add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cases, fans, I'm new to pc. Please help.

Cireretals

4 months ago

Just build a new pc and everything is looking good so far. Temps under moderate load are sitting generally below 60 on cpu and gpu. But I'm looking at down the road at maybe switching to an AOI or something similar and I'm looking at switching out one of the fans in my case. So my question is how do I know how big of an AOI to get or fans for that matter. My fans that came with my case are 120mm but if I can go larger, why not? I got a Coolermaster masterbox 5 lite pro. I know this case isn't known for the best airflow, and now that I build my rig its one of the few regrets I have.

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Your temps are fine. Do you plan to overclock or do you expect to put your system under heavy loads for long periods of time? What temp does your system get under heavy load? You only mentioned moderate (does that mean gaming?). We don't really have much info. Your system specs would be appreciated.

That said, yes, the case doesn't seem to have any top ventilation, and the front... Yeah, I don't understand. Where does the air come in? Under the front panel? I don't see any ventilation anywhere.

As for larger case fans, your case already comes with a full set of 120mm fans for every available fan mount. If your case has holes for 140mm fans, you would have to remove all of your front 120mm fans (you'd be removing 3 120mm fans for 2 140mm fans, that's only if your case has holes to support it, I couldn't find that info). That isn't worth it, especially when you have to purchase those fans. Yes, 140mm fans are more efficient at moving air (when there is sufficient ventilation), but since there is one less fan, those fans have to work harder and will also end up being louder.

As for AIOs, your case can support up to a 360mm radiator on the front (120mm x 3). Radiators are designed to have fans mounted directly on them, so you can easily tell how large of a rad your case supports by looking at the fan mounts available.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Cireretals/saved/#view=h6QRkL

Not sure how to just put the image in of my build, so heres a link.

So far I've only played a few different games, I don't stream or anything like that but I think with this rig I could. So far I've been using xmp so it over clocks alittle. I the only things I've really played at this point for more than an hour is Boarderlands 2, Conan exiles, and Diablo 2. It didn't really like Diablo 2 at first but I change some fan settings and took the dumb piece of plastic off the front and that helped. I did some looking and I guess its a common issue for diablo because it doesn't do multithreading. But I don't think I would consider any of those heavy load. I mean I played them in the highest available settings. Going in and messing with fans helped alot. A friend of mine just built something similar and has temps approx 7° above mine and his cable management is.... less than optimized. So I don't feel as worried now. But I'm still either going to modify the front panel or acquire the mesh version. Might still add an AOI at some point not sure yet.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm a huge fan of cable management, but poor cable management is really just a myth as far as affecting your temps. The main thing is that you don't want them getting into your fans.

Anyway, glad that you could compare and get an idea of your temps and hardware. As I said before, sounds fine. Only get an AIO if you want to reduce noise (if the stock cooler is actually noisy, I don't really have any idea) or you really want the aesthetics. Otherwise, I'd save the money for a future upgrade.

As for posting images, you need to create a completed build. Let me know if you do as I've love to see.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube