add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

how can i install a free OS on a BRAND NEW pc??

ryanbbball
  • 74 months ago

which is the ebst free OS and how can i install it on a brand new untouched pc?

Comments

• 74 months ago
  • 3 points

Isn't Linux free?

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Almost always... There's many paid versions out there, but that's normally because they are sold already on disc or with paid apps pre loaded. The os itself is free from those companies also though.

• 74 months ago
  • 3 points

Linux is free, there are many different distros with many different features. Find the one that is best for you, then set up a bootable USB drive. Many guides on how to do this can be found with a simple Google search.

• 74 months ago
  • 3 points

Best options for a beginner are Ubuntu, Fedora, and mint for the most part... They include tons of stuff and are very easy to just install and go.

• 74 months ago
  • 2 points

Often a good place to start is Ubuntu. This is one of the (very) few alternative OSS that should not require command line use for most people.

• 74 months ago
  • -1 points

By "very few", I believe you mean "many" ;)

Fedora,centos,suse,debian,even Slackware these days to name a few all include automated package installers and use repos that don't require command line use...

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Nope, I mean very few. I think it's irresponsible to tell someone who has never used linux that they'll never have to touch a command line in some of those...

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Nah. Only power users need to bother... Programmers, advanced system tweakers, networking students, people that love the bleeding edge software, etc... For general desktop users running a home pc, everything you need is in the various package managers. Linux has come a very long way towards general usability for the masses. You no longer need to spend hours setting up ip table firewalls, trying to get your wifi drivers to work with wpa_supplicant, hard coding grub configuration files, etc... It's typically plug and play with auto driver detection and installation and point and click software installation on all the major distros now.

If your really trying to optimize Slackware 12 on an 8yo dust collecting pc to run a custom media server though, then Ya... You'll be in the command line and adjusting configuration files for days to have it running just right... But on a newer pc, just install, select your options, and go.

• 74 months ago
  • 2 points

As others already pointed out, Linux distros are free. As to which is best, depends on your hardware and intended usage and preferences. e.g. Centos would be fine for long term support and those comfortable with CLI but would be a total disaster for beginners. Personally, currently testing out Linux Lite for someone due to their requirements of web browsing w/ Firefox and Chrome, watching videos... with five years old hardware.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Come on man. This is obviously illegal. Do not post this content on our site or you will be banned.

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry about that

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Recommend a bootleg I take it? lol

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube