add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
CrazyCroak05

55 months ago

Hey, I need any advice/opinions/tips on this build. Im trying to try out PC gaming but I don't know if I'll like gaming with a mouse and keyboard so im only spending $300-350 on this PC.

Budget: $300 - $350

Uses: Light gaming

Peripherals: None

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor $70.98 @ Newegg
Motherboard ASRock H81M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $49.99 @ Micro Center
Memory A-Data XPG V1.0 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $34.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $51.85 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon R7 250 2GB Video Card $69.99 @ Newegg
Case Azza SIRIUS ATX Mid Tower Case $24.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $34.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $329.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-12 00:54 EST-0500

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Sure, that would be enough for low-medium settings on new games and higher settings on older games. What if you like PC gaming though, will you scrap this and drop more money on a better build? You can always get controllers to use with PC games too, doesn't have to be mouse and keyboard :)

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

If I like pc gaming... I never thought of that.... On a $400 is there anyway you could make it upgradeable in the future?

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Actually, yes. Swap the motherboard out for a Z97 chipset motherboard. They are more expensive but you can still fit one in that build under $400. The Pentium G3258 uses Haswell architecture so you could easily replace it with a more powerful Haswell i5 for example if you want to upgrade this build. It would be easy to replace the GPU later, and simple to add another 4GB stick of RAM. If you love PC gaming and upgrade those parts you might also want to think about upgrading your PSU to a better one but that wouldn't be an immediate barrier to upgrading.

If you keep this same build but use a Z97 chipset motherboard, you have much more powerful options available to you if you want to upgrade.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay thanks!!! any motherboard recommendations?

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 55 months ago
  • 2 points

Excellent processor, I mean if you want to risk buying used then it's a great deal.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

is it worth $30 more?

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

This is a really good build for the price. I can't say that I would change much of anything.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply!! Most people just ignore a thread when they don't see anything to change.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Only thing I would suggest is getting a z97 motherboard. If it turns out you like PC gaming it will allow you to make the jump from the g3258 to an i5 or intels new broadwell cpu in 2015. I did something very similar getting the G3258 knowing I would upgrade in the next 12 months. Just one mans opinion, maybe someone else with more knowledge can chime in as well.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay thanks!

What is the difference between an H81 motherboard and a Z97 motherboard?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube