add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Looking for Tips on List

thebigspence
  • 1 month ago

So based on the list here, I made a change to the SSD recommendation based on one of the comments at the bottom:

"I still recommend everyone use a 1tb M.2 NVMe SSD as a boot drive. It's only ~10% more expensive, but 3-6x faster. That extra $15 is game-changing over the years."

So now the build looks like this. However, I'm not really understanding this second part of the comment:

"this OLOy Ram has CAS 16-18-18 timing, which is very slow at 3200mhz. This build would achieve 2-5% fps in some games by dropping to a 16gb kit at 14-14-14 CAS timings, which would also leave headroom for a 3600mhz overclock at 16-16-16 for even better performance. It's 2020, timings are starting to matter for CPU performance, and you won't be using more than 16gb in gaming until a while after DDr5 is standard anyway"

1. I think I vaguely understand what this is talking about, but does it really matter for the build? Don't need a full explanation, but just want to get to the root of what it is.

2. Is there a different ram I should go with at a similar price point that would alleviate this issue, or is it not fixable until a much higher bracket?

3. Do I need anything else? Is the cooling sufficient, or do I need a case fan as well? Do I need any stuff like thermal paste, etc.?

4. Will I be able to gradually upgrade parts going into the future? It won't be a concern for at least the next several years, so this isn't as important as my other questions.

I've never built a PC before. I know a decent amount about software, but nothing at all about hardware. I also don't quite know how to put this all together - I'm new to this site and couldn't find a resource that tells you how to put it together, per se. Thus, anything at all you can provide as additional info would be a massive help.

I was recommended to this site by a friend who made a PC on here. Unfortunately, he now lives in a remote location and can't help me with the assembly and questions like these.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

do not worry about the RAM part. you can even overclock your RAM to have tighter memory timings typically.

i would recommend buying some thermal paste, the pre-applied stuff is typically okay but you never want to wait for thermal paste to ship, when you need it now. Arctic MX-4 is great and will last a long time.

You put together a GREAT build, it will last a long time. as far as upgrading in the future, it will be in the form of a new motherboard entirely. the 1151 socket is over, so the only possible better chip you can upgrade to on this platform is the 9900k.

• i recommend getting the corsair h100i to link it with icue, the corsair software that you'll use for the case with the included fan hub.
  • i recommend getting a single 120MM fan to mount as an exhaust at the back of the PC, a ML120 RGB would really tie the whole case together.
  • switched to 9700kf to save a chunk of $ Also, if you are only gaming, you need no more than 16gb of ram. However, i revised your kits to a 3000mhz kit without heat spreaders, because the case you selected will not fit with RAM kits that are too tall from heat spreaders.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-9700KF 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $369.99 @ B&H
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $157.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard *ASRock Z390 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $114.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Aegis 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $119.99 @ Amazon
Storage Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $139.99 @ Amazon
Storage *Toshiba X300 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $103.35 @ Amazon
Video Card Zotac GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB GAMING AMP Video Card $652.63 @ Amazon
Case Corsair iCUE 465X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case $139.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply *EVGA 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $115.90 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $99.99 @ B&H
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $2014.81
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-07 23:49 EST-0500
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Whether you go Ryzen or Intel, by the time you will have any upgrade needs, there will be new platforms anyways. You'll have plenty of storage expansion available, though

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Hey - Just saw this reply. I really like the changes you made and thanks so much for explaining everything.

So just to clarify, the only thing not already on this list yet, besides the thermal paste, is the single 120mm fan right? I found that and the paste on amazon so I think it's good to go.

I'll probably purchase the parts in a couple weeks. Can't wait! Thanks again for your help

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yes, I'd recommend getting one more case fan for a rear exhaust. If you want RGB, I'd recommend getting either an ML 120 or LL 120 from Corsair to sync up with the iCue software.

Good luck with the build! I definitely wanna see it when you complete it, I'm glad you liked my input. I actually own the smaller version of that case, and the same AIO cooler, love mine!

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The two main measures of memory speed are the transfer rate, 3200 or 3600 MT/s for instance, and the various delays before the memory can respond, which are the latencies listed in clock ticks.

The effects of memory speeds and latencies are very strongly program dependent. Most game engines seem to not be very sensitive. I wouldn’t pay a lot for lower latency 3200 MT/s memory; going up a notch to 3600 might be worth a few bucks. Generally, I wouldn’t worry about it.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply - that's good to know. As far as AMD goes, could you tell me the benefits of that over this? I've only used nvidia products before and don't know any pros/cons. I guess I wouldn't have any qualms about going that route beyond that I don't know anything

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Oh great - I was just going through AMD build equivalents and this looks awesome.

I think I'll mull this over for a bit but this seems like the way to go from here. Thank you so much for your help!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube