add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Opinion needed mid tier build

drew8716nc
  • 1 month ago

Building my first PC, upgrading from a low end prebuilt. Building my first PC and want some Input and opinions. I'm pretty much set on the CPU, Case, CPU cooler, and SSD, if anything is better name brand for around the same price I will accept suggestions. I mostly need input on Motherboard, Memory, Video card, and Power Supply. At first I was planning for a $1000 build but then it got a bit higher, so now I'm aiming more for $1250. I do a lot of Gaming but also usually have other programs running along with it, I don't really play any triple A games with the most graphic demanding game I play being Rust. I will mostly have a lot of tabs open and do stuff like look up things related to a certain game while playing it, I chose the case I did since I hate glass cases and the one I chose was very popular. I chose the CPU cooler I did since it's not as expensive as the $150 but not as cheap as the $30, I need a good CPU cooler since my space isn't well ventilated and I get 73 degrees idle on my CPU. Chose a 2700x since I'm not purely doing gaming so I need to use it for other things. I won't do any editing or streaming at all either. Probably the main things I would want input on are the motherboard since there are similar things for around the price range, 16gb memory for similar price range, input on video card since I have about $100 of wiggle room, and power supply since 650 watts could be excessive to some.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cr6t9G

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

It would be useful if you were more specific about your further uses as you eliminated the typical two things that most people are seeking on this forum (streaming/video editing). The 2700x is grea

The cooler is a bit of a pain to fit and more expensive than alternatives that are just as good if not better.

The RAM is OK but the faster to better for Ryzen as you can get a similar looking crucial kit with even tighter timings, this is the best kit around for the price.

Your SSD is great but ... NVME SSDs are pretty much great so spending 60% to 70% more on a Samsung drive make little sense. Crucial, WD, Mushkin, all make perfectly good drives for $100.

If you are worried about airflow, temps etc,, you can't really do better than the Fractal Meshify.

Most of what I'm suggesting should result in savings rather than greater expense and thus, you could probably afford a 2070 Super if you desired it. Or just keep the change!

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $174.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler $59.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard $114.99 @ B&H
Memory Crucial Ballistix RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory $96.99 @ Amazon
Storage Mushkin Enhanced Helix-L 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $99.99 @ Newegg
Video Card MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB VENTUS OC Video Card $489.99 @ B&H
Case Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case $84.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G1+ 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $98.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1220.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-12 13:29 EST-0500
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Doubles your memory since you said a lot of programs open and a much better case. I would try to fit a 2060 Super in if your willing to to spend more.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnGTp8

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I agree with some changes and disagree with others. The main reason that I chose a lot of the parts that I did such as the case for instance, is because of the ratings and the amount of people who have bought it, for the case in the list you provided you provided the case only has 1 review. So for me it's not just the price, I want to look at others reviews to make my decisions, even 12 ratings isn't a ton for me.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The case you picked is a very old case that is why all the reviews at today's standard it's a 50 buck case at best. Look at the reviews their like 4 and 5 years old.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/be-quiet-pure-base-600/

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8100/quiet-pure-base-600-mid-tower-chassis-review/index.html

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/be-quiet-pure-base-600-review,1.html

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

You might want to look at the Fractal Meshify C. You will get great cooling with that case. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Y6Crxr/fractal-design-meshify-c-atx-mid-tower-case-fd-ca-mesh-c-bko-tg

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

(oops thought i had submitted the post already - it just sat there collecting dust)

For your specific requirements, the 2700X looks to be an excellent road-worthy choice.

Although I have to admit, 73c @ idle seems more like a non-idle condition (check task manager processes) or hardware concern (poorer quality or loosely mounted cooler, weak/cracked paste, not enough air-pull/push, choked case, etc). You might want to download a monitoring tool to check for voltage overrides and clockspeed scalability too.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I definitely agree with the gpu, and storage, I also switched to a 32gb ram just for the better use. I kind of want to stick with the cooler I chose since it’s somewhat newer compared to a lot of older ones, and has a lot of reviews so it’s reputable. Kind of on the fence about about the PSu, could you explain how it’s a bit better than the one I chose please. I’m kinda thinking about the case and on the fence about that too because of the front. Could you let me know if my parts like the motherboard are still par with a 32gb of a ram and if the ram I chose is any decent or if I should go a bit higher

Ram: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kXbkcf/gskill-memory-f43200c16d32gvk

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I kind of want to stick with the cooler I chose since it’s somewhat newer compared to a lot of older ones

Fair play! The DRP4 is a fantastic cooler hence no complaints here :)

I also switched to a 32gb ram just for the better use.

You don't 'need' 32GB of RAM for simultaneous gaming and browsing (or other lesser multi-tasked memory intense workloads). Although, considering RAM is more affordable nowadays it does make for a decent investment for forthcoming possibilities. Nothing wrong with spending a little more to double up but it's down to user preference and not an 'absolute requirement'.

Ram: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kXbkcf/gskill-memory-f43200c16d32gvk

These sticks will do the job. Just keep in mind, these sticks carry a height @ 42mm and at stock the coolers pre-installed 120mm fan offers RAM clearance @ 40mm. The cooler fan is adjustable and will require a little lift to clear the sticks (compatible!).

Could you let me know if my parts like the motherboard are still par with a 32gb of a ram

No problems, the board is capable of running 64 gigs.

I’m kinda thinking about the case and on the fence about that too because of the front.

The front is where all the magic occurs. May not be everyone's cup of tea with the design language but with a full mesh front + case intake fans you can expect better cooling performance. Essentially, higher volumes of cooler air pulled from the outside, through the front mesh and directly towards the cooler = best performance! There are other case options with a similar front mesh design, if interested. The reason for recommending this case (or similar) is the ambient temp concerns highlighted in your initial post. I should also add, with cooling maximisation in mind, the Meshify C is one of my all-time favourite cases and does a pretty fine and dandy job for the asking price.

Kind of on the fence about about the PSu, could you explain how it’s a bit better than the one I chose please.

Both the G2 and G3 units from EVGA are 'good' units and will get the job done regardless of what I or anyone else suggests. Also, fully compatible with your build with no real concerns of failure or performance degradation with high risks. You're already in good hands.

Whether you can do better with the same amount of spend is where the following may be of use:

• The G3 model is technically a G2 unit (EVGAs previous model), but trimmed down a little to achieve a smaller footprint. Not sure exactly why EVGA chose to introduce the G3 with a reduced form factor from an already decent performing standard sized G2. I'm guessing either to cut cost or maybe making things easier for case builders when managing cables in tighter spots (i.e. under PSU shrouds, other obstacle clearance, etc). Nah, i'm sticking with cutting costs as all standard units are more than workable in those close knit environments.

• Going small comes at a cost. The G2 was known to be more audible compared to some of the other finer units. The G3 was forced to deploy a smaller and louder fan, which for me was a deal-breaker. In fact, at first I had assumed some fault in the fan bearing or maybe some hindrance. Silly me, I RMA'd the bugger in pursuit of a remedy and should have checked user feedback/reviews first. I guess the G2 success put the G3 in high hopes. The replacement was far from remedial, it was what it was, an invasively loud fan. Unfortunate for my brother, who was loaned my G2, was surprised with a G3 unit locked in his rig lol... doesn't matter his gaming build runs loud anyway and he wears headphones so makes no difference to him.

• Later released in-depth reviews also highlighted other cut backs. The G3 lost some of it's better efficiency banding which was maintained on the G2 model and a couple other protection feature snags. These issues for the vast majority of buyers is of no real concern as these benched/stressed reviews are conducted in the most volatile and synthetically load-intensive runs. Not the the type of environment users (or gamers) are expected to advance on.

• Another aspect, in my experience, is the poorly addressed eco-mode (EVGAs thermal control mechanism which keeps the fan idling on lower/moderate power consumption/workloads). Both of my landed G3 models didn't kick in quick enough whilst under-load and I could literally sense things getting a little too hot for my liking (on idle-state). This was realised by placing my hands over the rear exhaust vent. The G2, when tested in the same manner, proved more effective with the fan kicking in with immediate effect. I haven't seen any user/review complaints in the same regard hence it's possible newer G3 batches may have ironed out certain inconsistencies (or i haven't bothered to check since reverting back to G2). I have the bros G3 running all the time with the eco-mode switched off.

• In 2017 and early 2018, what gave virtue to the G2/G3 models was the really well-received competitive pricing - which is one of the reasons the G3 gained popularity. Even I was willing to look past some of the finer units to save some cash. Both units were £30/more cheaper than the RMx/TXm/Seasonic Gold Plus/etc. The competitive cost alone was enough to drive massive sales and a huge boost in user satisfaction. Here in 2020, that is no longer the case. I wouldn't mind throwing a $100+ @ the G2 but the G3, nah, it's overpriced IMO!! Earlier competitively priced success has paid off for EVGA and a hot selling product with good reviews is a perfect business opportunity to raise profit margins.

Bottom line: i'm not so fussed with most of the above but the G3's noise-levels alone is a massive deal breaker for me. The G3 is still a decent unit but in my opinion for $109 you can do better!

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Ok so here's my part list so far, everything is pretty much final, I just have have to pick out another case fan for added airflow. I opted to get corsair ram sticks just for added looks and didn't have any reported quality issues or compatibility issues that came with some of the G.skill ones, plus it's smaller and has lights, and it has way more recent reviews. Also how do you check how large a ram stick is in length? Edit: I'm also still looking for Wifi Adapters if you have any recommendations.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WDz3gJ

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/C92ddm

This mobo has better everything, and WiFi for 10 bucks. Better RAM, I use it myself and it runs well. Upgrade to 32 later if you want. Use stock cooler to save more, you can’t OC Ryzen very well(compared to Intel). The psu is fine, get a 5700 XT also to save. Only if you can deal with the drivers though.

(Edit) I personally run many of the things here, I have that MOBO, cpu cooler, RAM, case, and M.2. It all works perfectly well!

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Main thing is that the motherboard you provided has WiFi, I want to get a wireless adapter since built in WiFi doesn’t perform as well. I also am solid on the idea of 32gb, just will perform better overall for multitasking. Stock cooler isn’t great for me with overheating issues I always have, aftermarket one would serve me better.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I just have have to pick out another case fan for added airflow.

The case comes with 2 fans pre-installed. For best/balanced airflow performance, you'll want 2 more fans. The arrangement being: x2 for exhaust (top and rear) and x2 for intake (on the front).

There's a ton of fan options to choose from but if you're looking for something that's just decent and affordable, these 140mm, PWM and acceptable acoustic range options work well:

or if you fancy case fans which somewhat resemble the cooler fans (or same brand/aesthetic), for a little extra:

I opted to get corsair ram sticks just for added looks and didn't have any reported quality issues or compatibility issues that came with some of the G.skill ones, plus it's smaller and has lights, and it has way more recent reviews. Also how do you check how large a ram stick is in length?

Length doesn't matter as all modules are within measure/compatibility. RAM height is only of concern when using these larger beefed up coolers which extend over the memory dimm slots and can clash with taller memory sticks. The Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (height: 51mm) is actually taller than the G.Skill Vengeance V series (42mm). I would advise against going taller as you might run into problems. The cooler fan is adjustable to accommodate some additional clearance but 51mm is concerning.

With a closed off case (plain side panel) and a towering cooler which ultimately overshadows the memory sticks, I wouldn't bother with RGB or some of the fancier looking units. You'd be better off just grabbing a lesser towering kit with the likes of:

or

I'm also still looking for Wifi Adapters if you have any recommendations.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/tTdqqs/gigabyte-wireless-network-card-gcwb867di

or even better, you could opt for a mobo with integrated WIFI (comes with antennas included):

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

One PSU Option would be the Phanteks AMP 650W for $100 (it's based on the 2019 Seasonic Focus, the better model)

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube