add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Front-mounted radiator exhaust?

mraynack
  • 1 month ago

I bought a Fractal Design Define R6 case, and a Fractal Design Celsius S24 cooler. The case came with three 140 mm fans, two of which are front intake and one is rear exhaust. The cooler comes with two 120 mm fans.

Currently, the 140 mm fan in the back of the PC would remain as exhaust, and I was thinking about mounting the two 140 mm front intake fans on the bottom of the case to intake air from underneath the case while using the two 120 mm fans included with the cooler as exhaust through the front.

The logic behind this is it won't blow the hot air from the radiator back onto the GPU and heat up the case, but there will still be ample air coming in through the bottom of the case. I'm hoping to avoid putting the radiator up top, as I usually have a microphone sit on top of the case.

Has anyone tried a setup similar to this, or reasons why I should/should not use this arrangement?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

In a well ventilated case such as the R6 the heat from a GPU or CPU wont have any more effect than a couple of degrees at most. Not something I would worry about as long as the inside air is being cycled through the case quickly.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

What about if I decide to overclock?

Some of what I have read or seen about front intakes indicates that front intake will warm the case, and the GPU (Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Super) performance could be throttled as a result. The radiator and front fans will be closer to the top of the front, while the bottom fans are taking up the front 2/3 of the case.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

With enough airflow you can get the air in the case replaced every couple of seconds with air from the outside. In that situation any heat dumped into the case will be out of the case very quickly so then it becomes a non issue. However I like to abide by more air in than out and all air intakes to be dust filtered.

As for the idea that heat rises that is true when there are no forces acting on the air, fans even at low RPM overpowers any kind of effect from convection. If you want to do 2 fan intakes at the bottom, 1 fan exhaust in the back (non filtered so will make a bad intake) and 2 front exhaust then you may end up with a bit of a pressure negative setup. You may want to add a top fan intake too. As the front will become exhaust then you can remove the dust filter from the front. Now I don't see a good way to add 2x 140mm fans in the bottom due to the PSU shroud but you may be able to get 1 down there and add the rest to the top.

Having an intake at the bottom where it blows on the GPU is great for GPU temps TBH. The GPU may still heat up the air before it goes through the CPU radiator but with 3 fans in and 3 fans out the GPU won't have much time to heat up the air that much to make a difference over a couple of degrees. Even if you overclock this is ample airflow and there are many cases that wish they could get this kind of flow. Not sure what CPU you are using though.

• 27 days ago
  • 1 point

The current arrangement has four fans in (two bottom, two front), one out (one rear); the PSU shroud is vented and allows for airflow from the two bottom fans. I know there might be some negative pressure if I elect to go the course of two in from the bottom and three out from the front/rear, but my concern is that the other components would heat up and airflow might be restricted in the future if I add an additional GPU.

The processor I went with is an i7-9700K.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Mount it up top blowing out if you can you can set a microphone anywhere.

I never like blowing warm air into the case.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Kyle, from Bitwit on YouTube, posted a video a couple years ago about radiator placement in a build (in this case front mounted vs. top mounted) and tested temperatures of the CPU and GPU under load with different configurations (radiator placement as well as GPU type [open shroud vs. blower style]). I linked it below for reference if you want to check it out. His final findings are around the 12 minute mark. But he did find that the placement impacted the CPU noticeably while the GPU remained largely unaffected (change of 2°C or so).

(https://youtu.be/xNAMxZgvves)

Also, good luck with your build. :)

• 27 days ago
  • 2 points

I stumbled across this video while searching for instances where people have done front mounted exhaust, and it was a big factor in my decision to front mount the fans and radiator. I haven't seen a lot of articles or videos that definitely (with numbers) say whether or not it's a good idea to arrange the fans in the manner I'm inquiring about.

I appreciate the suggestion all the same!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube