add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Ryzen 7 2700X temperature

ProbablyProdigy

5 months ago

Update:

I have ordered a 280mm AIO and I've decided to go ahead and switch to the Meshify C case due to airflow. I had this case in the past and I know it's a great case. I'll miss the PC-O11 but I think it might be best to eliminate all possibilities. I'll give this post one last update next week after I get everything switched over and I'm able to monitor the temperatures.

Previously posted about this but decided to make a new post to hopefully reach a larger audience.

So, I'm using a Ryzen 7 2700X and have had some issues with its temperature while under load. While gaming, my CPU will stay around 82-85c and a couple of times, I've had spikes to 88c. I am using the stock cooler and (should) have plenty of ventilation throughout my case. Ambient temperature shouldn't be an issue as I keep my office nice and cold. I have reapplied thermal paste three times and saw no difference even between the pre-applied thermal paste and Arctic MX4 which I've used the last two times.

I was also informed that there are issues with the stock 2700X cooler because thermal paste doesn't go into the 'grooves' of the cold plate on the cooler while using the normal pea-sized method. I got a suggestion to apply TP on the cold plate, filling in the grooves, before installing the cooler. No luck with that.

So, at this point: do I learn how to under volt? Do I try to RMA the CPU? Do I have fork over the cash for an AIO?

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor $279.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte - X470 AORUS GAMING 7 WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard $229.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3466 Memory -
Storage ADATA - XPG SX8200 480 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $95.95 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $74.99 @ Amazon
Video Card EVGA - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card $559.99 @ Newegg Business
Case Lian-Li - PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Full Tower Case $119.99 @ Walmart
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $95.88 @ OutletPC
Case Fan be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM 50.5 CFM 120 mm Fan $24.99 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1626.72
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $1606.72
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-12 18:35 EDT-0400

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

What program are you using to measure the CPU temperature? Definitely seems high, especially given your case and fans (I'm assuming they are setup correctly). There is the "standard" CPU temp that is 10 degrees higher than the Tdie temperature (which is used by Ryzen Master).

The highest temperature I ever saw on my 2700x with a stock cooler was 80c (70c Tdie) and I have way less fans & ventilation than you have. The stock cooler should be fine, I replaced mine due to the noise, not temps.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

So far, I have used Ryzen Master, OCCT and CPU-Z. All show pretty much the same temperatures. I'm aware of that 10c offset, however, I've been told that Ryzen Master was the program that didn't have an offset but like I said, they all show similar numbers.

At the moment, I'm looking into the possibility of under volting a touch so long as I don't lose a considerable amount of performance. It's just a matter of learning how to do it properly. I'll probably give that a shot this weekend. If that doesn't work, I'll probably grab an AIO.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I hardly think you need an AIO, just a better heatpipe cooler. The Prism is pretty good but it sounds like you are working your CPU very hard. By the way, I assume the cooler fan is spun up when it's hot? because if not, you may need to adjust your fan curve.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

That's the thing - I'm not. I pretty much only game, photo edit (small batches) and general use.

Yes, it definitely spins (and gets loud). I'm using the default fan curve however.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree that a good air cooler should be more than enough. I switched over the NH-U14S and couldn't be happier. Completely silent and I'm getting about a 9 - 13 degree improvement in CPU temps. I included some comparison pictures in my build. I switched over due to the noise but the large temp improvement was a welcome bonus.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for your comment. It's definitely loud when it ramps up and that has been a negative for me. I'll definitely look into a new cooler!

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point
  1. Check your fan curve, it may not be spinning up high enough. I've seen many issues about that
  2. Ensure you have a proper push pull system in place
  3. If all else fails, get a different air cooler
  • 5 months ago
  • 1 point

1) I'll play around with the fan curve but I can tell you it definitely ramps up at these temperatures. It's quite loud and hard to miss past 80% fan speed. I will attempt a custom fan curve and maybe just to see, i'll set it to max and see what my temperatures do.

2) I actually rearranged my fans last time I applied thermal paste just a few days ago. I'll double check them though.

3) Definitely a consideration at this point.

Thanks!

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

From the pictures from your completed build it looks like you have the intake fans at the bottom of the case, and exhaust at the top. If this is the way it is set up it looks like the GPU would be blocking the air flow from getting to you CPU cooler.

You may want to change the intake fans to the front (side for that case) and see if that changes the temps.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, that's how I set it up at first. After a couple of weeks, I noticed that the GPU was a little too dusty. Realized that probably wasn't the best idea. Since then, the bottom fans were moved to the front (side) as intakes. Kind of a strange case to work with when you don't have a radiator in that spot.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Perhaps put an exhaust fan in the rear of the case to draw more air across the CPU cooler. With the size of the case and the way it is configured even an inexpensive tower cooler may help.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, the O11 Dynamic is designed for water cooling (custom or closed loop). The O11 Air is meant for air cooling. They're both good cases if you use them for their intended purpose.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube