add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Intel i7-4790K vs AMD FX-8350

Xythian
  • 64 months ago

Can the AMD keep up with the Intel in gaming and multi-threaded workloads?It's cheaper and deciding one between these two is important to me.

Comments

• 64 months ago
  • 2 points

Bwtween these tow CPUs, the i7 will be much better in almost anything you can throw at it...

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-fx-8370e-cpu,3929-7.html in gaming with low to mid end gpus like the links shows, 285 or below, yes. And at 4k because the gpu is the bottleneck.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Edit:I've just found out that the AMD CPU apparently bottlenecks the GTX 970,which is the card that I'd like to buy.Since I'm going to OC,I felt uncomfortable reading that.I don't feel like ignoring AMD because I'd feel really bad if I did that,but I'm leaning more towards Intel now.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

No need to feel bad. As of right now, Intel has some compelling options for the higher end stuff. A potential bottleneck is a perfectly logical reason to lean away from a part.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

k

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

okay i have my gtx 970 with my fx 8350 but my 970 doesnt hit 100 percent. could that be because the cpu isnt keeping up with my 970?

• 51 months ago
  • 2 points

Start a new thread if you want people to help you instead of bringing a 1-year-old thread back to life.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

oh sorry

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't feel bad. I was an AMD fanboy until I realized that Intel and Nvidia products could outperform most AMD products (at the high-middle to high end range).

As a consumer, you want whatever will be the best bang for your buck. With cases this could mean aesthetics and functionality, two of the main reasons I'd choose a $100 Corsair C70 over a $50 case that doesn't look as good (to each their own) and/or doesn't have the same well-built, durable handles. With a CPU, this means budget. Two-year-old AMD FX CPU's are the best budget options, but as you move toward the higher end (i5 4690K and i7's), Intel beats them out. In the category of GPU's, the 900 series is the current winner, but with the rumored upcoming release of the AMD 300's, the tides can turn.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

TL;DR - depends - will you fully load the processor often? Looking at Passmark's benchmarks, I compared the i7-4790k and the FX-8350, which both have the same stock clock rate, 4.0 GHz. Both are capable of 8 threads. I looked at single-thread benchmarks, and the 4790k topped the chart at about 5/3 the score of the 8350. But you're right, the 8350 has 8 full-fledged cores, while the 4790k has 4 full cores and 4 logical cores that share resources with the 4 real cores. Search results say that at best, the logical cores are equivalent to about 1/3 of a regular core, usually less, depending of course on the specific thread being executed and its context. Now for the math - FX-8350: 8 cores, baseline score of 8. i7-4790k: 4 cores * 5/3 performance + 4 logical cores * 5/3 performance * 1/3 generous actual usefulness = 8.89 score, an 11% semi-empirical calculated advantage over the 8350. Bottom line - if you fully load the processor, the 4790k might beat the 8350 by just a little bit, depending on specific programs. If not, the 4790k will definitely outshine the 8350 due to its better single-threaded performance. If you fully load the processor, it's up to you to decide whether a maybe 10% performance boost is worth double the cost (there are also energy considerations which favor the 4790k), or to make the decision easier, consider instead the FX-8320 which is even less expensive and is actually the same chip as the 8350, so just overclock to 4.0 GHz and go.

Second-to-last note - if you're worried about the bottleneck, you can try overclocking the 8320/8350 to a speed that won't bottleneck loading the GTX 970. A good cooler is more important here, and probably an investment you would make anyway if you'll be loading your processor heavily.

Last note - if this is for gaming more than multi-threaded workloads, go for an i5. You can't go wrong with the i7 for heavy workloads, but you can save money if you think you'll be loading up all 8 cores frequently, and can get the overclock to a non-bottlenecking speed.

• 64 months ago
  • 2 points

Wow.You...what..I cannot comprehend you.I clap for you,you are a brilliant man.

Regarding my choice of a CPU, I've seen LinusTechTips' video that benchmarks the i5-4690K,the i7-4790K and the i7-5960X in a worst case scenario where the CPU is stressed with rendering a video,playing Far Cry 3,stream Far Cry 3,run a cleaner scan and if I'm not wrong a skype call as well.The i7-4790K seems to be in the middle ,the i5-4690K just struggles hard to keep gameplay smooth while the i7-5960X just shines.So that's why I'm leaning more towards the i7. I will definitely take your post into consideration though.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Haha, glad it helped. If you're looking at the kind of loading in the LinusTechTips video, having various unrelated tasks, the 4790K is probably the way to go, like you're thinking. The 8350 would be more competitive in consistent loading, such as in a machine used mostly for rendering or scientific computing.

• 64 months ago
  • 2 points

Ah,I see.I think I'm definitely going for the i7-4790K.Thank you all for your help!:D

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube