add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Thermal Paste help

StrallTech

1 month ago

So is there any real difference between brands for thermal paste or is it good to just get any kind?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

You should get some with the cooler, that's usually fine.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Would it be with the stock air cooler that comes with the CPU?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Sure, there's usually some pre applied to stock coolers.

For your build, personally, I would skip the rgb fans initially so you can get a better gpu.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

From half decent thermal paste to the absolute top of the line stuff you will have a temp difference of 1-3c on the CPU. If you have a somewhat decent or better CPU cooler it would almost always come with adequate thermal paste to do the job.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Are you talking the stock cooler that comes with the CPU?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Stock coolers come with thermal paste that is good enough. Spending $20 on the top of the line thermal paste to make it perform "better" is a waste as buying a $20 aftermarket cooler would outperform it by a long shot. You may get 3c better temps using top of the line thermal paste on a stock cooler and negligible difference with lower cost paste. The money is better spent elsewhere.

If you are already buying an aftermarket cooler and get a good one it will come with good quality thermal paste by default. I would not actually by thermal paste unless I need to replace thermal paste on something and don't have any on hand.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yes. and Yes.

Some pastes are provably better than others, and the difference is not quite in the noise but almost.

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut has consistently won comparison tests, by a degree or two, which is almost negligible. I use Kryonaut but if someone handed me a tube of Noctua, Arctic, Gelid, Prolimatech, or known-brand-X paste, I'd use it, be happy, and not look back.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube