add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
focoloco25
  • 67 months ago

Just went to Micro City after payday... this is what I brought home. I will be able to snag a couple of used but good quality hdds from work. What I need still is a gpu, and a cpu cooler (no preferences but thought I'd play it safe with the low-profile ram).
Should I wait for a new generation of gpus to be released and purchase then? I'm in no serious rush and I'd like to keep the budget around $400 for the cooler and graphics card. Any suggestions?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor Purchased For $279.99
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-GAMING 7 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard Purchased For $129.99
Memory Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory Purchased For $169.99
Storage Samsung 850 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $109.99
Case Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $44.99
Power Supply Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $99.99
Optical Drive LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer Purchased For $19.99
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $854.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-22 02:24 EDT-0400

Comments

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

If you want to overclock but not crazy get the hyper evo 212. You can find it for around 25 bucks. For the gpu and since you are in no rush you could hold out for the gtx 970 that will go on retail for $329 or you could just get the gtx 770 if you need a card now. How much do you plan on overclocking the cpu? You could also get the equivalent amd gpu which would probably be the 280x.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

970 released last week. Its faster than a 290X. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_970_STRIX_OC/30.html

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Cooler Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $54.99 @ Micro Center
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX Video Card $339.99 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $394.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-22 02:50 EDT-0400

Return that SSD and get a Samsung M.2 SSD

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Its a complete and total no brainer for your gpu choice with the release of the 970. Should make this decision about as easy as deciding to inhale and then exhale afterwards.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

My apologies for the lack of research but what're the added benefits of the M.2?

Also, the 970 seems optimal, how much could I potentially overclock this build?

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

You could overclocked it by 1 million volts, but still see zero benefit. Maybe several years down the road, but no so much now since all those components are already blazing fast.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

it supports up to 12GB/s instead of 6, that specific SSD I showed has read speeds of 1000 MB/s and the larger ones have read AND write speeds of 1000MB/s. The also have the highest random read and write speeds as well. There are other M.2 SSDs but they aren't really much faster than the sata 3 SSDs.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree with the GTX 970. Personally, I'm waiting for EVGA's GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0 to release for ~$360.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

970 is already an ultra cool running gpu, so not much point in an advanced cooler.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

So I may hold out on the cpu cooler since I won't need to overclock until down the road. How do I figure out what my temps are, is it in the bios somewhere?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube