add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

1st time building. Advice would be appreciated

ogphilk
  • 1 month ago

Hi, I'm looking to build myself my first PC for 1440p gaming, my budget is around £1250, I've spent the last couple of days doing research here and there, and threw this together with some help. Any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU *AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor £270.00 @ Currys PC World
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard £83.98 @ Laptops Direct
Memory *Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory £71.58 @ Aria PC
Storage Kingston A400 120 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive £26.69 @ CCL Computers
Storage Samsung 860 QVO 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive £101.99 @ CCL Computers
Video Card *PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Video Card £338.99 @ CCL Computers
Case *Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case £40.47 @ Scan.co.uk
Power Supply *Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply £69.98 @ Currys PC World Business
Monitor Samsung LC27JG50QQNZA 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor £263.23 @ Senetic
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £1266.91
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-01 14:43 BST+0100

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Instead of going for that 1 TB SSD go for a 2 TB hard drive. Double the storage at half the price, Although keep the 120 GB SSD for your boot drive.

You don't need the 3700X for 1440p gaming as it's more taxing on the GPU, you'll get away nicely with a 3600, which in turn will also save you some cash.

You'll want your RAM to be at a faster, ideally 3200 MHz+.

You also might want to consider getting a better case, (nothing wrong with this one, just not as high quality) at this budget you can afford it (at any budget really) and it'll look nicer.

Also make sure your motherboard is compatible with 3rd gen Ryzen out of the box as it'll save you some hassle as a first time builder.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for your reply, a couple of follow up questions if you don't mind.

I've done a bit of reading around storage, and a lot of what I've read seems to say that the only benefit to having an SSD for main storage is a faster boot up time for games, but my brother swears that it has bigger impacts on some games performance and has been highly recommending that I only go for SSD's.

Would it definitely not be worth spending a bit extra on a newer processor?

Otherwise thanks for the tips, I've found a much nicer case and upped the ram to 3600 MHz

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The 3600 is the best price-to-performance processor in the market right now. While the 3700X might be a bit better, it won't really help your 1440p gaming performance as higher resolution gaming demands a more powerful graphics card, not CPU. A 3600 will do quite nicely at 1440p gaming paired with a 5700 XT.

SSDs will give you faster boot times for both your OS and games. I'm sure in some instances they will give you a bit better performance, but I think it won't be noticeable, even in online play (I have lots of experience playing Overwatch or Rocket League on the XBOX One and my brother has lots of experience with FIFA Ultimate Team, and we have no problems with the 5400 RPM HDD in the XBOX One, it doesn't inhibit our performance in any games, even online). It's always nice to have only SSDs (that's what I have in my rig) but if you have a bunch of games you want to play its best to have a combo of SSD and HDD (SSD for OS, important software and files and most played games, HDD for your games). You can't go wrong with a Hard drive nowadays considering the price you pay for 2 TB.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube