add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
ReluctantGeek

65 months ago

Hello, I've recently become interested in building my own PC and was seeking some advice. I've used the $1200 Gaming Build as sort of a baseline, and edited it for my own needs/budget. I'm mostly looking for gaming and general entertainment purposes.

CPU: Intel i5-4690K $199.99`

CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 74.99

Motherboard: MSI-Z97 Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 144.99`

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM 74.99

Storage: Kingston SSD V300 120GB 64.99

1TB WD HDD 42 46.49

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB 329.99

Case: Corsair Series 230T ATX Mid Tower Case 64.99

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W ATX power supply 34.99

Pioneer Blu-Ray reader 42.93

Windows 7 Home OS pretty sure I can get this for around ~$60

ASUS VE247H 23.6 138.99

Also, keyboard and mouse budget: ~80-100

Total (as calculated by pcpartpicker): 1357.52

`On bundle @ microcenter for $310

My own price: ~1300

I had the cooling system and the case recommended to me by a gaming geek at Microcenter. Also, should I pick up the CPU/Motherboard bundle sooner rather than later? I'm looking to build this PC in late November/early December, but I have the money for that bundle deal right now and am regularly near the local Microcenter anyway. I just don't want seems like a good deal go down the toilet because I wanted to wait to have all the parts at once.

Comments

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Id get a 24" monitor and a 600w psu.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. I thought that 750W might be a bit overkill on the machine. I'll shop around for monitors for sure. I haven't had a desktop in years, so I really don't know where the good deals on that are.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

www.newegg.com is where its at for deals

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

It looks like that's where I'll be getting most of my stuff it isn't a better deal at the local Microcenter (though I've heard they sometimes offer price matching). There are definitely a few 24" ones in my budget range.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Occationally Ill find a better deal at microcenter than newegg, but not often (plus you pay sales tax there). Here's a very solid 24" ASUS monitor for ya: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236174

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

I've updated that and I few others, though I found a different monitor with the same response time.

I do feel like rewarding Microcenter where it makes some financial sense just because of going in there and geeking out over all the cool new stuff since the last time I looked at any of the new tech. I had absolutely no clue where to even begin until I went in there and just started browsing around and got some advice from a couple of gaming geeks there.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd also switch out the single stick of 8GB RAM for two 4GB sticks. You'll get better performance running dual channel.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the tip.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

There's a bundle at micro center for 4690K+Asus Z97-AR for $300 if that helps any. Windows OS Lifecycle Factsheet if you're curious. I'd even say get Win8.1 and set it up so you just use local username and password as the icky metro layout is only activated if you link a microsoft account to your OS. Still when you press the start button it will pop up, but in all apparently Win8.1 uses less resources than Win7. And then there's Win10. No idea how good that is, so maybe not get that when it comes out. I hope this helps!

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

I was planning on upgrading to Win10 when it comes out, and I can get Win7 on a bargain, so I was just going to go with that because I've hated Win8 since I got it (I got my current laptop within a couple weeks of Win8 release). Actually, the only convenient thing about it is that I use my Microsoft account as my business email. And I really miss my start menu.

Thanks for the bundle tip, I'll look over the specs to see if it has what I'll be needing in the future.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

upgrade to 8.1 and grab classic shell. its basically just like windows 7 then.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll try it out on my current 8.1 machine. Thanks for that.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube