add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Make my laptop faster?

HopefullyItWorks
  • 74 months ago

I have an HP Pavilion dv6338se Notebook PC with 2GB of RAM, an AMD Turion 64X2 TL-56 processor, an NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150, and Windows 8.1 Pro 32-Bit.; I've tried everything, but it is extremely slow. Please help!

Comments

• 74 months ago
  • 2 points

This topic has been moved from "Systems > Troubleshooting" to "Hardware > Other".

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Hardware wise- look into upgrading the RAM and/or getting an SSD drive. Software wise- a clean install of windows, defragment drive, or run a full scan with windows defender.

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

I wish. Did I mention it is 10?

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Try a factory restore & clean the laptop fan. Maybe a virus is slowing you down; run Malwarebytes AntiMalware & Windows defender. (Full Scans)

Could it be a internet issue?

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Not an internet issue, my WiFi is faster than this but still slow. No viruses, and it is pretty clean.

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm, what are you using it for? If you're gaming on it, try lowest settings on the game, if your using this for editing, i suggest upgrading some parts but with laptops its a bit more difficult. Maybe save up for a new pc?

Also maybe you are running too many programs at once, try doing less multitasking or you have alot of programs running at startup/throughout your pc usage. Try out this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQJZrbS4WyI (Skimp'd through it hopefully it helps)

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Run a virus scan Malwarbytes is a great virus scanner and its free. Run a Disk Defrager with auslogics disk defrag which is also free.

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Here's a dangerous suggestion (MIGHT BURN YOUR LAPTOP): Overclock your CPU/APU.

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Try to upgrade the ram to 4GB or 8GB, run a scan with a Malwarebytes, Defrag it and try the 64-Bit OS.

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

There is no magical solution. If hardware upgrade is out of the question, factory restore, remove all non-essential software, end of story.

• 74 months ago
  • 0 points

Upgrade the ram. Open the case and clean all the dust out. Reformat it with a fresh Windows install. Turn off all the extra crap (Aero and various other desktop effects), turn off drive indexing. Don't install crap you don't use. Turn off Windows services you don't need (or at least take them off automatic setting so the don't run all the time when you don't need them). Adjust your cache size and make it a fixed size not automatic (1.5x your total ram is good for most people). Remove parts of Windows you don't use (like that bing crap, Outlook express, server related tools, Internet Explorer, and other stuff found in the "add or remove Windows features" control panel). Delete old versions of Java (unless your a developer and use the various jdks to write apps)

• 74 months ago
  • 0 points

try a 64 bit version of windows

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube