add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

3900x Temps

Lee35
  • 1 month ago

been running a while now and my temps are as follows

Idle / Desktop about 33 degrees Cinebench r20 between 80 and 82 degrees PLaying cod MW2 around 56-60 degrees

running a h150i AIO with 9 x corsair LL120 rgb

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

33c idle: NICE

60c game: NICE

82c in strenuously heavy-lift multi-threaded workloads with a 12 core 24 thread chip sounds pretty reasonable to me. You have to remember these chips can consume above 200W's of power and being these are fragmented/clustered core arrangements which are not central to the IHS (where energy/heat dissipation is best mined), higher temps are expected. The greater concern is dwindling performance (CPU throttling) - if you're getting decent returns (all core/thread around 4.18-4.22Ghz feasible bench) in these types of workloads, i wouldn't worry.

More importantly, how are you fairing in your actual multi-threaded workflows? Cinebench heavy lifting is not representative of most real-world multi-threaded workloads hence you are likely to see better results in your actively engaged projects/rendering/streaming/etc.

If this is a game-only rig - ignore cinebench all-together (unless you're bench-pressing single-threaded performance only)!!

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Cheers.

I'm new to this amount of detail and playing with bios. At the moment I have 12 cores set at 4300 and 1.3v. It is a gaming rig but I like to play about with settings. I'm sure processor is overkill for games but got it at right price.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

60c with gaming is heavenly!!

BTW- you might want to leave everything set on default. At default (stock), the pre-engineered boost configurations are seen to deliver best single-threaded performance. This is where you'll achieve better performance in games with higher clock frequencies.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Cheers. I do when I'm gaming because It only uses a few cores and they run faster.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

One strange thing is that I find I can run all 12 cores at 4450 at 1.45v. If I have it on auto during cod it never goes above 4400 on a few cores.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yes this is possible on lower-thread exploited workloads but whether it's sustained or 12-thread stomached performance is another story. Most likely you're seeing 1/2 core short-lived performance spikes in the plus 4400 territory. You might want to run something like HWINFO alongside the game and see how each of the threads are measuring up in real-time. If you're continuously hitting 4400-4450Mhz (variably) on all 12 runners, you've got a mighty multiple silicon lotto on your hand.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I run the ryzen monitor program and set all cores to 4400 and 1.45v, runs games fine and runs cinebench r20 without crashing, if I go to 4500 it doesn't like it. not sure if leaving it at this setting will damage the chip tho. I don't know enough about this kind of thing. I'm playing at it really.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Anyone know if these seem ok or still a little high.?.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Considering Cinebench is pretty stressful on the CPU, i consider that temp as acceptable.

The other temps are very good.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. been playing with settings. i did have off set voltage of .5 but wanted to run an normal as it was reducing my cinebench score :-). think i may try getting a bit more out of it now, hopefully wont break it.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Also i should point out, that Cinebench R20 has an increased workload complexity, increased memory usage and it's based on the latest rendering engine from Cinema 4D R20.

It supports AVX, AVX2, and AVX512 instruction sets and supports up to 256 render threads!

So, it's quite heavy! That's why it hammers the processor thus the higher CPU temps. :)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I am no experts, but I am currious , what motherboard do you have?

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Meg x570 ace

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I hope a decent one, considering the price of the processor. :)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Well if it was MSI MPG X570 Gaming EDGE Wi-Fi he would probably be mourning his PC by now .😂 That said it is highly possible that Hardware Unboxed tests in Blender are far more punishing.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

On a closed case with some decent airflow the temps would be way less than 100, provided you will run the CPU at stock.

At worse, a fan near the VRM heat-sink would also decrease the temps significantly. ;)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

It went to 125 ffs

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

lol, that's quite a lot.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube