add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What is the best aio

Racer2k5x

6 months ago

I’m looking at building a system featuring the new ryzen chip. I’m still debating on exactly which one but will most likely be the 3700x. Now I don’t want to do a full custom loop so I’m looking for the best (preferably 360) aio to help keep it cool. I really like the look and design of the deep cool captain series and I’m considering getting either the genome or ark 90 since they have the cooler built in.

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

I've tested quite a few Corsair AIOs and the NZXT Kraken X72 on my overclocked i9-9900k (5.1GHz). I will second the opinion regarding the X72 as it is an excellent cooler. I only had two problems: 1. the pump head is too large for my motherboard and filling all 4 DIMM slots; 2. I don't like the NZXT monitoring software CAM which you should use if have the X72 (or any NZXT AIO). The second problem is purely subjective as I'm sure someone out there likes CAM. Also, apparently it's going to get a pretty nice overhaul soon (at least from what I saw from coverage of Computex).

Most of the AIOs on the market are only distinguishable through the fans that come with them (which directly affect cooling performance) and the software used to control them (pump/fan speeds, RGB effects if any). The size of the radiator is really only important for noise as you can run the fans at a lower RPM to achieve the same amount of cooling as a smaller radiator running the single fan at max speed. The only really important thing to note is that you don't want the liquid temp of your AIO to exceed 60C due to chance of liquid permeation (which will shorten the life of your unit). This is why you really should have a monitoring software that you like for your AIO.

So I would personally recommend NZXT if you want a nice and quiet AIO that you don't have to replace the fans (if you don't want RGB). In fact, those are high quality fans that I would suggest using if you purchase this unit. If you want RGB, you can go with the Cooler Master ML360R RGB as it is comparable (due to the fan quality) to the NZXT X72 but cheaper. If you end up replacing the fans of any unit you purchase, then just buy the cheapest AIO you can find. Just be aware that some fans are not compatible with the PWM control of the AIO you purchase. For instance, Corsair AIO units will not play nicely with be quiet! Silent Wings fans (you can't control the speed of the fan in Corsair's iCUE software), so don't even try. Also, replacing fans does get pretty expensive if you have to buy 3 for a 360mm radiator. Even a 240mm would be fine as I currently use the H100i RGB Platinum for my 9900k (can keep 5.0GHz cooled, but a bit noisy). I'm not a fan on 280mm though as 140mm fans don't have as good static pressure as 120mm fans (at least when you directly compare noise levels).

Sorry, a lot of info I dumped on you, but hope you have enough to make an informed decision.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow! Great info! I’m thinking of getting a i9 9900k but I am torn b/w an AIO or an Air Cooler. I’m looking at the Kraken 52 or 62 for front intake but I would prefer an Air Cooler with RGB b/c of longervity, no maintenance & no leaks, but I’m not sure it would cool the i9. Thoughts?

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I've heard that the Noctua air coolers can cool the 9900k at stock, but not at higher overclocks (maybe it can handle 5.0GHz depending on silicon lottery and how many volts you need to run). As for the Kraken, if you plan to overclock, I'd definitely go with the X72. I know you said X62 or X52. The X52 would be fine but probably run a little louder due to having only two fans instead of three. The only reason I don't like the X62 is because 140mm fans are much better for air flow than static pressure. Comparing the fan stats on NZXT's own page, the 140mm fans run louder at full speed and produce less static pressure than the 120mm Aer P fans. Sure, there is much greater air flow from the 140mm fans, but when you stick them on a radiator, your only concern is static pressure.

As for longevity, maintenance, and leaks, NZXT's coolers come with a six year warranty, and I've been through their customer service and it's very good. Also, AIOs do not require maintenance. Maybe a bit of dusting out every two months or so (dust out the radiator fins as even through dust filters they will gather some amount of dust), but hopefully that shouldn't be too much of a hassle. If you ever get air trapped in your pump (will be heard as a constant clicking sound that may come and go in waves), tilting your case back and forth (or removing the AIO and tilting it back and forth a few times, or even giving the pump head a good shake or two) and then running the pump at 100% for six hours should work the air out (got this direct from NZXT which worked).

Oh, something else that I wanted to add: I have an older system from five years ago that has a 120mm AIO for the CPU cooler. It still works perfectly fine today. I had to replace the fans (cost me $5 for some cheap ones), but it still runs beautifully. I wouldn't worry about leaks as these products are solid at this point, and again, NZXT has a six year warranty which is pretty crazy (Corsair has five years and Cooler Master only two years).

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Loving the detail in your response. Thank you. So you suggest the X52 rather than the x62? I have the Meshify C case and it’s compact. I’ll be using my PC for 4K Editing w/ Premiere Pro. Probably will overclock it but not sure yet. Although I want that option for the future. Will the X52 suffice?

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

So in general, larger fans produce less static pressure (this is especially true for 200mm fans), but some 140mm fans are still decent radiator fans (Noctua 140mm iPPC are excellent examples). Looking at benchmarks again (Gamers Nexus), the X62 and X52 are within 3 degrees of each other with the X62 coming out on top. It's likely because with the larger surface area, the fans don't have to work as hard, so even though the Aer P 140mm fans have slightly less static pressure than the 120mm fans at max RPM, the 280mm radiator is the difference.

So all that said, the EVGA CLC 280 and the NZXT X62 stand out as good 280mm AIOs (comparable to 360mm units). I just don't recommend the Corsair H115i Pro as the 140mm fans that are included are terrible. I tried this AIO myself and promptly returned it as even with a push/pull setup (4 fans, with the other fans being Noctua 140mm Chromax fans), it performed worse than the H100i RGB Platinum that I'm currently using (a 240mm AIO with only 2 fans). I would go with the X62, X52, or CLC 280, whichever you can find at the best price. If noise is an issue, it looks like the X62 would be the best option. If the H100i RGB Platinum is still on sale and you don't mind all of the RGB wires, I would also recommend that as I'm currently using it and it's definitely adequate.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks so much for your advice. You’re awesome. I was looking at the EVGA as well as the Kraken. It’s between those 2 AIO or a Be Quiet Dark Rock 4. Ugh. I’m so torn.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I think I might just go with the x72. The case I wanted isn’t compatible with 360 rads. The Corsair 570x crystal. Might just get a phantex p400s

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

The 570x does support a 360 rad in the front of the case. It will fit.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Gamerstorm coolers have issues with leakage (which may have been fixed at some point, dunno), but they are attractive. I would advise a kraken x72 if you want a high end cooler, and swap the fans out for some high performance rgb fans if you want. To save money, you could pick up an evga clc 280, which has great performance for the price. But seeing as the 3700x has a 65w tdp, you'll be perfectly fine with a 240mm, in which case I would advise the clc 240 for value, or the x52 for aesthetics and max performance.

Does anybody know where you can buy a 360mm deepcool aio with rgb fans on its own? I guess you have to buy a 360ex and swap out the fans.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

The Corsair Platinum AiOs are really well performing RGB ones, 2nd place out of nearly all tested IIRC, and if you're okay with spending a LOT you could get the ASUS models which AFAIK are the best performing CPU coolers/AiOs you can buy off a shelf, only to be outdone by custom liquid cooling

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube