add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Looking for a PC for competitive gaming on ultra settings and a ton of FPS

JokerGT
  • 70 months ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $339.94 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $94.99 @ NCIX US
Motherboard MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $109.99 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $169.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $229.99 @ Amazon
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Superclocked Video Card $669.99 @ Newegg
Case Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case $164.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply Corsair 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $169.99 @ Amazon
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $16.98 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional (32/64-bit) $170.99 @ Adorama
Monitor Asus VX238H 23.0" Monitor $159.99 @ Micro Center
Wireless Network Adapter Asus PCE-AC68 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $96.99 @ Amazon
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard $111.99 @ Amazon
Mouse Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser Mouse $49.99 @ Amazon
Headphones SteelSeries Siberia v2 Headset $64.59 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $2621.39
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-09 17:53 EDT-0400

Basically looking for a PC that will last me a while and that can handle anything I throw at it with ease.

Is there anything I should change about this build?.. Is this overkill? -Willing to make this build cheaper.

Games that are going to be played: BF4 StarCraft 2 Heart of the Storm Crysis Games and any new games that are graphic intense. Will also do image editing, etc.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Too much spent on the cpu, with no difference in visuals with this build.

Also, this system is should have a 660watt psu, not a 1000w unless you really have a desire to sli down the road. (at the top of your build, it lists 479w for system, but you obviously want have a higher psu that, so the 600 is a good rage to be at). Instead of doing that, a lot of people just end up selling the dated gpu and getting a current one and then you wouldn't need a super sized psu.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the reply.

Do you think the i7-4790k is enough? I know many games are getting pretty CPU intensive.

Also, is there a MB that is cheaper and that is as good?

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

If your concerned with cpu power, you could get the 4770K so you can overclock it (but that's already a monster cpu, and it literally embarrasses AMD at the high end cpu performance its such a far gap). The only current game that can use the extra juice (last I heard) was Skyrim IF your running like several dozen graphic mods (which literally will take you weeks to figure out which ones work best with the other dozen you have. Heavy modding because an obsessive hobby from how I hear it). No MMO game will use more than a fraction of a high end builds power, because they have to cater to low end users.

You could literally buy the cheapest MB (but do go with a good company brand), and see no difference if you don't overclock. The nicer/more costly MB just give you more heatsinks and options for overclocking or some other quirky feature like a built in sound card or wifi card.

• 70 months ago
  • 2 points

Ok, thank you for your input.

I normally am an OC freak, but that was because I needed to squeeze more power out of the machine in order to be able to play. BUT, if this build is powerful enough to handle anything I throw at it, I will have no need to OC.

[comment deleted]
  • 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Anything else?

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

that is a beast build.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you, do you think this is overkill though? Or is this needed to have constant high stable FPS on ultra settings?

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

i dont reckon its overkill if you want to have max settings on every game.

[comment deleted]
  • 70 months ago
  • 1 point

I see that you have really fast ram, which you will not need unless you do a lot of photo/video editing. Even for overkill builds 1866mhz is enough. You can also save some dough on the os. The 64 bit 8.1 edition is around 100 bucks, and I also don't think you need a dedicated Wi-Fi adapter. Do correct me if I am wrong on the last point. You'll be saving up around 200$, so you can buy a nice, fast and big Hard drive. Cheers!

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, I will look for 1866mhz ram. As far as the OS, don't I need the full version to be able to transfer the license to another HDD/SSD or if I change the MB? I want to be able to have a transferable license just in case my MB or SSD craps out on me.

As far as the dedicated WiFi, I need one because my house is pure WiFi.

Thank you again for your input! :)

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

No case?

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Nice find! It must have gotten removed somehow, but it should of said the HAF X case.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Did another component update. I am pretty sure this is it! Going to order within the next couple of days while thinking over it some more.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you guys think the price will drop of this build big time now since the new x99 ddr4 builds are coming out?

Should I wait? The price difference isn't that much except for the actual memory.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

You're overpaying on some components such as the motherboard, gpu, ssd, case, power supply, and wireless card. By readjusting them you could push the graphics further.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $339.94 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $94.99 @ NCIX US
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $128.98 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $166.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $209.99 @ Adorama
Video Card PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB PCS+ Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) $348.50 @ Newegg
Video Card PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB PCS+ Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) $348.50 @ Newegg
Case NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $81.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply XFX ProSeries 1050W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $147.99 @ SuperBiiz
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro (OEM) (64-bit) $142.98 @ Newegg
Monitor Asus VX238H 23.0" Monitor $139.99 @ Micro Center
Wireless Network Adapter Asus PCE-AC68 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $96.99 @ Amazon
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard $111.99 @ Amazon
Mouse Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser Mouse $49.99 @ Amazon
Headphones SteelSeries Siberia v2 Headset $68.36 @ Amazon
Other CyberPower Battery Backup $99.99
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $2560.15
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-07 13:38 EDT-0400
  • 69 months ago
  • 1 point

looks good.

What about a 780 TI isntead of 2 radeon's?

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

I actually just did some research on what you sent me on my post on the Radeons and having just 1 GPU to handle your graphics is preferred esp since some games don't bode well with the SLI altho I'm sure that is about to be a thing of the past. Plus GPU Guru gave the 780 TI a better rating than them for Graphic Editting.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you guys think the price will drop of this build big time now since the new x99 ddr4 builds are coming out? Should I wait? The price difference isn't that much except for the actual memory.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd say you should get the i5 4690K, i7 really isn't needed for gaming, you'll save around $100-$200 there. Get a Z97 motherboard, I recommend the Asus Z97-A. Don't get 16GB of RAM, save yourself money and stay at 8GB, will last a long time, trust me. Get a 1TB Hybrid drive, the 3'5 from Seagate at $77 is a pretty good deal, it's a SSD combined with a regular drive, you get close to SSD like performance from the Hybrid drive. Get the 290X it's a better price/performance ratio. Don't get a 860 watt psu, get a 750 watt one instead. That's pretty much all I got.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

hard time right now with the next gen rolling out..

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube