add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Samsung 970 Evo plus m.2

phantom1421
  • 4 months ago

My Samsung NVME drive has been running at 60-65 C and I'm unsure if that's okay for it. I have an MSI x570 Meg Ace which has its own heatsink but whenever I play video games (not installed on this hard drive) I notice the temperature of the Samsung drive gets to that range, is this safe? Should I likey get better thermal pads to improve heat dissapation? Any ideas would be helpful.

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 3 points

Makes me wonder what the drive is doing that is making it that warm; or is the case ambient that high where the drive is mounted? If it's the latter, better heat conduction from the drive won't help. I suggest trying to dig into root causes a bit deeper before you take action. e.g. a drive activity monitor to see if it's actually busy.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Any recommendations for drive activity monitors I can run?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Not unless you're running linux - I'm not familiar enough with WIndows to say.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

The temps shouldn't be that high unless you're actively using that drive. I'd check the contact between the heatsink and the drive, and as far as safe you won't fry your drive, it'll start to throttle before that point.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

It should idle in the mid/low 30°s and yes it will go up to over 70 when in heavy use. It should not go high enough to cause damage as the drive will throttle itself based on the temperature. So if you can reduce the temperature through fans/heatsink etc. you can achieve 2 things. 1) Potential longer life due to operating cooler and 2) Potential faster speeds as you won't hit the throttle limits as easy.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

if it reaches 70c the drive will just throttle to lower the temps.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Most SSDs implement thermal throttling as a safety feature if a drive gets too hot. The closer your drives gets to the 70ºC limit that most manufacturers have, the more likely it is that the drive will start slowing down to prevent itself from failing.

Just look it up ;)

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

The 970 EVO is equipped with Dynamic Thermal Guard. aka thermal throttle..

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube