add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Gigabyte R9 290X 4GB WINDFORCE or 290 Vapor x?

wilmer007

63 months ago

I have the vapor x in my part list but I notice this 290x is $10 cheaper.

should I swap and get the 290x?

how is the cooling on this card compared to the vapor x and how many extra frames are we talking about to justify the swap?

Comments

• 63 months ago
  • 2 points

If a 290x is cheaper than a 290, definitely go for it. Gigabyte's cooler is pretty good too

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

What he said.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

this 290x is $10 cheaper but i was reading some reviews and it has some issuesthat worry me such as dying quickly or having to do RMA, etc...

not sure i need some opinions preferbaly for someone who owns the card.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Relax. People only Write about a card when it is either really good or when it is broken. Most people don't have problem and therefore never write about it so you are only seeing the worst of the worst. if you are very worried then you could under clock to the performance of a 290.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I know right like everythime i order anything on amazon i never review it. unless the seller has no reviews or when i have an issue.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I really don´t like buying things with lots of bad reviews so i think i will get the vapor x instead. as much as i want a 290x i can´t really take a risk on a card that has alot of bad reviews and its death in less than a few weeks after purchase or a few months in. i need something that will last years not weeks or months.

i wont really see a difference other tan a few extra fps and i rather have piece of mind that the vapor x wont die on me quickly. i´m taking the video card i purchase to another country so i can´t afford to be doing RMA and having a video card die on me all the time so ill take the vapor x since it has no bad reviews let alone any reviews regarding the quick death of the video card.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

The vapor-x 290 is a great card. My brother owns one and I'm picking one up on black Friday or cyber Monday if it goes on sale. From what I remember its the highest stock clock of all 290s and if you get a good card it can be overclocked to just about as good as a 290x.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

well now im considering the 290x once again since i have done further research and found that most users settle around 70c for both of these cards at full load so temps arent a problem now.

however i also found alot of users on newegg, amazon and tom's hardware who are also reporting alot of issues with black screens and crashes. this is my main concern now because no one wants to buy card only to get it working then crash and hav to deal with RMA.

i would also like to hear from owners of this 290x card aswell.

like i said im stuck between these two cards and its mostly reliability that is the deciding factor. but i have about 3 weeks to make up my mind before i buy one of these.

so what is the lastest regarding these black screens and crashes across all 290x cards (espwcially with regards to this one).

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I would take the reviews with a grain of salt. Just imagine how many 290x have sold in the world. I'd guess 10s of thousands. When looking at reviews your only looking at a extremely small percentage of the people who bought a card. Most people do not make reviews when everything is working great. On the other side just about everyone will make a review about items when they don't work or are not up to the standards they were hoping for.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube