add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

[first build][feedback and advice requested]Gaming and editing AMD mATX build

Iniaes
  • 1 month ago

::EDIT:: Parts list has been changed after some great feedback and advise, scroll to bottom of the thread for my 2 pennies. ::EDIT::

So here's the parts list, I'd like any feedback on component selection, if I can get some meaningful performance increase for an extra £10 here or there. Also if I've made some howling errors in pars selection I would like to know. I hope to start buying parts up piecemeal over the next few months and do the build over summer after finishing decorating my study this Easter.

Not sure if my blurb is included in the link, so:-

As close to the bleeding edge as I can justify spending. Great parts that should perform well for at least a few years to come, with easy scope for upgrading.

Aspirations are to add a full liquid cooling loop for the CPU and GPU in the future. Depending on how the DX12 dual GPU development goes I may use the second PCIE slot for an other GPU too, or upgrade to whatever comes out next from AMD with their NAVI+ GPUs, along with a beefier PSU to drive it all.

On top of that I'll either add an other two 1440p 144Hz monitors for a triple setup, or a 49" UWQHD display at 1080/1440p, with the 27 inch screen as a satellite display for work. Happy with AMD GPUs for now as VR does not appeal to me due to the stuff I spend most of my time playing (for now).

I'm 70% sure the 240mm radiator and fans for the CPU AIOwill fit in the top slot, some builds in this case I've seen have had success with this, but the cooler has some overlap with the MoBo. Otherwise I will have a juggle and reconfigure the cooling solution, probably going for a 120 AIO instead.

As things stand the CPU will have excellent cooling, and the case will have circa 5 cubic meters of air a minute or just over 8 cubic centimeters a second of positive pressure to get rid of running heat and the GPUs thermal load. Intentions are to run it with the 140mm fans drawing air in from the front, the radiator andf ans blowing out the top,and 120mm fan blowing out from the rear slot.

Finally, intentions with the storage are as follows:- To have the 2 NVMe SSDs with my poor library of AAA games on. The 2TB SSD will have software and less demanding games on. The 250GB SSD will be partitioned for the OS, and the other part configured as a cache drive for the 5TB HDD which will be used for general storage particularly photos, documents, music, and videos. The idea is this should help a lot with speeding up editing work.

I hope that all makes sense, looking forward to seeing what I can do better, or where my understanding of things is a little awry. #everydayisaschoolday

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 3 points

Finally, intentions with the storage are as follows:- To have the 2 NVMe SSDs with my poor library of AAA games on. The 2TB SSD will have software and less demanding games on. The 250GB SSD will be partitioned for the OS, and the other part configured as a cache drive for the 5TB HDD which will be used for general storage particularly photos, documents, music, and videos. The idea is this should help a lot with speeding up editing work.

For getting the best out of modern day storage, you want to place your OS, applications and active workloads/projects on the faster NVME SSD. A single 500GB NVME SSD should suffice. If your workload regularly relies on large content libraries/project asset catalogues or makes use of large active/multiple projects, it would be a good idea to grab a larger 1TB NVME SSD. This also eliminates the need for a dedicated cache repository unit.

SSD's don't necessarily help with gaming performance. At best, the benefit is limited to faster load times which is nice. The MX500 is solid for this purpose. For a little more cash you could update to a cable-less M.2 SATA SSD/M.2 BUDGET NVME SSD but it's not necessary.

For everything else, incl older/least accessed games, stick these on the HD. If you need more storage for this purpose, drop 5TB and grab a 6/8TB, or double up on 5TB.

Something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive £139.97 @ Box Limited
Storage Crucial MX500 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive £187.00 @ Amazon UK
Storage Toshiba X300 5 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £108.69 @ CCL Computers
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £435.66
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-20 21:13 GMT+0000

Feel free to increase the storage capacities or add another M.2 if you like (if needed). Otherwise, use the savings here for a faster 3600Mhz 2x16GB memory, a more robust and better quality PSU + a better quality case to compliment the overall build.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Had a look at my useage and a sit down think, tweaked down the NVMe to 1.5TB, and added a secong 2TB SSd, more than enough memory and all fast for me. I can tweak and add stuff to my hearts content after the build, but this will be more than enough for me for the near future at the very least, and serve my purposes very well.

500GB NVMe for OS and software, 1TB NVME for high use games, a 3TB SSD for storage and media, and an other 2TB for what won't fit on the NVMe storage.

Thank you so much for your input :)

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I would go with DDR4 3600 RAM, a slightly bigger PSU and I am sorry but I do not think adding any number of fans to that case is going to keep your GPU cool. Spend a bit more on either the Fractal Meshify C and the Phanteks P400.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I'll look into the RAM, and after a little enlightenment in an other thread realise I'll get a little more efficiency from a larger PSU. I was looking at the meshify case but like the aesthetics of this one. However in the interests of feedback from above and more heat living in the case, i think it would be better to change to the meshify.

Thanks for your feedback

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I upgraded the CPU and picked an air cooler. I wouldn't recommend watercooling if you're not going for a custom loop. The performance gain with an AIO is minimal and will require more maintenance in the future, so sick with AIR until you have the money to watercool all your components. Changed the M.2 SSDs to P1s just because they're cheaper and offer better performance. My 5700XT is not acting up, but a lot of people are experiencing driver issues, so I'd go with a 2070S. Changed the case to a Meshify C, not really sure why you wouldn't want to go with an ATX tower, added more powerful fans (which will also be quite a lot louder, do note). Besides the PC, I wouldn't recommend Corsair peripherals, mostly because of the mediocre Cherry switches and their lackluster mice. I'd instead go with a Razer Huntsman and a Logitech wireless if you want to go that route.

Have a great one lad

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor £415.50 @ Amazon UK
CPU Cooler CRYORIG H7 49 CFM CPU Cooler £34.99 @ Currys PC World
Motherboard ASRock X570 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard £155.72 @ More Computers
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory £152.38 @ Amazon UK
Storage Crucial BX500 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £21.18 @ Aria PC
Storage Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive £94.49 @ Amazon UK
Storage Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive £94.49 @ Amazon UK
Storage Crucial MX500 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive £187.00 @ Amazon UK
Storage Toshiba X300 5 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £108.69 @ CCL Computers
Video Card MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB VENTUS OC Video Card £449.98 @ Ebuyer
Case Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case £79.99 @ Scan.co.uk
Power Supply be quiet! Straight Power 11 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply £93.69 @ Amazon UK
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit £92.99 @ AWD-IT
Case Fan CRYORIG QF120 Performance 83 CFM 120 mm Fan £12.57 @ Overclockers.co.uk
Case Fan CRYORIG QF140 Performance 128 CFM 140 mm Fan £13.06 @ Amazon UK
Case Fan CRYORIG QF140 Performance 128 CFM 140 mm Fan £13.06 @ Amazon UK
Monitor Samsung LC27JG50QQNZA 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor £273.96 @ Senetic
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Wired Gaming Keyboard £129.96 @ Ebuyer
Custom Corsair Dark Core RGB SE Wireless/Wired Optical Gaming Mouse with Qi Wireless Charging and MM1000 Qi Wireless Charging Mouse Pad, Black £139.98
Custom Killer AX1650x M.2 Notebook Wireless AX Network Card WiFi/BT5 Card £23.99
Custom One enjoy Aluminum M2 Heatsink Cooler for M.2 2280 SSD with Silicone Thermal Pad (10°C - 20°C cooling effect) £12.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £2600.66
  • 1 month ago
  • 2 points

some great stuff here, thanks for pointing out the cheaper NVMe SSDs.

Form factor is because the study it will be going in is small and a compact case can be put just about anywhere i can make room for it. Also hence the quieter fans.

The 2070S and more oompf-y fans are something I'll take a good look at too.

I have spades for hands and prefer larger mouses, so I think I'll keep the darkcore, but will take on what you said about the keyboard. Probably change it up for a Logitech plank.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

just ran some sums on the fan flow rates. Assuming we just run the two 140mm fans to run air into the case and we have a perfect outflow matching the supply from them, then you're displacing enough air every second to fill the case just over 3.6 times! no wonder it would be "a little louder"(tm) hehehe. I realise we would never match this performance, but wow, that seems like a little overkill to me.

I think I'll look as the fan stuff a little more closely myself, but having looked into the Meshify C, it's a much better case and definitely more futureproof, thank you so much for that recommendation, and the GPU looks great too.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Glad I could help!

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks again for the feedback, after a non-trivial shuffle around the setup has changed case and fans, GPU, CPU cooler, storage, PSU, and RAM.

I'm more than happy with the performance the 3700X will give me, but have taken the feedback on RAM onboard, opting for two sticks of corsair vengeance 16GB 3600 RAM.

All in all the changes have knocked on about £40 to the build. Not too shabby.

I guess with the 2070 super this is no longer an AMD build P: On the upside my comfort zone is placated as I am a fan of the Geforce Experience software and how easy it makes my gaming life. The oly changes that could happen are adding a second GPU, and re working the storage solution. That and a PSU upgrade as more stuff gets put in the case too.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube