add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Daily Challenge: Color Scheme ($1000 budget)

Omniscience

55 months ago

Create a PC setup that contains a PC, a keyboard and a mouse that all have the same color scheme. You can make the color whatever you want, or make it with multiple colors! A windowed case might be a good idea, and a good case, LEDs, etc. are encouraged!

Your submission will be judged on the style and the aesthetic appeal of you build, as well as the raw power of the PC. Remember that you only have $1000 for the entire build!

OS not included in price. Eligibility lasts until the next challenge is posted. Winner will be mentioned in the next challenge.

Winner of last challenge (Intel and Corsair):

Vagabond139 for an amazing build with the two brands. Well done!

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

I decided to go with an eye-searing yellow build and call it Big Bird. This one is a little GPU heavy, since the only yellow GPU was pretty pricey.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor $68.98 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Corsair H60 74.4 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $59.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX AC ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $109.99 @ Newegg
Memory Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $84.48 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $42.00 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI Radeon R9 290X 4GB LIGHTNING Video Card $319.99 @ Newegg
Case Antec Lanboy air Yellow ATX Mid Tower Case $166.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply CoolMax 1200W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $99.99 @ Micro Center
Keyboard AZIO KB506 Wired Standard Keyboard $28.56 @ Amazon
Mouse Gigabyte M6880 Wired Laser Mouse $14.98 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $995.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-31 14:46 EST-0500
  • 55 months ago
  • 1 point

epic AMD black and blue themed build weighing in at 1062.30$$ after rebates.

Rational

AMD FX-8350 - great performance, reasonable price.

Corsair H55 - liquid cooling is a must for me so this is quality budget option.

Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 - great price and OCing performance. also black and blue, NO BROWN PCB CRAP.

Kingston Fury Series 8GB - it was blue and 1866 and had low latency.... why not.

Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB - may get some slack for skimping on storage, but it is a good ssd and most people have old HDDs from desktops or even laptops laying around for mass storage.

Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB Vapor-X Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) - AMAZING CROSSFIRE PERFORMANCE... better then the flagship r9 290x and they have pretty blue leds.

NZXT H440 (Blue/Black) - it was blue... and black... and windowed.

Corsair RM 750W - enough wattage and had all black cables.

Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse - blue, black and good quality for a budget build.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Two r9 270x are not more powerful than a r9 290x, it would lack 8gb of vram and adding a second card only would increase performance in a best case scenario by 30%, if what you said was true they would be getting them instead of a gtx 980 or a r9 290x for 4k

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

yes at 1080p they are more powerful, and who said anything about 4k. 4k is no where near being a standard, not everybody wants to dish out 500+ for the most basic 4k monitor and a grand for something like 2 gtx 980's just to barely pull 60 fps on most AAA titles.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

At 1080p they might be better but if you want to add another card you might not be able to and they consume more power and generate more heat and they still would have only 2gbof vram.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

if your playing at 1080p your not going to need more then 2gb of vram. even my old gtx 680 with 2gb of vram can play shadow of mordor with the ultra texture pack at 1080p around 50-60 fps. and even with a 8320 and crossfire 270x PCPP recommends at least a 600w psu which is nothing for a crossfire build and we all know that the system wont even draw that much from the wall. also to add the whole point of me doing a crossfire build is even though it is budget, it should still last the user 4-5 years which this system easily will. the vapor x cooler keeps the cards extremely cool, even though there are 2 of them.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

also not every 290x has 8gb of vram. the only ones are made by sapphire and the 8gb of vram will only get you increased preformance at high res or extremely detailed texture packs such as in shadow of mordor. lower end cards seem to scale better, so there would be more than a 30% increase, my personal expirence being a 78% increase average in the games i tested.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Xfx makes 8gb versions

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

okay....

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Also the v300 is literally one of the worst ssd's you can buy

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

4 1/2 star review average says different.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Its performance compared to othet ssd's is awful,, I ddidn't mean the quality

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

its still an ssd

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

and a 1000 budget build doesnt need a SanDisk extreme pro or even a Samsung 840 evo

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I like mine, lol. My opinion is my favorite one. :D

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

yours is really solid, although a lot of money went to keyboard and mouse so you could keep the purple theme strong.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. Yes, not many options on the keyboard front. At least it's mechanical, and I think you can change the colors on it.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VtpY8d A red and black theme, its actually under $1000. Its looks good and functions well also.

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

This is really thorough and well-balanced. Red and black is everywhere these days, but this one is classy.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Wait, how about a Purple People Eater? If someone builds it, I'll give you the $1 over budget I am. It's a bit more balanced than the big bird build, but good luck finding a purple mouse that isn't completely feminine.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $212.99 @ NCIX US
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $28.75 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $130.98 @ Newegg
Memory Apotop 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $63.98 @ Newegg
Storage *Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $48.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R9 285 2GB Dual-X Video Card $229.99 @ Newegg
Case BitFenix Neos White/Purple ATX Mid Tower Case $57.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply Raidmax 700W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $63.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Fan Corsair Air Series Purple 2 pack 52.2 CFM 120mm Fan $19.99 @ NCIX US
Keyboard Ducky DK9008 Shine 3 Magenta LED Backlit (Black Cherry MX) Wired Standard Keyboard $129.00 @ Mechanical Keyboards
Mouse Gigabyte M6880 Wired Laser Mouse $14.98 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1001.63
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-31 15:02 EST-0500
  • 55 months ago
  • 1 point

damn, solid build

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! I wish video cards came in more colors than just black and red. If I wanted the video card to match anything, I could choose yellow, purple, turquoise, or gold.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube