add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Opinions on upgrades for current build

WF36DMD
  • 2 months ago

Location: Canada (Memory Express location within driving distance)
Budget: Price to performance. I’m looking for the best value but it doesn’t need to be the cheapest.

I built this budget computer for the kids to play Minecraft, Roblox, Fortnite, watch Youtube, etc. Some of the parts were new and some were ones I had on hand.

They have also now started playing Apex Legends, CoD Warzone and games on Steam.

I recently purchased the EVGA RTX 2060 6 GB KO Ultra hoping that would be enough.

I’m looking for feedback on what other upgrades can be done or is it better to not put any more money into this one and start over later in the year (post-COVID). I feel that the RAM needs to be increased to 16GB and possibly faster.

If the Ryzen 5 1600 AF was available in Canada for $85 USD I would definitely do that.

I have put the monitor on the list since it was one of the parts I had on hand and I feel this is also something that can be improved.

The case also needs more fans – currently have one in the front and one in the back.

Thank you.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor -
Motherboard Asus PRIME B450M-A/CSM Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $78.99 @ B&H
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $48.99 @ Newegg
Storage PNY CS1311 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive -
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $44.99 @ Adorama
Video Card EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB KO ULTRA GAMING Video Card -
Case Thermaltake Versa H17 MicroATX Mini Tower Case $44.99 @ Best Buy
Power Supply EVGA BT 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply -
Monitor Compaq LA2306x 23.0" 1920x1080 Monitor -
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $217.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-01 11:31 EDT-0400

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

I would go for a different case with better airflow. You said you plan on adding more fans and since you got a 2060 and are contemplating upgrading the CPU you'd definitely want good airflow. That case is much better suited for APUs, plus, don't you want to show off the system?

The 2200G should be able to last them a while longer, but consider upgrading to maybe a 2600 if you can't find a 1600 AF for a good price (here in the UK it's more expensive than a 2600).

You'll also want to upgrade the RAM, 16 GB is much better for gaming especially now that your kids are playing more system intensive games than Minecraft or Roblox. You'll also want RAM at faster speeds, ideally 3200 MHz+.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I've ordered 16 GB of 3200 MHz memory.
I'm still looking for a case that won't cost 50% more with shipping.
Still looking for a monitor too.

Thank you.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Here is your list just with a better case and 16GB 3200 MHz

It has the Phanteks P300A Mesh (Right now it is $49.99 but that's a $10 discount) which is a really good case with a tempered glass side panel and it has a full mesh front panel which is excellent for airflow and looks pretty cool if your kids got LED fans

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VtPWPn

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube