add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Water cooling a XFX R290

Taconator3133
  • 69 months ago

I want to water cool my XFX r290 black edition double dissipation so I can overclock it. What do you all recommend for cooling it? I know I'll need the NZXT G10 with some VRAM copper heat sinks but I'm not sure what water cooler would be efficient enough for the cooling. Looking so spend less then $100 but not super big deal if i go over. Thanks

My build http://pcpartpicker.com/b/cc6hP6

Comments

• 69 months ago
  • 2 points

You don't really need much more than an h55 to cool a 290 enough to get the most performance out of it without going ln2. Most people I've looked through on OCN with a 290 and h55 report load temps in the mid 60s, which is plenty low enough to allow you to push overclocks. As for the vrms you would want to get heatsinks. Gelid makes a vrm kit specifically for the 290/290x that you can use with the kraken g10 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835426042).

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the link, lot cheaper and easier then what I was going to do haha.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Im pretty sure you can just mount a 120mm closed loop cooler to it.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes but which one?

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Grab an NZXT Kraken X41. It's a single fan 140mm cooler with a thick rad. It will outperform the H100i.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Have a rough idea what the temps would be?

• 69 months ago
  • 2 points

probably 50s or so.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're overclocking with a water-cooler make sure you VRM on the GPU gets some kind of airflow.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Alrighty thanks

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the help, found a H110 for 68$ so I'm going to go with that. Even though it is overkill but for a little more overkill is better then just good enough

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube