add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

My Parents Don't Like Gaming

otherworldlynob
  • 1 month ago

I'm looking for some advice.

So I can't actually game because I have a trash laptop. I'm currently a minor and can't get a job, meaning I have to depend on my parents to do that for me. The issue is, my parents don't like gaming. No, money is not a problem, I have some saved up, although not really enough for a decent system. Now even if I do a lemonade stand or whatever like you guys will say, they won't actually let me use my money to buy stuff for gaming. No, I can't buy a console, either. I don't have any way to buy stuff online either.

I wrote my dad a 5 page essay about why he should get me a gaming PC and how everything like that works. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1A3QxJtm9LUl2TxslCc0Peaw8s-br7W2-Jk8c4aq1-Ew/edit?usp=sharing I waited to give it to him. At one point he asked me, "Why don't you make money by doing videos like those people?" I'm like, ah, excellent opportunity, and I brandish my 5 page essay after saying "Let me explain why."

Well, he reads for twenty seconds and then stops and announces it's just an excuse for gaming. Wonderful.

I really have no idea what to do now. I mean, no, I can't buy anything with money I make because they wouldn't let me, so please don't say that like everyone else I've asked. What do you guys think I should you? This really means a lot to me. Anyway, as I stated in the essay, this would also allow me to do programming and stuff. My current specs: i7-8550U @ 2GHz Intel UHD Graphics 620 8GB DDR4-2666MHz RAM This is all packed in my epic trash HP laptop which I place on the arm of a couch and keep my generic Logitech wireless mouse on the arm of the sofa next to it.

Thanks!

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 4 points

Why do they not like you gaming?

Parents generally have a reason for things like this like.

Well you don't do required things like schoolwork, homework, chores as it is. So no you can't spend more time away from those.

Also.

Anyway, as I stated in the essay, this would also allow me to do programming and stuff. My current specs: i7-8550U @ 2GHz Intel UHD Graphics 620 8GB DDR4-2666MHz RAM

You're selling your laptop short.

Plenty of successful Youtubers got their start on lesser hardware then that.

As did many software developers.

Having better hardware doesn't guarantee you'll actually do better it just means you do things faster.

Now granted it's far from ideal but it also isn't going to hold you back from getting started.

I think if you prove to them you can do these things without cutting into necessary tasks with the hardware you already have your parents will be far more receptive to spending some money to help you along.

• 1 month ago
  • 4 points

My current specs: i7-8550U @ 2GHz Intel UHD Graphics 620 8GB DDR4-2666MHz RAM

I currently use a 2015 HP laptop with an amd a8 7410 and a 5400rpm HDD. It crashes when I load google maps. Not saying yours is great, but I would have careful judgement before calling it "trash".

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

minor

parents don't like gaming

You don't have a choice. Trying to write all the reasons you want a powerful gaming PC won't help. Specifically ask them their reasons so you can target those, and you will likely have to compromise in some fashion if you get anywhere at all.

this would also allow me to do programming and stuff

I've seen computer science students do everything on a 5+ year old Macbook. Hobbyists working with nothing but decade old business machines and Raspberry Pis.

i7-8550u laptop

epic trash

This is a lot to unpack. Is it overheating or sounding like a jet engine? Maybe it just needs repasting and dusting. 8GB of RAM goes a lot further than most give credit for, and you could easily look at upgrading to 16GB. The unit itself was probably not cheap; similar units can still cost around $500. Imagine how it looks to your parents when you claim you want a new PC for 'programming' but turn around and call what you have "epic trash" without even trying to do this stuff with it.

As far as gaming, you also aren't giving your laptop enough credit. Esports titles and MMOs can run just fine, and older titles (think Fallout 3) should run at lower settings. Emulators should also run; there are entire Youtube channels dedicated to romhacks and playing old games through emulation. Recording doesn't take too much overhead, and Premiere Pro might not have the nicest experience but will function on that system (although a RAM upgrade would be a good improvement).

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

you parents might think you will spend too many hours on the laptop for gaming which may seem unproductive to them?

try asking for a X hours to game. like 2 hours a day for starters

edit: I actually read your google doc. You clearly have a lack of communication with your parents. I see why your parents only looked at the first 20-30 seconds. Your letter is about 4 pages toooooooooooooo long.

1-cost will be an issue......you need to start at home and do chores for $$ from your parents. This will help out the family and show you can be a responsible person and contributor to the family

2-you should not get to the point that the means to communication with your parents is put it in writing. When was the last time you sat down with your parents at the kitchen table and had a open discussion??

3-I dont see a problem of putting this issue in writing, only if you have no more that 5 "bullet points" that are brief and to the point. Not page after page

Contribute to the family is a starting point, but you should have started this years ago :)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I wrote my dad a 5 page essay about why he should get me a gaming PC and how everything like that works. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1A3QxJtm9LUl2TxslCc0Peaw8s-br7W2-Jk8c4aq1-Ew/edit?usp=sharing I waited to give it to him. At one point he asked me, "Why don't you make money by doing videos like those people?" I'm like, ah, excellent opportunity, and I brandish my 5 page essay after saying "Let me explain why."

Well, he reads for twenty seconds and then stops and announces it's just an excuse for gaming. Wonderful.

I can see why he was turned off from the very beginning.

Your approach lacks consideration towards your father, your parents, and already states how they will respond to you right from the gecko. It even supports their reasoning, in reality why gaming [and even desk jobs with computers + chairs] can be a concern for your eyes [and health from being stationary too long if doing this 8 hours or longer].

You need to acknowledge and understand where they are coming from without disregarding their point of view. Yes you stated some points of view but could have been stated with empathy or a sense of respect and truly see why. "Place yourself in someone else's shoes" without negative assumptions so to say.

And build upon strong points of view for the pros about building a computer versus worried about what is wrong with gaming. And don't go into super details and get straight to the point of what your healthy intentions are. Find a compromise between your parents and yourself with game hours and what days they are suppose to be.

When I was a girl (ages 5~16) I loved video games too much that (arcades and consoles, laptop later on) that I had to keep my end of the deal for doing chores, homework, not play on the weekdays but was allowed to ask permission and most of the time was no but also had some yes. I earned money through chores ($1-$5) and our monthly allowance was $40 back in my days.

Truth be told mine was consoles and arcades since PCs was a very late scenario on my end. My laptop was a Windows XP with a touchpad and goodness there was no such thing as 1GB of storage nor a GB of RAM back in my days. No SSDs either and Hard Drives became better over the years. I used Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Powerpoint, Word and Excel on my old Windows XP laptop which I think was a Dell. Laptops were big and heavy too but I was happy with it. And I had 2 Rainbow Six games on it.

Back to the point, I think you can mention your intentional use for school without sounding too off putting. I know Desktop computers are really nice to come home too but might help to tell your other intentions of uses and not just gaming alone. I get it you want to do some videos too but that wasn't the major problem from the paper your wrote.

Your current laptop is still really good and shouldn't be accused of being trash. You can do plenty of the everyday uses between programming and video editing regardless how slow it might seem. May not be a gaming a computer but you will find enough games out there that will play in bare minimum resolution (720p) or lowest graphics regardless. I think in due time when you figure out a better way to approach it with some understanding and respect towards your parents without sounding lack of then they may reconsider it down the road.

• 1 month ago
  • 0 points

Make an essay "Benefits of gaming compared to watching tv" If youre capable of saving money and cant order online, why not just go to a bestbuy or micro center or something and piece meal it together? Less freedom living with parents. I moved out when I was 17.

Good luck

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube