add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

My friend wants a 780 ti

MrWhiteMacaroon

65 months ago

My friend is new to PC gaming, so he doesn't know too many things like screen tearing and stuff along that line. We have the same monitors and same exact graphics card. I notice screen tearing, but he doesn't know how it looks like. We both have an 770 and in most games it's pretty powerful. This is all 1080p gaming and we have a 60Hz monitor, he wants the card so he can get over 120 frames in most games and I keep trying so hard to explain to him that it doesn't work like that. Can someone put it in a language for this person to understand and not to waste money on something he will not use to his full advantage. He would not buy a 120 Hz monitor or a 1440p monitor because he doesn't know what that is. Just help me talk him out of it.

Comments

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

If he's into cars then tell him its like wheel spin, if not then uhhh, well that just came to me when I read it.

What games does he play because I have a 780 ti with 144hz monitor and half the games I play don't go over 80fps.

Have you showed him a video of screen tears?

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

We mostly play source games, but some other non-source games go over the refresh rate of the monitor, so he would get screen tear but he won't notice. I found videos and screenshots and he still believes that it doesn't exist. I offered to go to his house personally to show him. But I do know that Payday 2 is really bad with screen tear, I told him to get.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

It sounds like he doesn't understand what "frames per second" means. Try:

"Your monitor is physically limited to 60 frames per second maximum. Thus, it doesn't matter if you try to send it 120 frames with your graphics card; it will only show at most 60." Not completely technically accurate but hopefully he'll get it.

Given that "frames-per-second" is self-explanatory and googleable, I think it might be hopeless to persuade him otherwise if that doesn't get the point across.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Believe me, I tried what everyone has said in this forum, he just won't listen. I'm trying to save him from wasting a whole lot of money from this. He also plays a lot of Arma 2 and DayZ, and I told him that those games are not optimize and that he may get the same performance as a 770 or maybe even lower.

• 65 months ago
  • 0 points

Tell him that 60hz monitor cant display more than 60 frames per second and it doesn't matter if your computer can produce 120 or 200 frames, monitor wont display more than 60. Human eye cant really see more than 60 frames a second anyway, but lets not get into that discussion.

Why does he even want 120 frames ingames, tell him to stop watching 10 year old games played as esport... as thats where this obsession about 120mhz monitors came about.

I feel like people have this obsession with screen tearing, its very rare and usually it isnt screen tearing in the first place( card overheating, game bugs out, doesnt load properly and so on ). I been playing for so long yet i never really had it, i have to Google everytime to figure out what people mean by that.

Maybe what your friend really wants is anti flicker screen. Thats what i wanted when i got my first lcd monitor. Which was ages ago but i dont know anything about your friend. What i mean by flickering its those small white/colored dots you can see on every lcd monitor.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Two people I know with high frequency monitors say they look slightly smoother in-game than 60 Hz, but after 70 or so Hz it makes no difference. And both agree that it isn't worth the color loss. So while there is a small difference, it isn't worth the trade-off at this time.

First-person shooter gaming on a non-IPS at 120 Hz is like racing a Yaris with a supercharger.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

I can definitely tell the difference between a 60 and 120hz monitor, and screen tearing can happen anytime the framerate goes over the refresh rate of the monitor.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Can you tell the difference between 70Hz and 120Hz? What about 90 Hz and 120 Hz?

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

70 to 120 is like 45 to 60, 90 to 120 is slightly noticeable, and 110-120 isn't noticeable unless I really look at it.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

If he can't see a screen tear, then I highly doubt that he would notice the difference of 60 to 120Hz monitors.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube