add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

RX 580's lifespan and bad reviews.

AvocadosToast

3 months ago

Been looking at a bunch of reviews (especially on Amazon. where is the place that I usually buy most of my computer parts) of the different kinds of 580s out there.

Sure the positives reviews outweigh the negatives by a lot, but as a person who is planning to buy one soon, it's still concerning.

Most of the 1st star reviews seems to target the lifespan, seeing as most people say that after a few months, the cards just die out. Also.. a bunch of DOAs, especially ones coming from XFX and MSI.

XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX Edition https://www.amazon.com/XFX-Radeon-1386MHz-Graphics-RX-580P8DFD6/product-reviews/B06Y66K3XD/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

MSI RX 580 Armor 8G OC https://www.amazon.com/MSI-RX-580-8G-OC/product-reviews/B06XZQMMHJ/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 Gaming 8GB https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Radeon-Gaming-Graphic-GV-RX580GAMING-8GD/product-reviews/B06Y3ZQPY6/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Figure that maybe 80-90% of users with DOA or infant mortality cards file a review, but for working cards I bet it's closer to 1% and maybe less. There are 163 reviews for the gigabyte card, 51 of them critical. Userbenchmark shows 200k+ reviews and even that is surely a fraction of total sales. One has to conclude that happy users don't file reviews at anywhere near the same rate as unhappy users.

I think that if there were a statistically significant excess failure rate for the RX 580's we'd know about it, like we did for the earliest batch(es) of the 2080 Ti.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, that is very good to know.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

DOA are almost always going to get reviews and are very rare.

Shortened lifespan comes with cheaply built cards that uses a hot running high power draw core with high capacity high power draw memory so You will see more early failures then a lower power draw cooler running core with less memory.

If You compare even the 570 to 580 versions of the same cards the 580's always have more issues and they are generally built on the same base boards.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Out off all the 500s series, which ones aren't "cheaply built"? Actually, which do you think I should get? A 570, 580 or 590? I just want a decent price (maximum $200) and decent built 1080 60fps graphics card.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Out off all the 500s series, which ones aren't "cheaply built"?

Nitro+, Aorus, or Strix for the 580/590 but giving the asking price for those models they are not really worth the pricing increase.

AMD left very little room for board partners between what it charges for cores and what it costs to build the cards to make a profit so they cut costs which has been a problem since the RX series launched.

Actually, which do you think I should get? A 570, 580 or 590?

All comes down to how much eye candy You want.

570 cheap lowest eye candy although not very far behind a 580.

580 unless it can be had cheap not really worth the extra.

590 might as well just get a 1660 which has better performance.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Been looking at the 1660 for quite a while, but the 6GB is what's throwing me off. I guess I could buy it for now, especially because it's lower than $300 which leaves me room to save up and have enough for when 8GB is the norm for 1080p 60fps.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, since I'm planning to use triple monitors. I wonder if the 6GB is enough for that.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Depends on how high of a quality settings You use. And what You are doing on each.

My Wife is using one for two 1080p screens without a complaint and She runs a game on one with 20 or so Chrome tabs along with several other programs from art to discord running at the same time.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome, only wished it was colored black and red.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube