add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
bwbdawg84
  • 1 month ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FTKmmg

Will the components work/fit together and how good/bad of a build is it? My budget is around $1450 - $1475, any tweaks are welcome and appreciated.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Liquid cooler isn't needed, nor is 32GB RAM

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $309.95 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard $114.99 @ B&H
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory $84.99 @ Amazon
Storage HP EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $129.94 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.99 @ Amazon
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Video Card $499.99 @ Best Buy
Case Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case $59.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Phanteks AMP 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $89.99 @ Newegg
Case Fan ARCTIC P14 PWM 72.8 CFM 140 mm Fan $9.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1359.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-12 20:02 EST-0500
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks!

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

32GB is a lot but this build looks more like a workstation to me.

What are you going to use it for?

Why go with cheap motherboard but 3700x and 32gig of ram?

In this price bracket of cases I would go for more of a open airflow in the front design. Like meshify C or coolermaster h500. Assuming you cut out the AIO. You've still got to cool the GPU.

Have you done research on current driver issues with AMD's 8g lineup. As far as contingency is concerned, I would go for a 570 mobo and nvidia graphics for now. Better vrm and upgrade-ability and overall a higher chance of stability.

These are merely suggestions, theoretically your part's list is fine. I sense you're more interested in performance than aesthetics.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I am just trying to figure out a good build for my first gaming rig. I don't plan on doing much video editing or streaming too much, if at all.

The 32 gigs were recommended by someone else here insisting that playing newer, demanding games would benefit a lot from it. Especially if I had browser tabs or other apps running at the same time.

Same for the case, I initially went with the meshify but was told a full tower case would be best for future upgrades and that the larger size would help airflow. The gpu I initally selected was a evga 2070 super xc gaming, I switched to the thicc iii at the suggestion of the same person.

The mobo I am not married to but it seems pretty popular and was recommended for my original build by a couple people here, specifically paired with the 3700x. The reasoning was that it was less expensive but nearly as good as the higher priced ones.

Were these bad suggestions? Would any of my initial picks be better? Here is the original build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jZ8C4n (Apparently I switched out the mobos before I saved, my original was a MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4)

You nailed it on the head with the performance > aesthetics. In fact, I will go out of my way to avoid rgb and any other unecessary lights and gimmicky flare in general.

Thanks for your help!

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Stay away from that X570 Gaming Egde unless you wish to watch it to melt in front of you. I suppose that will not happen if all you is playing Solitare or Klondike or maybe even a match or 3 of Fortnight. However if you will use Blender or something, you could be in a big,big trouble

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

A bigger case will not help your cooling, within reason that is. Look at gamers nexus case reviews and see how well the lian li dynamic faired versus a meshify c or a cooler master h500. That large case was designed for water cooling but can be used as reference. I don't have a lot of time right now to go into details. The main mono is a bad choice because of weak vrm. The Asus tuf is good budget or a non Wi-Fi I think Prime p.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for getting back to me! I know helping some rando online isn't exactly a priority, so I really do appreciate it. This is what I ended up going with. I took in a lot of advice from a lot of people here but I generally focused on what you said about the mobo and gpu. I haven't gotten much negative feedback in the forum when I submitted it, but if you ever get a chance to look over it, I'm interested in your opinion.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $309.00 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler $48.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard $164.99 @ B&H
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory $74.99 @ Newegg
Storage HP EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $129.93 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.99 @ Amazon
Video Card EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card $509.99 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case $89.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Phanteks AMP 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $105.98 @ Newegg
Total $1503.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-16 01:26 EST-0500

*Note: I already ordered the psu and I actually got it for $98. Also, the 2 case fans were donated by a friend who never actually built the pc he ordered them for, so they were free.

If I never hear back from you, I understand, I'm just curious what you personally think as far as whether or not I did alright for my very first build. Anyway, thanks for the time you have already taken to help me out, you're a saint!

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The average user isn't going to necessarily benefit a lot from the 3700x unless you're doing a lot of video editing/compiling in a workflow environment and then it will only benefit you by having 2 more cores to save you time. The 3700x has a capable cooler and it's not absolutely necessary you exchange it. The 3600 can do the same jobs but not as fast because it doesn't have as many cores. For the average user who isn't video editing 10 hours a day it's completely a non issue and you can still compile or render whatever you desire. The 3600x would be my suggestion for practical use.

As far as gaming goes the answer from Google how many cores do I need for gaming. Answer is 6 and that's going to heavily rely on frequency and ipc as well as game optimization.

Your ram is my second thought. Your choice is fine but the cas latency is 18 at 3600mhz. I suggest you look for some cas 16. For reference 3200mhz cas 16 is very closely comparable to 3600mhz at cas 18. Lower vas timings are very much part of the equation and not just mhz.

Your graphics card choice is a good one but the fans have been reported as loud. It will perform about like any other 2070 super but a 3 fan set up like gigabytes budget offer would be quieter. Some people like the noise of fans revving though bc it makes them feel their card is powerful.

The hdd is also going to be loud with a click noise. This is normal of a physical drive but people say this one is really loud. So keep that in mind.

All in all its just nit picking. It looks like a good build to me. If I had to change one thing it would be the ram, at that price you can find cas 16

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

If you are willing to go a $ or 3 above 1500$ that 3600 you 1st selected,might not be a terrible idea .

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $309.95 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard $114.99 @ B&H
Memory G.Skill Trident Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $147.99 @ Newegg
Storage HP EX950 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $249.99 @ Newegg
Video Card EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card $483.98 @ Newegg
Case be quiet! Pure Base 600 ATX Mid Tower Case $94.90 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA GA 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $72.98 @ Newegg
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1514.78
Mail-in rebates -$40.00
Total $1474.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-13 07:55 EST-0500
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

So it seems pretty unanimous that the AIO needs to go. But shouldn't there be some cooler added? Most reviews I have read say the stock cooler eventually isn't going to be enough.

And is the mid tower better than the full? It seems like it would be more intuitive but this also appears to be unanimous.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Eventually perhaps. Eventually can be a long time. It will be enough for start. This way we were able to maximize the potential of your budget for some things are likely more expensive to upgrade. Like more powerful GPU or something. If it turns out that you hate stock cooler, endure a month or 2 and then get Dark Rock 4 or something.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The reason I switched the casings is to fit the budget. Otherwise I wouldn't.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I really do appreciate everyone's help! I have never owned, let alone built a gaming pc before and I'm honestly terrified I'm about to eff something up. I've been cramming for this like it's a college final. I've only relatively recently learned what most of these components even are.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I know how you feel. Hopefully you will have much better experience than me...

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $309.00 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard $114.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory $144.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $112.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $53.98 @ Newegg
Video Card Asus GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB DUAL EVO OC Video Card $509.99 @ Amazon
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG ATX Mid Tower Case $99.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Phanteks AMP 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $99.99 @ Amazon
Total $1445.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-16 22:37 EST-0500

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube