add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Power supply failure worries

theofromlondon
  • 6 months ago

I know this might be a bit of a silly topic to post, but how likely is it for a power supply to blow up, ignite, fail, etc? Why would these kind of things happen? Has anyone actually recieved a psu that was dead out of the box and wouldnt turn their PC on? I've seen alot of reviews describing these problems and I'm just pretty worried I guess. The ones in particular being Corsairs RM 2019 that I was going to get and a few other power supplies.

Any suggestions for a good, reliable power supply that is 650-750w, modular and around £100? I've already got the Corsair Rmx in my list. Is that ok? People also describe PSUs failing after the first few months rather than lasting 3-5 years as advertised. Why does this happen?

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/dXxWb8

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 4 points

PSUs that fail in the first few months are mostly units that were bad from the factory, or the user putting increased stress on the unit (e.g going for an undersized unit, picking a bad/mediocre unit, etc)

The RMx is one of the best units you can buy, so there's no need to worry about anything

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm750x-v2-psu,5585.html

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

or the user putting increased stress on the unit (e.g going for an undersized unit, picking a bad/mediocre unit, etc)

Going for an undersized unit should not result in any problems, because that's what protections are for, if the build is drawing too much wattage. If you think about it, this is insanely unlikely; PSUs are generally built for 120%+ of their rated wattage. That's why protections are set around there. So for example a CX450 would be built for around 540W before shutting down. Considering that a 3700X and an RX 5700 XT draw around 350W, maximum overclock load, and a 9900K + 2080TI both overclocked heavily have a hard time pushing past 500W, you'll never see anyone's PSU dying because of overload (only if it's a **** PSU with no protections, which leads right to your second reason).

• 6 months ago
  • 3 points

its worth pointing out, that if your going by big seller review's that may give you a somewhat skewed perspective.

Mid range Corsair units are going to sell in huge numbers... and the vast majority of the ones that are bad, are going to get a bad review. The bad % may be tiny, but your still going to see a bunch just because of the volume.

Your better off finding a good review site, and really reading up on how well made the particular PSU you want is built.

Also, don't be in love with a brand name, they all have sold something with their name on it that was not good, either due to outsourcing, or cost downing etc. Look for testing of the unit you want to buy!

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Your better off finding a good review site, and really reading up on how well made the particular PSU you want is built.

THIS ^^^

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

Do not underestimate how stupid people can be.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Every brand and model of power supply has a chance to fail. Higher quality PSUs have much lower failure rates than cheaper ones. Another thing is that when they fail cheaper PSUs are more likely to take out other hardware when they blow up. Also crap power supplies can have voltage variations which can pop your capacitors. This is why we always recommend a good quality PSU for a pc.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube