add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

USB 3.0 Motherboard Headers In USB 2.0 Front Panel Case

PiecesOfPoop

63 months ago

My motherboard (Gigabyte LGA 1150 Z97 D3H) has USB 3.0 headers, but I bought a case with USB 2.0 front panel due to budget restrictions (USB 3.0 case was $20 more).

Will my motherboard header fit the USB 3.0 front panel?

If not, how would I fix it?

Comments

• 63 months ago
  • 2 points

No it will not work, due to physical incompatibility. Though the MOBO does have 2.0 headers.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Good point, I missed that.

2 USB 3.0 and 6 USB 2.0.

It's just that I can't find the headers.

• 63 months ago
  • 2 points

please do not cross-post across multiple forums - once is sufficient.

In a nutshell, you will not be able to use the USB3.0 headers on the motherboard. However, you have USB 2.0 headers on the motherboard too, so the front panel USB2.0 ports on the case will be able to be hooked up fine.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry, but I wanted to get as much feedback as possible. My bad.

Thanks for the reply! I had it figured out, I just forgot that I had USB 2.0 headers.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Unfortunately not as far as I know, most cases wont support a different type of USB port in a 'incorrect' placement. If you can I recommend just slightly downgrading some part of your system and getting a better case.

BUT... Some cases will be just fine with this just go look at the manufacturers website and find a forum for the part as their is bound to be someone with the same problem

Hope this helps

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I can use the USB 2.0 headers.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

What do you mean you can't use the headers?

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I just said I can use the USB 2.0 headers.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Heh.. Whoops, sorry.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Haha no problem we all miss things.

• 63 months ago
  • -1 points

yes it would. It just won't be usb 3

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube