add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Buying a Graphics Card This Week (US)

hardmetal1
  • 1 month ago

So I want to buy a GTX 1660 ti and pair it with a ryzen 5 or ryzen 7 2700x. Could I buy a used 1660ti to save a few bucks? That's what I wanted to do. This will be my first build so I'll eventually upgrade.

Just to give you an idea of my uses, I'll list my games I have on steam and the ones I plan on buying.

Steam Games I have: MW2, GTA 5, Ring of Elysium, PUBG, Warface, CS GO

Games I have on my wishlist: DayZ, Rocket Leauge, Friday the 13th, Rust, Wreckfest Can it handle streaming & recording.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

If it's $250 or more, then just get the 1660S instead.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Why not get a 1660 Super? (performance is similar to the TI, for less money)

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor $164.49 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $88.98 @ Newegg
Memory *G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $64.99 @ Newegg
Storage HP EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $129.94 @ Amazon
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6 GB DUAL EVO OC Video Card $229.99 @ Newegg
Case Thermaltake Versa H18 MicroATX Mini Tower Case $54.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $69.98 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $803.36
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-09 19:32 EST-0500
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Why not get HP EX950 instead? It's just 10$ more and it rivals 970 Evo in speed, if not in features.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Difference won't be that noticeable, to most users, plus the OP did not state a budget.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

True,but per that logic nearly any modern SSD is good enough for pure gaming(and it is in 99% of cases)and Crucial MX500 is 99$. I see you point though. Still 10$ more isn't really that much in most cases.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Doesn't matter the budget but the build you got up is cool.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I might go with the super then.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Gonna buy the 1660 super on Friday. Does it have to be Asus or it can be any brand?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Any brand should do, but the ASUS is the cheapest model available, with the highest boost clock.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

What does the boost clock do?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Doesn't have to be, but I'd suggest getting it as it has a high boost clock of 1860 (vs only 1700 for the lower end versions)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Ok, what does the boost clock do?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

It’s how high the GPU is capable of performing at. The higher the boost clock, the higher the GPU can “boost” it’s maximum performance without actually overclocking it.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

What happens when you overclock it? Is it good or bad?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I've been doing some research and I heard its recommend that you should get a cooler for the CPU? Do you have any coolers that you could recommend?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The 2700Xs stock cooler is OK, so you shouldn't need to buy one (unless noise and thermals are not to your liking)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

What if my room is hot during the summer? Can it handle that?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

It should be OK.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Ok

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I agree with the above two comments - 1660 SUPER all the way. It's a newer release and trails the TI variant by a very tiny performance margin. I'd prefer a fresh warranty and a clean out of the box experience opposed to going the used route hence the 1660 super would be right up my alley.

For these types of games, the 2600X/2700X are valid options. If you can cop out a little more cash, preferably a faster single threaded Ryzen 3600/3600X.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Sounds good. I might go with the super then.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Gonna buy the 1660 super on Friday. Does it have to be Asus or it can be any brand?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I wouldn't worry so much about custom branding as all of these second-phase manufactures/tweakers use the same Nvidia (primary brand) reference architecture. Alongside ASUS, there are several other partner brands which produce excellent end-products, with the likes of EVGA, MSI, GIGABYTE, ZOTAC, etc. What you can expect from partner cards is slightly better cooling, improved components/factory overclocking with slightly nippier performance and accordingly, optimised power delivery. Most of these 1660 super cards from partner brands are similar in design and performance hence a difficult task in determining which is best. I would look to user feedback for some added confidence!

I'm familiar with the following 2 models (through recent builds + tested/benched). Both are fantastic:

ZOTAC: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/sFZzK8/zotac-geforce-gtx-1660-super-6-gb-gaming-amp-video-card-zt-t16620d-10m

EVGA: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/GzPgXL/evga-geforce-gtx-1660-super-6-gb-sc-ultra-gaming-video-card-06g-p4-1068-kr

If you prefer ASUS, this one seems equally favourable with plenty of SOLID reviews:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CH4BD3/asus-geforce-gtx-1660-super-6-gb-tuf-gaming-oc-video-card-tuf-gtx1660s-o6g-gaming

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

another NEW 1660 super vote

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube