add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

cannot decide between gtx 780 and r9 290x

benedictmeowsni

64 months ago

i try to look it up on numerous sites but there's so many conflicting findings that i just don't know anymore.

i would like to eventually get a nice 1440 monitor, or 4k if my budget allows, down the road. (i'll be dual monitored as well, just to clarify. one 1080p monitor and one 1440 or 4k monitor)

and highest settings on everything would be very nice indeed.

which of these two cards is the better option? the gtx 780 is /slightly/ cheaper, but will i get better performance from an r9 290x? i plan to sli/xfire down the road as well. (which would probably help with the higher resolution monitors.) the evga 780 card is tempting, and for the r9 290x i'm relatively flexible, but the gigabyte and asus cards caught my eye.

(as a side, is it smart to match up manufacturers when it comes to gpu + mobo? or does that not really matter? i've been trying to match just to be on the safe side, but if it's a negligible difference, then i am down to mix and match)

Comments

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

I wouldnt get the Asus R9 290x. The asus cooler is really designed for the 780/780ti and doesnt work as well as other 290 coolers. I have heard that the 290/290x does better at higher resolutions than the 780.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

ah ok. so it's probably wise to go that route if i end up getting monitors with higher resolutions?

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Try to think of it this way the 780 is comparable to a 290, and the 290x is comparable to a 780ti but much cheaper. I would go with a 290x much better vram for gaming at higher resolutions.

Also if you do choose to go the 290x route id go with the vapor-x model. Its awesome looking, has a great cooler and if I'm correct its the highest stock OC of all the 290x.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

do you think it would be worth the extra 100+ dollars to go for the 290x?

i might just go for the vapor-x 290 which seems to perform very very well. i'm scrapping the whole higher resolution thing for now, so that's not too much of an issue.

i also have read that the 290 and 290x are pretty close in performance, too. so the price difference doesn't seem worth it.

what do you think?

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Id say the extra 100 might be worth it if you decided to game on multi monitors or 4k down the road. If not then a 290 is still a great card.

Again the Vapor-x model of the 290 is great looking, still a 4gb card same as 290x, and still is the best model out of all the 290s. Also you can overclock the card to almost match the stock OC on a 290x.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

yea i think i'll go for that. i realized that 4k gaming isn't really that worth it right now hahaha. 4k is beautiful but the sheer amount of dough i need to drop to make it viable isn't worth it.

290 it is! which is great because the performance|price ratio for the 290 is unmatched by any other gpu from what i've looked up.

thanks for the help!

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Happy to help, and good luck.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

The PowerColor PCS+ 290s and 290Xs are also really good, have high stock overclocks, and are often cheaper than the Vapor-X models. Thay use a 2.5 slot cooler though, so it doesn't always fit in all situations.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube