add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Music Production/Gaming Build

jerspc92
  • 1 month ago

Looking for feedback before I start putting this together

This build is mostly for music production but I want to be able to do some 1080p-1440p gaming on it. This would be my first build so any help is greatly appreciated!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KpPLdm

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

For a core count sensitive music production rig, assuming you want the absolute best performance possible for the budget.... i'd look to Ryzen's higher core count multi-threaded CPUs. 3rd Gen Ryzen is equally fantastic for game performance. Although, this will come at a cost of eliminating some of the aesthetic flare. Also an indispensable compromise if you're looking to play games @1440p which will demand a better graphics card (assuming you want to maintain higher visual quality functions in demanding games).

Eg.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor $469.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler $48.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard $182.99 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory $150.98 @ Newegg
Storage HP EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $129.94 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $53.98 @ Newegg
Video Card EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB KO GAMING Video Card $303.98 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case $99.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply Phanteks AMP 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $105.98 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1546.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-21 13:05 EST-0500

Essentially:

• A 12 core 24 thread Ryzen 3900X CPU which aims to rip through complex audio projects at twice the speed.

• Faster Ryzen process complimentary RAM

• Faster NVME SSD (x3+ the speed over traditional SATA-SSDs). 1TB is sufficient for the OS, applications and active projects + active asset libraries. Also sufficient for your most played gaming titles. You won't lose any performance saving games on the HD, other than slower but workable game load times.

• Doubled up on HD capacity @ 2TB - only a few bucks more!!

• Faster graphics card. If you're serious about 1440p gaming, the RTX 2060 is capable of achieving 60fps+ via higher/ultra demanding game configurations (a select few may push for med/high configs). Works wonders with higher refresh rate panels with lesser demanding games or down-tuned quality configurations. If the budget has wings, you could push up on the 12-15% faster RTX 2060 SUPER card (or go higher...).

• Better quality PSU

The compromise:

• AIO cooler

• Aesthetically pleasing case

The more concerning compromise:

• Thunderbolt 3. If the build requirement initial selection for the Designare motherboard was to secure TB3, that pretty much changes everything. I'll have to look into whether X570 boards support TB (let me know).
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

thank you for the reply, I initially wanted to use a Ryzen CPU with the ASRock X570 MB (because of TB3) but apparently it isn't very good. I have an audio interface with TB3 that I wanted to take advantage of.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Ah! I wasn't aware any of the AMD X570s supported TB.

Anyway, back to the drawing board. The good news: your budget is capable of securing both the Designare + multi-threaded i9-9900KF CPU. That's almost a 30%+ push in project completion times and faster rendering in general. The question is, is the RGB case and AIO a compromise you are willing to forfeit. That's purely down to user preference :) I'll understand if it's in the negative... nothing wrong with a little flare with some aesthetic appeal as long as you aware of the alternative performance possibilities :)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Haha I would love a pretty case but if I have to use something else I'm willing to make that change

would something like the Thermaltake Core P3 ATX Mid Tower Case work?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

bump

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube