add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Questions about how many coolers can be in a case

AlexDeDerp

1 month ago

So if I had a case with 3 fans in the front and 1 exhaust fan and room for 2 fans on the top and a cpu cooler could I have 3 rgb fans in the front and one for the cpu cooler and the exhaust fan and have a double liquid cooler * Corsair perhaps?* that are also rgb. Main thing is can I have liquid cool and regular at the same time or no I’m new to building PCs so yeah

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I am having a hard time deciphering this question. I guess you are referring to fans as coolers instead of the coolers that fans go on such as a CPU cooler or GPU cooler.

As for fans you can fill up every possible spot with one but how much good will it do depends on many factors and you also have to deal with diminishing returns. Generally in most PC cases it is better to have as many fans or more blowing into the case than fans exhausting the case. The NZXT H500 case is one example that goes against this rule so this does not apply to all cases. (too many variables)

3 fans in at the front and 1 fan exhaust at the back generally should be decent for airflow in most setups and adding more fans may not really affect temps all that much. Once you are replacing the mass of air in the case every couple of seconds with outside air then the components that generates heat will have a hard time keeping up trying to saturate said air with heat before it is replaced.

Now to link 3 of my builds and explain the airflow plan may help understand this more. Now all 3 PCs have effective cooling for the components they host.

-My HTPC. It has 1 fan for front intake and I flipped the PSU to suck air out from above the CPU. Air takes a path right through the case from front to back and hot air doesn't have much ability to hang out in the case.

-My main rig. It has 5 fans, 3 intake and 2 exhaust. Front 2 fans and bottom fan are the intakes and top fan along with back fan is exhaust. Sure the HDD cages kinda block some of the 2 front fans but the bottom fan is blowing cool air right onto the GPU.

-The build I did for my Sister. Has 3 fans 2 of which are front intake and 1 is exhaust. Again the CPU and GPU have good temps and that fan setup is ample.

I could add another top fan to my main rig but I doubt that will reduce my temps any more because inside the case is already a wind tunnel. With my sister's PC I could change the top case cover to the mesh one instead of solid one and add 2 more fans up there but again the amount of cooling won't change all to much as the components don't generate a ton of heat.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yes I am referring fans as coolers yeah like can I have coolers and liquid coolers in the same pc case like 3 rgb fans in the front and 1 in the back for exhaust and a Corsair h100i rgb platinum on the top cooling the cpu at the same time as the 3 coolers in the front?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

That's exactly how I have my build setup, with the exact same cooler as well. You can click on my build next to my username for pictures.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

you can put whatever you can physically fit into the case; whether this is practical, by way of improving performance or just improving aesthetics is another matter...

On My Build: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/StuC/saved/#view=ddpqkL

On my fractal define s case (all none rgb fans).. I have... 3 front mount fans - bringing air in, 1 rear mount fans expelling air..

The nzxt kraken 52 aio cpu cooler is mounted to the top of the case, and has two fans on that set to push air out..

To me that is balanced, 3 fans pull air in, and 3 fans push air out.. whilst remainig rather near silent..

Cpu runs at about 32c idle Evga 1080 card runs at 28c idle

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube