add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

AMD vs. Intel for low budget gaming

DodecPCs

67 months ago

Hello everyone. So my friend wants a computer and I said I would pick parts and build for him as he gets the money. So currently he just wants to game and do everyday things. He is an average user and don't think he will be doing anything more intensive.

So I have these parts locked in (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/s7BWzy) but I cannot pick out a CPU (and mobo because of obvious reasons lol.) He would like the price to be as low as possible. Right now I am juggling between an Intel i3 or an FX processor. I did not want to go down the A-Series route as the budget would most likely allow for a 750 Ti. Our local Microcenter has an i3 4150 available for $100.

Would you guys recommend an AMD (our microcenter also has a FX 4130 for about $40) or Intel. I am an Intel fanboy so I didn't want to decide as I want him to get the best performance for the money he has been working for.

Thanks.

Comments

• 67 months ago
  • 6 points

for $130 you can get a 8320 which yes will have lower core performance but everything else will benefit from the extra cores. but its a catch 22 because if you get the intel you can upgrade later. but my vote is amd. not having to worry about upgrading later. good price/performance. still has plenty of life in it.

• 67 months ago
  • 5 points

I agree with this. Just don't get the super low end 4130... If you need to spend THAT little, grab that new pentium so it can be upgraded to an i5 or i7 in the future

• 67 months ago
  • 3 points

I agree on the 8320, but you can boost the performance very easily, it will OC to 4.5Ghz easily on air if you choose to overclock, which will negate the per core performance issue.

• 67 months ago
  • 2 points

It's like getting a 9370 for half the price

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I disagree with the 8320. I just ordered one for a highly-threaded computing machine, but most games still don't take advantage of multiple core counts. For a low budget, a 4300 or 6300 would be a better choice. For that matter, the Intel Pentium G6358 is good for low-budget gaming.

• 67 months ago
  • 3 points

AMD, but not the 4130.

• 62 months ago
  • 3 points

What's the total budget here? You've already spent over $600 and don't even have a CPU + MB picked out. You're talking real money here so definitely some real options.

For what you've already priced you could tweak some things and really could get into an AMD FX class CPU. There's a good reason that CPU is $40 at Microcenter; they are trying to get rid of that old junk.

I'm an Intel fanboi too but you have to pay the price to be an Intel geek. When it comes to a tight budget; AMD is the way to go. The AMD FX 6300 would be a nice compromise between performance and price. I know dudes are pushing the 8820... and they aren't wrong... but he won't ever use or need 8 cores... he'll very rarely use 6... most things are simply still single threaded or maybe push two threads.

Yeah yeah yeah... I can hear them all now... "but SOOOOON everything will be using 8 cores!" Dream on; devs could be publishing stuff that used 4+ cores right now... things they developed 2 years ago could be using 4 cores right now.. they didn't. People make it sound so simple; it's not. It's a logistical nightmare trying to get those threads to line up later and bring meaningful results to you. Much easier to do in linear, sequential, things like encoding and compression which is why they already do it.

By the time people truly NEED 4 or more cores your friend will be looking to upgrade again anyway =P A massive part of the population is still on single and dual cores running 32bit Windows.

So I think 6 cores on the FX 6300 is fine now and for years to come. It can be overclocked. It's $30 cheaper than the FX 8320.

You can do better on the GPU for that price point. An AMD R9 270 is the same price and blows that 750 Ti out of the water. Would be a much better fit for an FX class CPU. http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1080?vs=1130

Save another $30 and get the NZXT Source 210 case. It's a nice case; no idea how they can sell it so cheap. Everything you need... nothing you don't. I like the white personally but it's a little more than the black. Spend that extra $30 on a better CPU!

If you're overclocking you need an aftermarket cooler. If you're not then the cooler that comes with the CPU is acceptable. Keep that in mind.

I know he wants a good deal but he doesn't want a potato either =) We can help you meet him in the middle somewhere.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

You can do with stock cooler from 3.5ghz to 3.8ghz no problem. I'm on 4.5ghz with cooler master evo 212 and temps on idle are - 30 to 35 degrees, and when live streaming around 50-65. Not bad after all cuz its ****** cooler.

• 67 months ago
  • 2 points

Anything really $200 and below I would recommend AMD more especially if you need a low end CPU for some something like a gaming rig or a light editing rig. However, if you are an enthusiast who want the most performance Intel is for you.

• 67 months ago
  • 2 points

AMD FX-8320 is like awesome. AMD FX-6300 is also awesome. if you really are an intel fanboy like me get the pentium g3258. 4.5 ghz easily dual core like a boss. 80 bucks. save some money and faster. 3.2 ghz stock but it is unlocked

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Totally legit route here IF your friend is an enthusiast and/or you are going to help him. This is not your 'build it and forget it' build. You'll be playing with getting it all dialed in, tweaked, stable, so he can enjoy it. He'll have a zipper on the thing... always in there tinkering with something. That's fine if he'0s into that. If he 'just wants it to work' then don't go this route... or any overclocking route TBH.

• 67 months ago
  • 2 points

Go with the FX 6300 you won't regret it.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

I would go with the i3, It is great for gaming yet runs nice and cool. Compared to the closest priced AMD cpu (fx-6300) they both seem to get the same performance in gaming. Yes the fx has 6 cores but I haven't seen a ton of games out there that run on more than 4 cores. The hyper-threading will be a welcoming feature if he does something more cpu intensive other than gaming. Not to mention if he wants to get much better performance he can upgrade to something like an i5 later down the road. All in all as long as all he is doing is gaming and everyday browsing then get either one. I can not recommend the fx 4xxx series mostly because for 50 bucks you can get a Pentium that gives you the same gaming experience as an i3 but less muli-core benefits since Pentiums don't have hyper-threading. Honestly if anything I would consider the fx-6300. If it was me though I would go Intel but that's mostly for other reasons than performance.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd recommend AMD for low budget builds, such as FX-6300 or FX-8320 which has great price/performance ratio. But if you REALLY want to go for Intel, you'd better stay away from i3 if your budget is tight and/or looking for best bang for the buck. The Pentium anniversary combo on Microcenter ($99 for a Pentium G3528 + a Z97 mobo) would be your best bet because you can overclock and take it close to lower-end i3 performance.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

ikr i saw that combo.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Generally speaking as prices vary : budget under $350-400 usually A8-A10 $450-500 G3258 or Athlon X4 with an r9 270.. if you cant find better GPU than a r9 270 might as well stick with A10 -- $500 fx6300 $550 8320 $700 + I5

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

here is an example of a low budget I5 with tons of up gradable options.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $234.99 @ NCIX US
Motherboard ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $119.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $74.70 @ Newegg
Storage Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $54.99 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB Video Card $159.99 @ Newegg
Case Azza CSAZ-206 ATX Mid Tower Case $24.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply $19.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer $14.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $704.63
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I would consider upgrading the 430w to at least a 500w if you want to overclock.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

True but no aftermarket cooler listed either. Not really in the budget I'd imagine. Future upgrades.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

If you are planning for low budget gaming then choose amd processor. AMD processors are normally cost less while compare to intel.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Personally I would spend the little extra and I would get the amd fx 6300 it is a very good cpu for the cost and would be all you needed for light gaming.

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

The fx-6300 does well in very heavy gaming as well.

• 67 months ago
  • 0 points

I like Intel processors too. I will pay more, just because they are rock solid and fast. I can't go back to AMD after having one. It's just that your budget is so low...

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

AMD is better for value because many of their cpus come unlocked, allowing for overclocking to achieve better performance

• 61 months ago
  • 0 points

If you want to spend as little as possible and avoid an APU, shop for a Pentium G2358 or AMD FX-4300. Whichever way you go, you have an unlocked processor that you would probably want to overclock for best gaming performance. You don't need an i3/i5, they are expensive and give little extra advantage, since games usually concern themselves with single-threaded performance more than multiple cores. So, don't listen to the people saying FX-8320/8350 either.

[comment deleted]
  • 67 months ago
  • 1 point

You don't say? But the store has an FX 4130 for $40 but the Intel i3 costs $130. At $130 you could get an FX 8320 which is extremely easy to overclock...and it's waaay more powerful than an i3. So although an i3 beats the FX 4130, AMD has much much much better price to performance ratio. But still, Intel has much more powerful processors.

[comment deleted]
  • 67 months ago
  • 1 point

You forgot the FM2 series from AMD. An i3 can beat a Athlon 750K. However, the 750K is about $30-$40.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube