add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Laptop Advice

FrankMachin

7 months ago

Hi all My granddaughter wants a laptop for her birthday. She is 12 so does not need a super dooper rig. I am not willing to spend more than £350.

Can anyone recommend a good one for around that price? something that is not going to be laborious with programs,tasks, games or internet.

Think she will be playing mine-craft and possibly fortnite.

cheers all.

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the help test19

[comment deleted]
  • 7 months ago
  • 1 point

My advice, let her save money, 350 cutting it really close to not enough to get a decent laptop for minecraft, and certainly not fortnite. I run just minecraft on a laptop that was $599 cad, and believe me, It's not a great experience. I'd suggest 400 to 500 will give a much better experience.

Otherwise If not possible the one test suggested was good for web browsing, but tell here she wont be doing minecraft or fortnite on it. (at least, not comfortably)

Does she need a laptop btw? Because if it won't be moving much I see a good oppertunity for her to build a computer instead.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi Manny Thanks for the reply. I am afraid space is limited in her bedroom so a computer is not an option.

I am purchasing as a birthday present and i'm on a budget.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, then tell her she won't be playing minecraft or fortnite one it, I'm sorry to say because you can't get a laptop powerful enough to play fortnite or minecaft at under 350 pounds.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I may just put the money aside. Explain the situation and then add her xmas money to it and buy a better one then.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

That's a good idea. I'd do that.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

So change of plans..my son has bought her a PS4, so she doesn't need to play games on a laptop..however, she needs a laptop for school still so what would you suggest for that? the same one?

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 3 1200 3.1 GHz Quad-Core Processor £52.97 @ Laptops Direct
Motherboard Asus - PRIME A320M-K Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard £49.99 @ AWD-IT
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory £39.78 @ Aria PC
Storage Crucial - BX500 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £46.00 @ Amazon UK
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GT 1030 DDR4 2 GB Video Card £64.47 @ Ebuyer
Case Cooler Master - MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case £42.94 @ Box Limited
Power Supply Corsair - CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply £52.09 @ Amazon UK
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £348.24
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-27 17:07 BST+0100

MannyPc's advice with a 350 budget. Will run both games at 720 60 fps highest.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube