add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

240 VS 360 AIO

Tisleet

4 months ago

Hello, I am looking for some opinions on CPU coolers. I currently have a Corsair H60 (120mm) on my i5-8600k, OC to 4.8ghz at 1.27v. Idle temps sit around 45-50c and under load 70-75c.

I am considering upgrading for two reason, to drop my current temps and I have been considering the new Ryzen 9 3900x. I have a Best Buy credit card that screams 12 month interest free financing. lolz

Okay, lets get to the coolers, the reason we're here. I am going to be a Corsair fan boy here (get it, fan, because cooling), looking between the H100i RGB PLATINUM and H150i PRO RGB. Here is why I am torn, cooling performance of a 360mm or white with RGB. I want the cooling, hence the reason I am considering to upgrade, but I LOVE the white. Also, the white 240mm comes with LL120 fans which I have in my build.

I know when it comes to fashion vs function, to choose function... but white.

Has anyone had experience with both (radiator sizes)? Wondering if the extra surface area of the 360mm is noticeably better than a 240mm. Thanks in advice for any feedback!

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Something to understand: surface area doesn't necessarily equate to better cooling, it simply allows you to use fans at a lower RPM to get the same amount of cooling as a smaller radiator. I have used both the H150i Pro (also the NZXT X72) and the H100i RGB Platinum (currently have the latter). I've also tried the H115i Pro (sorry for all of the returns Amazon). Anyway, the point is that I have a lot of experience with AIO coolers for my CPU (i9-9900k @ 5.1 GHz).

The main difference with all of these coolers is really just the fans that come with them. The H150i Pro comes with 3 quiet fans that don't really move a lot of air. They don't really have to because they will be mounted on a 360mm radiator, but let me tell you, they have trouble cooling my CPU even when mounted as intake on the front of the case (I had to drop the OC to 5.0GHz even with a push/pull fan combo with 3 LL120 as push and the 3 stock ML120 as pull - those are 6 fans on the 360mm radiator!).

The one that I am currently using is the H100i RGB Platinum and it can keep my CPU cooled even at 5.0GHz with just the two fans that come with it. The problem is that they get pretty loud as the fans can spin up to 2400 RPM. But we are talking about 2 fans versus 6! In any case, the trade off is a louder hum versus a bit more silent hum with a lot of wooshing (because while those 6 fans are quiet, combined they are pushing a lot of air). Also, the H100i RGB Platinum is cheaper than the H150i plus 3 more fans.

The worst of the coolers I would have to say is the H115i Pro as the 140mm fans that come with it are too weak. Yes, they are silent, but they simply don't push enough air through the fans to cool it well. You can view all of the fan statistics on Corsair's website, and while fan manufacturer fan specs wildly differ between each other (due to different testing methods), if you are comparing only Corsair products with each other, you will get a good idea of which fans are better (you are looking for static pressure for radiator fans). The noise levels are also directly comparable.

I will be going with a full custom loop in the future (with the Hydro X series), but at least for now, I prefer the H100i RGB Platinum. Though I will say that the NZXT X72 was the best in terms of cooling and noise. The Aer P fans only need to run at around 50-60% and they cool the system very well. The problem is that the monitoring software CAM is the devil and I prefer iCUE.

Sorry for the huge post, but I wanted to share the experience I had with all of Corsair's coolers.

Oh, something I forgot to mention: the white version of the 240mm AIO is the 100i RGB Platinum SE. That one comes with white LL120 fans instead of the ML120 RGB fans. These LL RGB fans are not the same as the standard black LL120. They can spin faster at up to 2200 RPM and therefore have a higher max static pressure rating. They are still not as good as the ML120 RGB fans at the same noise level, but they will definitely be adequate for cooling your system. Hope that helps.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

THANK YOU for the long, detailed post. This is the type of answer I was looking for. Glad to hear feedback from someone with real world applications. I too would very much so love to do a custom loop, however I cant justify the $500-700 cost when that money could upgrade hardware. In a weird way, I am glad to hear of your poor experience with the H150i.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

I just wanted to let you know I bought and installed the H100i, significantly better temps. With the H60 I would sit around 70c under load, occasionally reaching 75c. The H100i keeps me at 48-51c under load, while looking fantastic. Thanks again

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Glad it's working out for you! Thanks for the update!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube