add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How many monitors do you use on your home and/or work computer

floridaboz

5 months ago

I needed to add a topic, it has been a while. But since 2000, i have ran at least 2 monitors, and most of the time 3 monitor per PC, right now, i am running only 2.

Work PC 2
Home PC 2

Hopefully soon i will be running 3 monitors on each

I often get this question, why would you need so many monitors.... Well both at home and the office, i monitor things that are always on, and i need to be able to see what is going on with a quick look. This is more important at work, as it will cost a lot of money if something goes down, and i do not notice. But at home, it is just preferred.

So if your wondering (and you might not be. I run 2 ACER 27 inch. 75 Hz monitors at work. They are good , cheap, very thin, and good for what i do. At home i run a MSI 27 inch curved 144 Hz monitor, and a 24 inch, "i dont remember stats " monitor but it is just a cheap one, older dell monitor. At work they are side by side, at home, 27 inch on the bottom, and 24 inch at the top (due to limiting room)

Extra points if you show your work or home set up.

This is my work setup

My home set up is just not picture worthy and in just to much of a compressed space.

Also the chair in that picture is a $180.00 Serta I bought from Wal Mart, very comfortable, and very much worth it. But chair i ever had. Any other questions about the picture, please ask.

UPDATE; My boss just bought me a third monitor. So now it is 3 27 inch monitors for work.

https://i.imgur.com/y7GIrkA.jpg

I took a video from the front, but i cant upload it, and i dont feel like converting it, but you all know what a monitor looks like. I hope.

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 4 points
  1. My primary monitor is a 2560x1080 75hz, and my secondary a 1920x1080 60hz.

Main reason I use 2 monitors is for watching videos on my secondary while I do stuff like gaming or browsing the internet on my primary display.

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

For my home PC I have the same use mostly for my 2nd display but I got dual 1080p screens. Main is 144hz freesync and 2nd is 60hz and very basic.

I work in an inbound call center as a customer service rep and I also get dual monitor as well. We have our main tool for managing most of what we need to do but we also have a program that manages the phone and other programs we use to track things in. We simply do not have enough screen real estate on a single screen for all that so we split it between 2 screens.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

2 at work, 24" side by side. I could use a third but I need the desk space more.

Only one at home, 24" 1080P. I'd have a second if I could figure out where to put it. It's a corner desk under a sloping ceiling so I've just got no room

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Three 1080p at work, one 1440p at home. I'd like to get a 2nd for home but I don't have the space right now, and honestly it would be a waste with how infrequently I get on at home these days.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

I utilize 3 at home, but I only have 1 at work.

The 3 at home I have each for very specific purposes. My primary monitor is for games, the second for communication, and the third to have the internet up. I stream the games I play on occasion as well so the second monitor also acts as the monitor I dedicate my streaming platform to.

Work, however, requires that I only have on screen, as multiple screens don't work quite so well in a customer-facing position. That being said, I'd love to have just 2, but the company won't allow it.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I have a good boss, i ask for tech related stuff, and well i get it.. most of the time...

I wonder what he would say if i told him i needed to upgrade my system to a 3900X. After he sees the price, he might ask what kind of good drugs i am on...

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Home - 0 Because I don't have a PC anymore (but slowly working on one)

Work - 1 and it's a laptop lol. I'm getting my own office before too long, and I'll make sure I have at least two moniters

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

One 32" BenQ for the development PC. The house iMac has the built-in screen plus another 20" monitor, mostly because my wife used to do online Girl Scout training and needed both monitors. One craigslist monitor shared among the 3 cluster nodes and the rarely-used Sun box.

So on average I'm under one monitor per computer. Just being contrary, I guess.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Always wanted to get a BenQ ever since I saw one at SigGraph a few years ago - but that was their high end model.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Work - If I’m at a PC between 1-3 depends on the system.

Home - One 4K monitor. I used to have two but it just took up too much space and I have an oddball set of monitors and none of them look good together.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Personally, I use one pretty good monitor at my house. I think I would like a secondary monitor, but I don’t really have enough money or desk space so that just won’t be a thing. 3 monitors seems like way too much and anything more just seems like insanity.

Great keyboard, Floridaboz! Geniuses truly do think alike. I just wish it had a bit of a better wrist rest, like my father’s one that I played Minecraft with back in the day.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

One. It's a 20" Dell E2011H, 1600x900 monitor, which I OC'd to 75hz. I also have the soundbar attached to it

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

At home I have one monitor. Sad I know. Really don't have desk space for two - maybe I need to make some changes. This one monitor is connected to two computers and I switch between the two via monitor controls - kind of a pain. Cleaning up the clutter would probably help. The monitor is an AOC - got it from my son since he no longer uses it - no idea what that brand is, but the resolution is 1920x1080 60Hz. <politics warning> Don't like the AOC on the bezel or when it is powered up - reminds me of that person in congress each time</politics warning>

At work two Dell monitors - forget the resolution.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

3 at work (1 24" dell 1080 monitor, 2 generic dell ~15"-16", not sure resolution, but not great) Used to have 4 at my old job, really miss having teh extra space to work...

2 at home (1 27" 1080 monitor, 1 15"-16" generic dell)

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

At work, have a 17" laptop (maybe 15" viewable) with a 24" monitor (have no idea on specs, it's a cheaper Samsung that my boss purchased). Need two screens because I'm an accountant and work with spreadsheets and Quickbooks. Also always have notepad files open and websites open. With one screen, everything is just so cluttered and tabbing back and forth to log Amazon sales (from Chrome tab) to an Excel spreadsheet just kills me (also kills me that exporting data from Amazon is so crappy that I have to do it by hand).

https://imgur.com/GF69M5e

At home (pics in my build), I have a single 34" ultrawide which is my baby. Built my entire system around it. My desk doesn't have room for another monitor, but I don't need it with the ultrawide. Should probably go for a new desk and chair soon.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

This topic has been moved from "General > Off Topic" to "General > General Discussion".

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

Well, the good news is, i can get traction in two different sub forums...

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

I just recently upgraded to a two monitor setup. I love to use it to learn things while doing it(coding a watching video), and is helpful when playing games and needing to figure out something online. 1 monitor is an LG 1080p 60hz, and the other is a Samsung with a resolution close to 1080p, but not quite, and also 60hz.

I lost most of my desk space, but it's worth it for me.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

2 at home

My primary is 2560x1440 144hz G-SYNC 27in 1ms i use for gaming or watching videos at 1440p.

My secondary is 1920x1080 144hz IPS 24 like 2-4ms in which i use for everything else.

Both are dells and both were expensive.

My chair, i got for free from a job that shutdown in a pretty tragic way.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

1 20" inch dell monitor, I think from 2010, 1600x900, 60Hz. Do want to switch to the $90 Acer 1080p 75Hz one.

As for a chair, I sit on a $151 big men's chair from Costco. Ordered it on a Friday, it came Monday (granted, only traveled 270 miles lol)

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

1 1080p 23" 60hz, planning to get a 32" monitor.

i do a lot of research so the 32 inch would help a lot.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

I did this, 24 inch 1920x1200 to 32 inch 2560x1440. I would have preferred 2560x1600 but they are very hard to find. You get about the same pixel size, so fonts and window decorations look about the same, but you have 1/3 more screen space. Highly recommended!

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Work PC (at home) 4 monitors Home PC 2 monitors (not used for any work)

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Of course i was wondering why you was using 4 monitors.. than i seen your completed builds, and that explained everything...

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

And my icon helps give it away also!!! lolol

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

2 on all of them. Size is less important than if they match... My work from home station has a laptop doc, a pair of 19 (or 17 in can't remember) old Dell monitors, the main rig has a pair of 24's. My work set up is also a pair of 24's

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

3 X 1440P (2 X 25" vertical and 1 X 27" horizontal) at work. I sometimes connect as many as 5 total with an additional pair of 1080P's scrounged up from around the office.

2 X 1080P (1 vertical 21", 1 horizontal 21"), and 1 X 4K 43" Samsung TV at home.

So 3 monitors in each location normally. Coincidentally, both configurations have the same total pixel count.

Honestly at home I don't really use the 3rd very often. The single vertical next to the TV is plenty.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

I work in IT at an Engineering firm and my boss just got a 50" (I think, maybe a 55") 4K tv that has been working phenomenally. All I know is that it is equal to 4 27" 1920x1080p monitors and he has been using dual monitors before that and loves this so much more. If you are ok with sizing and moving windows where you want them I think that would be an excellent option for you. (We call it the Great Wall of IT)

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

UPDATE; My boss just bought me a third monitor. So now it is 3 27 inch monitors for work.

https://i.imgur.com/y7GIrkA.jpg

I took a video from the front, but i cant upload it, and i dont feel like converting it, but you all know what a monitor looks like. I hope.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Very nice. Whats even nicer is you seem to have soooo much space around you aswell lol :O

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Two 24" 1080p60 IPS displays at work. Nothing special.

My home monitor I've recently been using one, but that's because I also often have my laptop and phone also at my desk. In the past I've used up to 3 monitors. My main monitor is a Nixeus Edg, one of the earlier 1440p144 AHVA monitors available. Secondary monitors have included a random assortment of scrapped 1080p and 1050p monitors and a 1080p monitor that I picked up for cheap.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

3 at work and 3 at home. I'll throw some pics up monday of each.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

2 for work and 2 at home (if you count the laptop).

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube