add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Leaky liquid cooler

ukeklele

3 months ago

Hi guys,

Has anyone ever experienced any leaky liquid cooler? I found a little puddle on top my of my VGA, just near where pipe is. At first my PC wouldn't turn on, so i plugged off all cords, wiped the liquid, then I used a small fan to dry it overnight. Lucky for me it worked! Now I'm looking to what might be the cause and how to prevent it in the future. Could it be because it over-heated? but i haven't used my PC for 2 days straight. Though the weather is kinda hot lately. I use "Deepcool Maelstrom 120T 83.64 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler". So if anyone has any ideas, please let me know! thanks!

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

If it is under warranty then RMA it if not then get a new cooler. A budget 120mm fan tower cooler is likely going to out perform it and not cost a lot.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

If you can't get the cooler serviced/replaced under the manufacturer warranty and need to buy another cooler then I would recommend the following cooler as a replacement. Assuming your PC case can hold a 155mm tower cooler:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hJFPxr/deepcool-cpu-cooler-gammaxx400

Can get it for ~$20 USD at the moment and it has some awesome performance when compared to 120mm AIO coolers. If you can get your current cooler replaced/repaired under warranty you can either use that or sell it and get the tower cooler anyhow. I see you have a completed build that has a Corsair SPEC-ALPHA case and if that is the case you are using the tower cooler will fit. Also you have a locked i5 CPU so that tower cooler is still going to be overkill for your cooling needs.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 3 months ago
  • 1 point

aios r dumb

There are pros and cons between both AIOs and air coolers so they are not inherently dumb. Generally 120mm AIOs offer a poor price to performance as a $20 tower cooler can outperform one but let's say you have a Cooler Master Elite 130 PC case and need a bit stronger cooling than the stock cooler or a super low profile air cooler. A 120mm AIO would actually be the best performing cooler in that setup as said $20 tower cooler cannot fit.

As for larger cases that have the room 240mm or larger AIOs do perform well enough for high end CPUs and people do love the aesthetics of them. You will be paying a premium fee to get a well built one but it is not wrong to spend extra money on aesthetics as long as the PC actually works in the end. Another example is that people buy RGB stuff for their builds all the time and that does not add any performance at all. That is their choice.

Air cooler downfalls is that they tend to take up more room so you would need a case that can accommodate the added girth. Also if a PC needs to be shipped having a Noctua NH-D15 could be disastrous where the weight of the cooler on the motherboard can cause damage with the PC bouncing around in shipping. AIOs does a much better job with this need. Now there are air coolers that show up the higher end AIOs in raw performance and also make less noise. Also with no pump there is less that can possibly break down on an air cooler. Price to performance is another good aspect of air coolers so if the cons don't matter to you then air coolers are something to seriously consider.

Now with all that being said I do prefer having air coolers myself. I even got the Dark Rock Pro 3 for my main rig too and I can't get my 8c16t CPU to hit 60c under max load.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry guys, been away recently. First of all, i think my cooler isn't under warranty anymore. It has been 3 years since i bought it.

I've decided to not go for liquid cooling anymore. Its just not worth the risk. My VGA was sitting right under the tube. I'm still praying that my VGA won't get affected.

The problem with my cooling issue isn't the PC itself. I live in an area where during summer the temperature can reach up to 43degree (celcius). My cooler always make noises during summer. That's why i'm gonna try my luck on air cooler right now. I don't mind spending a little bit more money. I need recommendation for good air cooler that can perform as good as liquid cooler, but with no risk ofc! Thanks!

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I live in an area where during summer the temperature can reach up to 43degree (celcius). My cooler always make noises during summer. That's why i'm gonna try my luck on air cooler right now. I don't mind spending a little bit more money. I need recommendation for good air cooler that can perform as good as liquid cooler, but with no risk ofc! Thanks!

Yeah I would suggest this cooler:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hJFPxr/deepcool-cpu-cooler-gammaxx400

Liquid coolers are not automatically better performers because they use liquid, they still have to deal with thermal dynamics and the biggest bottleneck in heat transfer is actually the air. Both heat sinks and AIOs needs to get the heat to the air and for AIOs it is done at the radiator. The surface area of the fins with the air blowing through it is how heat is transferred to the air and that rate it can transfer is the biggest limiting factor. Water can hold a lot of heat but unless you get the heat out of the water it will keep heating up. With an air cooler it uses heat pipes to move the heat to the fins and then the same process takes place from the fins to the air. The more surface area and air to make contact the faster the heat is expelled from the cooler. 120mm AIOs do not have a ton of surface area for their size which is why tower coolers like the Gammaxx 400 can outperform them cooling wise. There are air coolers out there that outperform the larger water coolers too such as the Noctua NH-D15, NH-u12a, Dark Rock pro 3/4, etc.

Here is hoping your video card is fine. Though considering you have a locked 4 core CPU from Intel it does not generate much heat to start with and for most people the stock cooler that comes with it is enough to keep it within the safe temps. You on the other hand have some really hot summers you have to contend with so I would agree in the value of an aftermarket cooler. A decent budget tower cooler should be ample. Though those ambient temps I would hate, I would be less worried about my PC and more worried about myself not getting heat stroke lol.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

My VGA is broken bro.......... I decided to buy a RX 580, keep using my i5-6500, but I'm thinking to replace my MoBo (currently using B150)... any suggestion for MoBo?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

For that platform and CPU I would not even bother replacing the motherboard. Basically the i5-6500 still is a decent CPU today but in 1-2 years with how games are progressing you may want to upgrade to a 6 to 8 core CPU and when you do you will still have to buy a new motherboard again at that time. If your current motherboard is working then it would be a horrible value with no increase in performance. Performance is still tied primarily into CPU+GPU performance.

Sorry to hear your old GPU was damaged from your leak too.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube