add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Throw a 1660 Super in this system - 1440p gaming?

Mike_Rigby
  • 1 month ago

My current build that I use daily is here

I used it for 1080p gaming but recently got a 1440p 144Hz monitor, and surprisingly my r9 380 seems to handle 1440p very well at medium settings (I only play DayZ and AOE2 DE, so nothing too demanding). It does get a bit hot though.

I have been getting the urge to just do a full upgrade (MOBO, CPU and GPU) but after some research I found that to keep cost down whilst having modern hardware, I could just spend around £200 on a 1660 Super, put it in this system and have a very good 1440p gaming experience? I don't believe my i5-6500 will be too much of a botteleneck because at 1440p games are mostly GPU bound.

I'd like to know if you feel like I am right in thinking this or would you recommend a more comprehensive upgrade?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Meh, for 1440p 144hz it wouldn't be the best.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I see - why is that?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

It's not that strong of a GPU, and your CPU is pretty weak. I'd get a RX 5600XT, because it is extremely good value for the price. Your CPU will bottleneck the performance a bit, but the GPU is the big problem. I'd recommend upgrading to AMD Ryzen in the future.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Definitely correct, but a 5600XT would set me back anywhere between £250-£280 and I think my limit is £200 for a GPU at the moment.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

and surprisingly my r9 380 seems to handle 1440p very well at medium settings (I only play DayZ and AOE2 DE, so nothing too demanding).

If you're managing 60fps (or more) on medium settings in these lesser demanding titles, the GTX 1660 Super should easily manage higher/ultra quality settings.

Generally for 1440p a higher ranking card is usually recommended, especially for more graphically intense gaming titles. But for your selected games and being your content with current performance, the GTX 1660 SUPER makes for a pretty solid upgrade.

I don't believe my i5-6500 will be too much of a botteleneck because at 1440p games are mostly GPU bound.

Possibly! If you are planning on branching out on more demanding titles, the the i5-6500 might not cut it. Otherwise you're in good hands. A marginal bottleneck is perfectly fine. If you end up seeing more wider punishing penalties, that shouldn't be a problem either as you can always upgrade the platform later on for something better - preferably when Ryzen 4000 series hits the shelves (or intel newcomers - if the perf/price is attractive).

"1440p games are mostly GPU bound" - correct! which eases the burden-of-concern assuming both games are already running smoothly.

Also I wouldn't recommend purchasing higher end cards at the mo (above the 1660 super) as Nvidia is set to launch next GEN Ampere GPUs which are boastfully rumoured with excessive performance gains. A 200 quid 1660 super feels like a safer bet!!

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your thorough reply.

If you're managing 60fps (or more) on medium settings in these lesser demanding titles, the GTX 1660 Super should easily manage higher/ultra quality settings.

Generally for 1440p a higher ranking card is usually recommended, especially for more graphically intense gaming titles. But for your selected games and being your content with current performance, the GTX 1660 SUPER makes for a pretty solid upgrade.

This is exactly what I was thinking! My R9 380 can just about handle these games and they're the only ones I play regularly, but I feel a 1660 would be able to manage them on higher settings easily, without breaking the bank.

you can always upgrade the platform later on for something better - preferably when Ryzen 4000 series hits the shelves (or intel newcomers - if the perf/price is attractive).

Also I wouldn't recommend purchasing higher end cards at the mo (above the 1660 super) as Nvidia is set to launch next GEN Ampere GPUs which are boastfully rumoured with excessive performance gains. A 200 quid 1660 super feels like a safer bet!!

I'm glad you brought this up because I have a question on the subject of upgrading. If I were to bite the bullet and go for a full PC upgrade (basically a whole new build barring case and psu), would you recommend waiting for the new Ryzen/Intel chips and new GPU's that are due to come out this year? If I am going to go for a new build I am quite keen to get the most up to date hardware.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Sorry to burst your bubble, there are 0 confirmed rumors about the GeForce 3000 series, people are just guessing because they released the 1000 series in 2016, 2000 in 2018, so people think they will release 3000 in 2020. I’d pull the trigger and get the 1660s.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Ah I see. I wasn't really eagerly anticipating the release of the 3000 series cards anyway if I'm honest (as I doubt I would be purchasing them at the price point they'd be at). But do you think Nvidia and/or AMD will be bringing out any new graphics cards this year? And if so, would you recommend waiting to see what that brings to the table? or just pull the trigger on the 1660s like you said?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I’d say it’s all rumors, but do some more research if you want

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I'm glad you brought this up because I have a question on the subject of upgrading. If I were to bite the bullet and go for a full PC upgrade (basically a whole new build barring case and psu), would you recommend waiting for the new Ryzen/Intel chips and new GPU's that are due to come out this year? If I am going to go for a new build I am quite keen to get the most up to date hardware.

My personal take: if you're happy with your current hardware (incl. the newer GTX upgrade) and anticipated game performance, stick with what you have for as long as possible. If that means having to dodge 2020 all-together for forthcoming generational architectures, so be it! Year-in-year-out there's always something bigger/better around the corner hence there's no perfect opportunity to schedule an upgrade. On the most part, if your current rig finally starts to whimper or it's not up-to-scratch with more demanding tasks / games, this would be a pretty good indicator for mission upgrade-affirmative.

In your case, the i5-6500 is drivable in lesser CPU resource dense games. If you're looking to expand to more demanding titles or newer cutting-edge games in the long run, the 6500 is likely to struggle hence a 2020/or so upgrade makes sense. If you're sticking with your 2 currently played titles until the year 2099 (lol) with current performance targets remaining the same, your next upgrade should be in 2099 (unless Windows/game devs force wonky update patches which suggest otherwise). I hope it makes sense :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube