add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Homing in on the final build picks !

Scort

65 months ago

Would appreciate comments and suggestions for improvements. Many thanks folks ! Final build not to exceed $800.00 CA

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Scort/saved/z2wmP6

Comments

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

What are you using this for? Why the low profile RAM/1866 speed? Why an SSD?

Most setups can go with $80 1600mhz RAM and most people don't need an SSD (Just makes stuff load faster)

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Other than that, looks good.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

I do some graphics work, stream stuff and also some online gaming. The RAM was cheapest at the time according to PP and there was only $7.00 difference from the 1600's. SSD for the OS, holding/loading the game/s.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Was also considering the FX-6350 if the price drops a bit

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't know much about the 6350, but everything looks solid then.

• 65 months ago
  • 2 points

OK, thanks for your input Kanevil...appreciate it !

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Also Kanevil pointed out you should be getting ram with heat spreaders on top, not low profile laptop or mini atx case ram.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Typo...meant 8350 as in the last upgrade

[comment deleted]
  • 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Can somebody explain this compatibility note from PP and how it is resolved ? Thanks

Some AMD 970 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vishera CPUs.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Basically, some CPUs require the Mobo to be updated so it will work with them. I can't remember if yur CPU is good or not though. As long as the CPU was out before the Mobo, you're golden. But you can always update the Mobo.

• 65 months ago
  • 2 points

Roger that...thought as much, but the wording was a bit confusing. Thanks !

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks good to me, but why windows 7? Everyone gets asked this and so did I. If it's the whole start menu that confuses you, there's a program going for $4.99 that gives you the start button, like windows 7 called "Start8". The reason it's good to switch now, is windows 7 is going to be losing all its support, and it's all moving to windows 8. Trust me, I was a big windows 7 fan, but give windows 8 a week or two and you'll love it. Edit: It doesn't only give you the start menu, that's just one of the biggest things. It makes it exactly like windows 7, google it or get the 30 day free trial.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Windows 10 was announced today. You can either put 8.1 on your new system or install the development version of 10.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep, forgot that it came out today! That also works.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Where did Windows 9 go LOL ?

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Tomshardware reported that windows 9 (now announced as Windows 10 for whatever reason) will be available to Windows 8.1 users for free and will be available to Windows 7 users for $30.

source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-windows-platfrom-upgrade-threshold,27779.html

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Actually, I had windows 8 on all the previous iterations, but for some reason chose 7 this time. Habit perhaps LOL

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Haha, yeah. If windows 7 was keeping its support, honestly I'd go with it, but windows 8 is doing me just fine. :P

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Pretty low end psu brand. For your system 430w is just fine, but in case you wanted to upgrade your gpu down the road, Id consider getting a 500w.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Ooo much better, fully modular too, Fancy!

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Ya, well the PSU is important alright. I thought Rosewell made decent stuff based on reviews I have read, but possible future upgrades are a consideration for sure. However, I am now over budget, so will need to wait for some bargains/price drops :( Thanks !

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Ha your budget was just a make believe number you came with before knowing the cost of good parts anyway. So it really was a fake idea to begin with. This is a decent system for the money, unless you spend a bit more to get a 760 gpu ftw?

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

I have made some changes and upgrades. Dropped the SSD for now, but intend to get one later. Reviews on this case are OK, but would like some suggestions on another in the same price range that has good cable management, airflow and dust filters where needed. Thanks again folks !

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Scort/saved/H8V2FT

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube