add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Ryzen 7 1700 in 2019?

Aliguiero

1 month ago

Hi

I’m going to renew my pc (10 years old). I use it for work doing my home labs with virtuales machine in vm workstation. My budget is no more than 700$. I was thinking to purchase a ryzen 7 1700 because it’s specs and current price (170$). What do you think? Is it too much old for purchase in 2019? Is it worth buying the 2700? To wait the new ryzen 3709 is not a option because is expensive.

Thanks for yours opinion!

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 4 points

For running lots of VM's, having a nice big pile of RAM is probably your first priority. I've been running 5 VM's on my work machine lately and have no complaints about performance in any of the machines or on the host.. this is with a Ryzen 2600 and 64GB RAM.

With that being said, a pile of DDR4 isn't cheap. You're better off stepping back to a refurbished DDR3 generation machine for a workstation rig like this that should be fitted with a decent amount of RAM....

https://www.newegg.com/p/1VK-0001-3G3T7

Dell Precision T3610 Workstation E5-2690 v2 3.0GHz 10-Cores 64GB DDR3 Quadro K600 NEW 512GB SSD Windows 10 Pro - $693

So that includes a windows pro license, and enough RAM and cores to really go nuts on the VM's. Anything you build around the 1700 at this budget, (including windows Pro) is going to be a bit less machine IMO:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3 GHz 8-Core Processor $159.99 @ Newegg Business
Motherboard Gigabyte - B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $71.98 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $129.99 @ Amazon
Storage HP - EX900 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $57.99 @ Amazon
Case Fractal Design - Focus G Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case $50.40 @ Walmart
Power Supply Corsair - CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $49.99 @ Corsair
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit $115.00 @ Trusted Tech Team
Custom Some random used GPU that isn't terrible $50.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $685.34
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-14 23:37 EDT-0400
  • 28 days ago
  • 1 point

Today I found myself up to 8 machines running at once with some workloads involved.... Machine remained very responsive but I did managed to crash VBox for some reason and they all came crashing down. I suspect a software issue because otherwise the hardware was handling it fine. I suspect I'd be better off if I were running a VMWARE based product.

It's worth noting... that hyper-v still doesn't fully support Zen properly. I've run into lots of performance issues, stability issues, and functionality limits (like no nested paging).

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I don't think you would notice the difference.

So get the Ryzen 1700 hands down, NOW!

Especially at that low price.

Otherwise you will not have the opportunity to get a 1700 at that low price, because all the R1700 CPUs would vanish from the shelves.

And if that happens, the price of the remaining CPUs will be inflated.

I'm afraid it has already begun!

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3kPzK8/amd-ryzen-7-1700-30ghz-8-core-processor-yd1700bbaebox

https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700/p/N82E16819113428?Description=Ryzen%201700&cm_re=Ryzen_1700-_-19-113-428-_-Product

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I would suggest looking at the local microcenter if OP has one around for any extra deals. Especially when strapped for cash the deals can make a HUGE difference in what you get.

I recall a thread where they had an 1800x for $99 if you also paired it with a motherboard and you can get a decent cooler for less than the cost difference of the 1700. https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/319139-ryzen-1800x

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700x/p/N82E16819113429 <-- Would need a cooler, though maybe Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 for $25 to keep it at $200? (if you can hurry)

Otherwise, the 2700 for $50 more.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

thank you all!! and which mother board do you recommend me? I was thinking about the MSI X470 gaming pro. (I have a SSD, HDD and graphic card that I want to ruse so I can use this money for a better components)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

TOMAHAWK is another good choice as well. But 1700X with cooler (like tonight at worst) or 2700 (they will be around a little while longer), as the 1700 is OOS everywhere.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Is not it worth the x470 instead of the b450?

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Well, it depends from what you have in mind to do with that board.

The X470 has 8 USB back panel ports, the X450 has only 4.

On the other side, the X450 has WiFi and a flash button BIOS, that the X470 doesn't have.

Both boards have 5 additional fan headers (except the CPU one) and 2 RGB LED 12V connectors.

Now as far as VRM concerns, both have completely the same power delivery system, but the B450 has a major advantage over the X470 board with a way better heat-sink solution over the mosfets. And that means if you have in mind to OC that R7 1700 processor, that B450 board would do a much better job on that matter.

So yeah, it depends from your needs with either of these two boards.

In fact, the MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC should be the best B450 ATX form factor board out there. That's my opinion. :)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

X470s haven't had great reviews like their other brother.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

As mark5916 suggests, the X470 isn't necessarily better. Most X470 boards have more features than B450 boards, such as more SATA ports, more USB ports, or less interference between SATA and m.2 slots. Not all X470's have better power delivery, you generally have to be looking at midrange and up X470's for that. (Asus Prime Pro and up, Asrock Taichi, etc.) And, unless you're going to load up SATA or USB, the extra X470 features often don't matter for a build. (and if USB is the issue, USB hubs are cheap...)

From a power delivery standpoint, a 1700 will run just fine on any of the decent or better B450's. (It should run on just about any B450, but I'd want to see at least some wave at VRM cooling.) The 2700X is the only currently shipping Ryzen that I'd suggest limiting to B450's with above average VRM design and/or cooling, which is why one often sees the MSI Tomahawk or Pro Carbon suggested for that CPU. (The top Asus and Gigabyte B450's are OK for a 2700X as well. Lesser boards may leave more performance on the table than one would like, or might run very hot.)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

If you are near a Micro Center it was on sale for $129

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thank you all!!

Taking into account your opinions it seems that the best option would be the B450. Now I am thinking whether to buy the Ryzen 7 1700 or pay a little more and buy the 2700, although you have already told me that there is no big difference.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

the 2700, as the 1700 is out of stock most places now (unless you have a Microcenter nearby that has it still)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

My brother recently got the 1700X and MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC from Micro Center. Such a good deal and I managed to OC it to 3.8GHz. Under $250 (for those two parts) for that kind of performance was a steal! Can click the build next to my username to see the build.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

What do you think about this?

https://es.pcpartpicker.com/list/xMxkV6

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Fine, but you'll need some sort of video card since the 1700 has no embedded graphics. I'd get on eBay or similar and look for a used GT 710. (They go for $40 new in the US, looks like it's more like €50+ in Spain which is silly.)

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! I already have a graphic card which is installed in my old pc and I will reuse it. It is not a very good card but I don’t need more than this

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube