add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Desktop Upgrades or a New Laptop for College?

ShrekAndSanic
  • 4 months ago

I start college in a couple months, and don’t know whether it would be wise to spend some of the money I have saved up on desktop upgrades (mostly a new GPU and a new monitor), or to get a new laptop. It seems silly to ask considering I’ll be going into a computer science major, but I don’t want to feel like I wasted my money on something that isn’t all too useful for what will come. I don’t plan on staying in a dorm either if that helps any with this.

(Edit) Probably should've added more information about what I'm looking for and not leave the description be a little vague. Currently leaning towards a new laptop, and mostly looking for something that's great on performance and battery life that's around ~$800-1000 at most, but could stretch the budget a little bit.

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Well it would help to know more about the specs of a laptop you need for your computer sciences course. Depending on the software they might get you to run it would suck if the laptop could not handle it. If it just needs to do basic tasks like internet, MS office, etc then depending on the CPU/ram of your current laptop you might be able to swap the internal HDD for a SSD to make it feel faster than it has ever felt before. If you can get away with that then you can get a SATA 500gb SSD for a good price and might have money left over for a new GPU too.

If there are certain specs you need your school laptop to meet then I suggest looking into a laptop that at least meets those specs. The one for school is going to be more important to have functional than better game FPS at home.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

The GPU just has issues with artifacting and it can be annoying at times, and of course it's aging as a whole.

But as for what I'd be looking for in a laptop, CPU wise, preferably anything recent or a gen behind, 256GB or 512GB of SSD storage, RAM wise I want to aim towards 16GB for longevity if I can, and just solid battery life.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "General > Off Topic" to "General > General Discussion".

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Desktop wise it’s a PC I built 5 years ago. It has a i7-4790k, 16GB of RAM, R9 280 GPU (what I wanted to upgrade), and a 500GB SSD + 3TB HDD. I have an old laptop I stopped using regularly years ago because it could not keep up with anything at all. Booting up everything, launching apps, etc could take up to minutes.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Get an HP Envy x360... You can find one with a 2500u which has vega 8 for playing most games and a great design

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I’ll look into that. Thanks for the recommendation.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Based on this comment, a new laptop is clearly the better buy. Especially if you can take it to classes for notes and such.

Your desktop is fine. IDK how much money you've saved up for these ideas, but def get the laptop first, and If you wanted a performance bump on the desktop, you could buy a cheaper modern GPU and still see big gains. Even an RX 580 for ~$180 right now would wipe the floor with an R9 280.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I was seeing about going to Micro Center soon to see about getting either or while they're on sale. I didn't want to spend over $800-1000 if I can, but could stretch it some. Just didn't want to get too careless with what to get y'know? But yeah, my desktop is still pretty solid, except the GPU is showing its age in modern titles, so I'll see more about a new laptop.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd say use the money on a decent laptop, and then save for a new GPU later. You can get an XPS 13 for around $1000 and it's a very good machine. The HP Envy x360 that someone else mentioned is also good and more affordable. Lenovo Yoga laptops are pretty good too.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

That's one option I've looked at. Even tried to look at MacBooks on Micro Center's site that have been discounted by $200-300 as a consideration, too. I still don't mind Windows at all, but if I wanted to try something different, that's still an option for me. Overall, I wanted to look for something that's great on performance and battery life. Easily the two most important things I should look for in a laptop for the major I'm going into.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Have you added a SSD to your laptop?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

No. My old one I abandoned was replaced by my current desktop. Plus that laptop was one of those really cheap ones I got as a Christmas gift back in 2011, so there’s no way it would be useful nowadays. Lol

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube