add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
ksmith2001
  • 1 month ago

This is my first time building a PC and this what I came up with so far, any advice helps! https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Bvnrq3

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

RAW performance over pretty lights:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $174.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard $149.97 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $68.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $64.99 @ Newegg
Video Card EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card $469.99 @ Newegg
Case Cooler Master MasterBox NR600 (w/o ODD) ATX Mid Tower Case $69.98 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $83.98 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1122.89
Mail-in rebates -$40.00
Total $1082.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-21 13:33 EST-0500

Alrenatively throw in 2700X for some pretty lights, better performing cooler and 5% - 10% frames per second.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I’m bad with this stuff but if I’m not mistaken the 2700x is a cpu? If so what makes it better than the 3600.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

3600 is a bit better purely gaming CPU. 2700X is better for streaming and usually in productivity as well(video editing and stuff). Reason I suggested it is well you are clearly crazy in love with RGB , so figured why not. It's included cooler is apparently much better than the 1 with 3600 and also has some nice RGB. To some people that might be a plus.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

For me I’ll mainly just be using it for gaming and school work, so I wouldn’t be streaming. What about keeping the 3600, buying this cpu cooler as suggested by another user. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/cr8j4D/deepcool-gammaxx-gte-565-cfm-cpu-cooler-gammaxx-gte Which will provide better cooling for better overclocking?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I think it's a good idea. And even if you do decide to do more than you need it for at the moment , is a fantastic piece of hardware and great purchase that is very decent at everything. It will last you for many years probably, especially with 2070 Super in taw. 2070 Super destroys 2060. There is no contests. 2060 is a fantastic card, but I felt that if dramatically more powerful card can fit your budget you should go for it. Adding RGB lights later is cheap. Upgrading from a excellent GPU to a monster GPU isn't.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dB4hvW Here’s an updated parts list based on the suggestions made.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I got a feeling you're absolutely sold on that case and it's RGB appeal. Without swapping it out:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $174.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Deepcool GAMMAXX GTE 56.5 CFM CPU Cooler $29.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard $114.89 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory $95.99 @ Amazon
Storage Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $112.99 @ Newegg
Video Card EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB KO GAMING Video Card $303.98 @ Newegg
Case Corsair iCUE 465X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case $143.75 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $69.18 @ Amazon
Wireless Network Adapter Asus PCE-AC55BT B1 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter $31.85 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1077.61
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-21 13:35 EST-0500

Notes:

• The 3600 chip deserves an aftermarket cooler as the stock addition is going to drive you nuts (if noise-sensitive-affirmative). A beefier cooler is equally useful in raising the bar with the CPU's ranked boost clock capabilities (better performance).

• Swapped the board for a B450 "MAX" variant. These are newer additions to the B450 line-up, supplemented primarily for "Ryzen 3000 readiness". No BIOS updates required. Likewise, the MAX variants support larger BIOS chips which fully support 3rd GEN amalgamated features and are more prone to lesser compromise with future updates.

• Assuming you need wifi, i've thrown in a wifi pcie card. If not needed - retract.

• Faster RAM for a few bucks more.

• Double the storage. If you intend on installing a bunch of demanding games, 500GB will quickly fill up. You don't want to max out the capacity at it's full length as it will impact performance. 1TB fast NVME storage added. Feel free to retract if the requirement is safe-keeps @ 500GB.

Other possibilities:

• Possibly a budget case for around $50 and get a faster functioning graphics card. This ones purely down to user preference. For 1080p gaming, the RTX 2060 is phenomenal - does a pretty good job at 1440p too (60fps+). For 12-15% gains in GPU performance the $50 case leverage allows for a 2060 SUPER (purely optional).
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I’m a little confused on your reason for changing the motherboard, do you mind dumbing that down for me🤣. Also, what is your reason for the graphics card change?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I’m a little confused on your reason for changing the motherboard, do you mind dumbing that down for me

no problem.

"B450" motherboards require a BIOS update in order to support Ryzen 3000 series CPUs (Ryzen 3600/3600x/3700x/etc). This cannot be achieved with a newly purchased 3000 series CPU. You will either have to use an older compatible CPU or use the Flash Bios button feature to first update the board and then you can use the new Ryzen 3600 CPU.

"B450 MAX" eliminates the above hassle. Motherboards which are labelled "MAX" are already Ryzen 3000 ready so the update process is no longer required. MAX labelled motherboards also use a large BIOS chip which allows full use of all features pertaining to the chipset/motherboard functions. For gaming I wouldn't worry so much about "full-feature potential" as all primary functions for a gaming and general day-to-day build are already fully accessible.

If you want to stick with the MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC, it does support the Flash Button Bios update feature so you won't need a previous GEN CPU. This will require downloading a more current BIOS version (from the board manufacturers support page) to a USB stick and then a follow-up on the following instructions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTkXunUAriE

Also, what is your reason for the graphics card change?

EVGA recently launched the KO variants with a marginally lower boost clock but greater OC potential. In other words, you can save a little money and can easily push the card to match the performance of a $330-$350 2060. If you prefer a different card from an aesthetics point of view - go for it... it's only a play of $20 or so bucks.

Alternatively, for $20 more, this higher clocked KO variant which also supports some decent overclocking headroom to push for a little more juice: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2H7p99/evga-geforce-rtx-2060-6-gb-ko-ultra-gaming-video-card-06g-p4-2068-kr

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dB4hvW Here’s an updated parts list, let me know what you think.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

This looks great!!

Keep in mind, if you need WIFI, you will need a WIFI card/USB adapter.

The only thing I would look to change is the PSU. It's a great unit, but for $104 you can do better for the same cost - something like: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4xGnTW/phanteks-amp-650-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ph-p650g_us01

It's a newly launched unit from Phanteks (using one of the best manufacturers in town: Seasonic) + fully modular!

If user feedback is crucial by a significant sum, for $5 more this ones an equally fantastic unit (again fully modular too): https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2HbwrH/corsair-rmx-2018-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020178-na

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I’ll be on Ethernet most likely but if I do need the WiFi adapter does is just plug into the motherboard?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

You are pay a bit too much for the Samsung 970 Evo. You will get just a much from either the WD Blue or Crucial P1 NVMe drives. You really do not need 700 watts of power. Add a 120mm fan to the back of the case for exhaust. Other than that, that looks like a pretty solid build. The case is a bit expensive but if you like go for it.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the advice, I was working on this till like 4 in the morning so I clearly got lazy with the ssd and power supply.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube