add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First build, advice? want to game at top quality and good FPS <$1000

ckhamsi
  • 67 months ago

Hello everyone.

This is my second build, but the last one was more than 8 years ago (!). My goal is to build something under $1000 which can run new games at the highest quality settings and a great frame-rate. I'm not overly concerned about the appearance of the machine, and I'm not too worried about storage beyond the SSD drive since I don't tend to download / keep a lot of media (besides music).

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7w4QwP

Unfortunately, I'm rusty and have been out of the loop for too long, so I'm hesitant to get started buying/building. Figure I'd turn here first for some advice: Will this thing work? Any serious flaws or will any particular component drag the system down/be excessive?

Many thanks for taking a look. I appreciate any thoughts or advice.

Best, Cy

Comments

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Best advice I can give, price vs. performance, is to switch out the GTX 770 for a GTX 970. It's roughly the same price, but considerably more powerful. You can see some of the benchmarks here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-970-maxwell,3941-8.html

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you! I guess I've waited so long that now improved items are coming out.

There are no reviews yet on the cards available - any recommendations in terms of the different manufacturers? For example: EVGA, PNY, Zotac, MSI... I may want to overclock in the future (have minor experience with this, and noise doesn't bother me).

Would you agree with this? "Brand matters a lot. Sapphire is an AMD Exclusive whereas EVGA is a Nvidia exclusive. These two along with, Asus, Gigabyte and MSI are your big time and most trusted brands. I have also heard good things from HIS and PowerColor, but they are more of a budget/cheap end manufacturer. The first 5 I named are great all around cards. Performance and cooling are excellent. On the AMD End, Sapphire typically appeal to the overclocking market due to their overclockability (Unlocked Voltages). Other than that, all the Brands are appealing to the whole market."

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

When it comes to Nvidia GPU brands, stick with EVGA, MSI, and Gigabyte. EVGA cards have the best coolers and the best factory overclocks. MSI's Afterburner program can be used with any Nvidia card regardless of manufacturer. Gigabyte's Windforce cards have cooling systems that rival EVGA's, and if their motherboards are anything to go after, are wicked durable too.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube