add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Mom building a computer for her son.

salamanderclan
  • 71 months ago

I am a mom, and not all that computer savy and I promised my 16 year old that he would get a new computer for gaming. I am not really good at this, and to be honest, all of the stuff out there makes my head spin. He wants a computer to game with. This is an upgrade. (his current computer will go to his little brother) He will only run one screen, but plays Battlefield 4, Starcraft and all of those crazy games. I really didn't want to go over 1200 but I want to make sure that he can play his games on high since he's fussing about his games only playing at medium resolution now, and I want this to last for a couple of years until he's out of my house, which means he's on his own for any new toys.!

I would really appreciate any feedback and suggestions on my builds below so that: 1. I will be the coolest mom in the world to my teenager, and 2. So I don't screw anything up.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/v4P7GX

second build:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YXhYmG

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

Here's a slightly different setup that keeps the same level of performance for under your 1200 budget, let me know if you'd like anything explained and good luck

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $234.99 @ NCIX US
CPU Cooler Phanteks PH-TC12DX_RD 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler $59.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $118.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $82.99 @ Newegg
Storage PNY XLR8 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $99.99 @ Micro Center
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.99 @ Amazon
Video Card PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB PCS+ Video Card $379.99 @ Newegg
Case Corsair SPEC-03 Red ATX Mid Tower Case $49.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $99.99 @ NCIX US
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1160.91
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm sorry i missed the $1200 budget.. I wouldn't have added all the bells and whistles. but out of curiosity why the Phantek over the 212 Evo

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

ahh it is smaller..is 1 reason..

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

other reason is it matches the motherboard :P

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh thank you thank you thank you !

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I actually have this case and its very nice. It is an older model but works great and lots of space! I personally like it. I customized the fans that will fit perfectly in that case set up similar to what I run. This PSU will suffice and well as allow for Dual SLI in future if he wants. I recommend the 780 mainly for driver support. This system will efficiently run everything at High/ultra settings at 1080p. Hope this helped.

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $234.99 @ NCIX US
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $92.99 @ NCIX US
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $189.99 @ NCIX US
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $89.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $72.00 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card $499.99 @ Amazon
Case Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case $169.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply Corsair CSM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $108.29 @ Amazon
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer $14.99 @ Newegg
Wireless Network Adapter Rosewill RNX-N150PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $10.98 @ Amazon
Case Fan Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 39.9 CFM 120mm Fans $24.15 @ NCIX US
Case Fan Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 39.9 CFM 120mm Fans $24.15 @ NCIX US
Case Fan Cooler Master Megaflow 110.0 CFM 200mm Fan $14.98 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Cooler Master R4-SPS-20AK-GP 24.2 CFM 80mm Fan $7.98 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1610.45
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

This is super. I have so many great responses from people who were so kind as to help me. Thank you

[comment deleted]
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

The i5-4690 and i5-4690k both benchmark about the same, but the i5-4690 is less expensive.

i also managed to squeeze in a blu-ray reader/cd/dvd combo drive.

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $214.99 @ NCIX US
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI Z97-G55 SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $116.99 @ Mac Mall
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $86.99 @ Newegg
Storage Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $54.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB DirectCU II Video Card $309.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case $49.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $79.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive LG UH12NS29 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer $59.98 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1143.86
[comment deleted]
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you so much. I am so thankful to everyone who has responded. You guys have been great. I can't wait to start ordering these parts and then as they arrive, watch his beaming face! It will be fun for us to work together to make it !

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Now I have to decide which way to go. You guys have been so wonderful to me. I, by myself already hardwired the house with cat6.. and now my kids will think I am so cool when these parts come in! Thank you thank you thank you so much for all of your help.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Wired the house with cat6, eh. A geek's dream mom. :)

[comment deleted]
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh my goodness. Thank you so much. I am so happy to see this, and I am sure that he will freak when these parts start coming in. You are so wonderful. !!

xoxo

Jenn

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

unless its a surprise I would let your kid pick out the case.. because that is something that is preference and it will make him feel involved. For a $1200 budget I rate either phantomtaco or jhpcsb117 a +1

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow.. I have so many options and I really appreciate that you kept the colors cool. He has no preference. All Michael wants to do is game. I like how you responded and I am so very thankful. I also like how you think. Do you feel that this will be an ok rig? Should I spend more to last him longer to go faster? I have to purchase an O/S since we are still using windows 7. But I am willing to go 1600.00 including the OS. I know in a few years this will be obsolete, but I am trying to keep him good to go for three years.. then he is in College and has to save his own dough. Thank you so much.

Jenn

[comment deleted]
  • 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Aww thank you so much for this build. We are still working on two silly things.. the case and the cooler... I like this build a bunch.. he is going to be so happy :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube