cooler-master-power-supplies-information-thread

9.7 Score from Jonny G: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=344

For the small $ difference I would go with the Seasonic version as it will have a ll of the bells and whistles that CM omitted.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Interesting. Guess I'll stick to what I have then.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I would get a better PSU, (SeaSonic is generally considered the best)

I wouldn't recommend the CPU cooler you have, it looks cool, (no pun intended) but it doesn't cool that well. I would recommend a Corsair H100i, NZXT Kraken X61, or even a Swiftech 240x.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

The CPU cooler mentioned here I have one of already and it does a pretty swell job when compared to the stock rig I had.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

If you have one of them already, then it is fine (it is much better than stock) but it doesn't cool nearly as well as a closed loop cooler such as the ones a mentioned before.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

This would just be a solid piece. I'm not too thrilled with the idea of liquid cooling for a system that I plan to have move around a lot and I worry about ruptures and such.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

"Is this telling me that if I go as is I will have to OC the CPU to get it all functioning or the RAM will just never hit its maximum speed or...?

Intel Haswell-E specification calls for 1.5v memory but the memory kit you've chosen is specified to operate at 1.65v.

Chances are great that when you install the memory it will work just fine but will not be clocked at 2800MHz. This is assuming that the memory kit does contain the necessary data to operate at standard specifications and I have no reason to believe it shouldn't. It couldn't hurt to check the manufacturers website or check vendor reviews from actual owners, just to be sure. Do a search with the motherboard model and memory kit in same search to see if there are reports of incompatibility.

Of course, you could just chance it and enable XMP profile in UEFI which is the modern (easy) way of automatically configuring memory speeds/timing. There's basically nothing to do anymore unless you like to tinker. Enable XMP, power cycle and memory is now installed/configured.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh goodie...I see you did your assignment but forgot to "show your work": http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-2800c12q-32gtxdg

SPD Speed: 1333MHz SPD Voltage: 1.5v

You may expect the memory to operate at the above speed/voltage upon first boot. No big deal really, just a failsafe for compatibility.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Of course. I have to enable XMP to get it to work.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Why so expensive ram?

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I wanted to max it out in one go.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I feel for OP here, I bought Dominator Platinum RAM recently, because... it is Dominator Platinum RAM, (I have always wanted it).

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, but 32gb of RAM isn't worth $1000, no matter how much the speed or aesthetics tell you. Here, get this G.Skill set instead. Before you say anything, it won't get underclocked due to voltage, and the speed of the RAM (1600 vs 2800) is something you most likely won't notice in anything other than benchmarks, servers or if you're using an APU (which you aren't).

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

And when I'm rendering video I bet I will notice.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I doubt it (LTT has a few other videos on RAM that may be relevant, check them out if you want). Rendering is very CPU reliant, not RAM reliant.

Yes, I'm aware that he uses predominately gaming benchmarks when you're talking about rendering. Linus does say things that are relevant to what you're talking about.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

This is a stupid question, but on your old rig, have you checked in your BIOS to see if virtualization is enabled? Even if it was made six years ago, it seems kinda weird that you would not be able to run a virtual machine using VMWare.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh I can run VMware if I wanted to buy it, but I usually stick to the Windows internal system (Virtual PC 2007 for Vista, Hyper-V for 8) since it is pretty slick and costs me nothing. It was just a culmination of many factors, this being one.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Some CPU instructions are disabled when a CPU becomes unlocked. Might want to check that the needed instructions are still enabled to run the VM that you intended to run.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome. Thought most where server related but never hurts to make sure.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I think I miss-wrote; I meant to say Hyper-V. That still requires VT or AMD-V; both of those technologies go all the way back to 2005-6. It seems unusual that your current processor cannot use Hyper-V; I was thinking it might be a function of having one or two variables turned off in BIOS.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Intel Q9550 doesn't support SLAT.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I see, JUUUUUST before they started doing it. Whelp, that sucks.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

In case this comes up again, here is the rig that will be replaced: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/ZeroSerenity/saved/Nyxtt6

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd say you are spending too much on the two 1TB SSD's and that is holding your build back. I would drop one of them, update the remaining one to the 850 EVO.

This would then allow you to go with an extreme I7; 6 cores, Phanteks air cooler much more effective than CM, X99 motherboard with 32GB Dominator ram. Chose parts that should look fantastic with that case.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor $373.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler $79.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus X99-DELUXE ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard $375.48 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $1056.06 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $464.99 @ SuperBiiz
Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $162.98 @ OutletPC
Case Cooler Master Storm Stryker (White) ATX Full Tower Case $149.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $198.98 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $16.98 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro (OEM) (64-bit) $129.00 @ Amazon
Keyboard Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard $172.00 @ Amazon
Mouse Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse $69.98 @ OutletPC
Other ASUS POSEIDON-GTX980 $639.99
Other ASUS PG221H Purchased
Other Rosewill RDCR-11004 $24.99
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $3880.40
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-08 21:24 EST-0500
  • 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Replace the RAM with this set (since speed doesn't effect performance noticabely in what OP will be doing), and then you can afford to put in more parts, like another 1tb SSD or perhaps a more powerful processor.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I think I went over that I've got some bad reviews of LGA2011 boards sofar, so I am holding off on those.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm just wondering if you looked at an X99 based system. Uses DDR4 ram, which allows up to 64/128GB and higher speeds, and the CPUs (well, the i7 ones) have 2~4 more cores & 4~8 more threads compared to LGA 1150 i7s. The main drawback is cost as the parts are relatively new.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I have. When I bought my previous rig I made the mistake of buying a chipset and system too new for all the kinks to be worked out (P45 Chipset was notorious for problems). So I said let's not do that again. When I looked over some reviews for 2011 it still feels like it isn't completely worked out.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

X99 has like, ahem, almost 4 months, and I'm sure that most things have been sorted out. And it's LGA2011-3.

The fact that you want to go for Z97 presents with some limitations, mostly about expansion. (By your last list, you will be limited by the 16 lanes, and that means at most a 2-way SLI config). I think that going for 5820K and give you the opportunity of going 3-way won't hurt that much. Just by curiosity, which reviews have you read?

BTW, regarding PSU, I generally see it this way: 2-way 980 850W, 3-way 1000W and 4-way 1200W, though Newegg did that 4-way SLI review of 980 and the power consumption figures are ridiculous.

Faster RAM do have impact in following situations (one of them I've found use for): RAMDisk, recording videos (especially at 60fps, the extra bandwidth definitely helps), doing video editing and possibly photoshop.

Are you considering going custom loop? That POSEIDON isn't worth the price if you don't do so.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Increase RAM frequency does have an advantage, but there is a huge price jump after DDR3-2400. You if you sacrifice 400 MHz (200 MHz clock) you could save $700. You can always overclock your memory. Heck, you could buy 3 or 4 2400 kits and do your own OC binning to find the best for $1000 (not that it would solve your problem of overpriced RAM).

And essentially, yes: XMP can optimize to your system, but the best results will be had with an overclocked processor. You're risking $700 hoping that XMP might get you there without an OC. I doubt it will.

As an extra note, it doesn't look like there are even any 2400 kits that run at your rated voltage. You need 2133, or an OC'd processor.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

In my experience the kit I had rated 2400MHz needs to run with 1.65V.

And the same goes with my manually OCed DIMMs, I've set them 2133MHz CL11 @1.65V though they were rated to 1600MHz CL9/CL10 @ 1.5V.

• 63 months ago
  • 0 points

That ram is wayyy overpriced like dude thats 700$ over priced. Higher clock speed on ram gives VERY small benefits to anything.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube