add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Looking to build a desktop

Infusion75

77 months ago

Title says all, looking for feedback.

Parts List: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Infusion75/saved/1DuQ

Updated Parts List: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Infusion75/saved/1DwA

Going for more of a budgeted gaming build of around 1k$ with monitor, mouse and keyboard included.

Comments

• 77 months ago
  • 2 points

In your price range I would recommend an AMD build. Like the amd fx 6300 with a asus m5a97 r2.0 for about $90 or the better asus m5a99fx pro r2.0 for about $120 after mail in rebate. The graphics card I would go with the msi 7790 for I think $130. Then keep the rest of the build. I think this would do you a lot better then that i3 setup.

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, so I switched the parts to what you are recommending. Here's the build now: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Infusion75/saved/1DwA

But, I was just wondering what the basis of your recommendation were. Why choose what you chose over mine? I'm still kind of new to the whole building process and was curious.

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

What's the use of this computer. If its going to be used for gaming what playing performance are you looking for.

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

Gaming, constant FPS rates. Not really looking for super MAX settings. Im not a graphic nut that needs the BEST SETTINGS EVAR. Normal with a couple settings on high would be ideal for me.

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

Best I could throw together for under $1000.

Hope this helps:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $219.98 @ Outlet PC
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LX ATX LGA1155 Motherboard $99.99 @ Newegg
Memory Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $49.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $62.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card $229.99 @ NCIX US
Case NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $34.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply $39.50 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer $17.98 @ Outlet PC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.89 @ Amazon
Monitor Acer G236HLBbd 60Hz 23.0" Monitor $120.99 @ Amazon
Keyboard Logitech 920-003693 Wired Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $19.98 @ Outlet PC
Speakers Logitech S120 2.3W 2ch Speakers $9.99 @ Dell Small Business
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $996.26
Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-23 14:36 EDT-0400
  • 77 months ago
  • 1 point

I do prefer the ASUS mother board over the ASRock that I currently had. Mainly because i've heard the ASUS P8Z77 was super. People do like going to the NZXT Case. I wasn't sure with that if it would get too hot or not, thats why I went with the coolermaster storm. It looks nice and has integrated fans in the front and top to cool teh insides. I would downgrade the CPU since I3 will suffice or the AMD FX 6300 for better keyboard/mouse and get rid of the speakers.

Im not just looking for a super beast set up, also looking at good keyboard/mouse to game on.

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

Well I actually suggested the msi 7790 its not on this site yet but other 7790's are but I like msi because of there build quality. It currently is for 139.99 on newegg but does go below that often if you check on it and I would recommend this 7790 or any 7790 because they are 20% faster than the 7770. As to regards why I recommend the 6300 over i3 is 1. better gaming performance and 2. current games are becoming demanding on a dual core and many games a dual core hurts performance so definitely down the road you're going to want at least a quad-core or more. By the way the 6300 is a 6-core

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, I was wondering about the MSI 7790 since it wasn't on here. I was reading up on the 6300 while waiting on your comment, people do say it is better for gaming. Since many games only used 1-core I was going off that, but having the 6-cores is nice. TY for feedback. :)

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

And that mobo is really nice for overclocking if you ever get into that and also for multiple graphics cards setups if you ever want to.

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

Interesting, Thanks for the feedback, been a real help. If too much to ask already (already helped me a bunch). My friend is looking for a good gaming rig for around 600-700$ with keyboard and mouse included, if you would be willing to help me out with that as well. It does seem like you know what you are doing more than I do.

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

Is he looking for a mouse and keyboard like yours?

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

Im gonna say yes, same mouse and keyboard, no monitor. Great-not super- gaming desktop that he can upgrade in the future.

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

For OS and games because it greatly increases load times and games take a lot of space depending on how many games you load on the ssd but 64gb would be fine for OS for about $60. Here's a build though for your friend http://pcpartpicker.com/user/whopperjr92/saved/1DxV then use the ram from your build, the optical drive, the case, and mouse and keyboard. It will cost about $631 all together. The 4300 is about 15% faster than 4100 and the 7770 is a lot faster than 7750. Also that power supply is modular and goes on sale for $30 frequently. You can swap out hard drives if you want and that mobo is just as good as the one you picked. Hope this helps

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, you have helped me a lot and I greatly appreciate it. :)

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

Any more Q's and I have to start charging you.

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

Why?

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

Just kidding

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

Smartass powers activate! I do seriously appreciate the help :)

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

Make sure you get at least 1600mhz ram and remember for your build get the 7790

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube