add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What should I upgrade my CPU to?

crichardson26
  • 2 months ago

At the moment I have a i5-8400 and a gtx 1070. I play destiny 2 and recently got a 144hz monitor but am struggling to keep a consistent 144+FPS. People are telling me that my CPU is lacking. What would be a good upgrade? I have a z370 mobo so I can also put in 9000 series chips. All responses are appreciated.

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

If this is your build it would be a good idea to go for a memory upgrade first.

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/GvsZxr

1x8gb will have you both capacity limited and running single channel mode which hits the minimum frame rates.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

This makes me wonder what the resolution is of the new monitor. 3GB 1060 might run into VRAM issues at 1440p. The single channel memory and only 8GB of it is painful too.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

For that title 3gb was fine for 1440p@60fps at launch.

But it has underwent a platform switch including DRM change so that might be up un the air now.

Memory though is likely to be an issue with minimum frame rates.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

It’s a 1080p monitor

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Forgot to mention I upgraded to 16gbs a month ago

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay thats better.

Have you tried lowering settings to ensure it's the CPU holding you back and not the graphics card?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea, it’s the cpu. Lowered all the fps eaters to off/lowest

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

You would have to make sure the motherboards BIOS has been updated, but you could run a I7 9700k if you wanted to.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

9700k assuming decent motherboard and cooler for overclocking would be an excellent upgrade.

• 2 months ago
  • 0 points

I think the 9700k is about 250-300ish, personally for that budget I would go with a Ryzen set.

3600+x570 is about $350

2600 + b450 is about $250ish

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I’m Canadian so the 9700k is around 500$ and I don’t wanna go Ryzen as I don’t want to change my mobo

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Unfortunately, if you want to reuse your motherboard the next steps up that would provide a noticeable difference are a 9700k or used 8700k.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

And a Used 8700k is still nearly $400 more than likely for Canada.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I’ll wait for an 8700k or an 9700k to go on sale then. Would the non k variants be fine as well? Or the 9700f as it’s only around 400$?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

9700F would also work.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

theres a i5 9600kf sale at a store near me for $150 less then the i7 9700f. Will that suffice?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube